Race Watch

I currently dont race with a watch, a number of reasons really.

1. My Garmin 305 is rather large and getting it over my wetsuit will be hard
  2. Its not fully water proof
  3. I dont want to scare myself to see if im going to slow or to fast and change my race
  4. I havent bought one 
Do you guys race with a watch? If yes please let me know which ones you recommend? and why do you race with one (obviously apart from time tracking)

If no ... why dont you race with one?

Comments

• Cheap casio stopwatch. Just look at the time when the starting hooter goes off.

Garmin for HR and distance on the bike - although if I had a stand alone HR monitor I probably wouldn't bother with the garmin. My next race is ironman distance so I'll probably leave the garmin strapped to the bike and dump the HR strap in transition... maybe.

I need a watch on the run for my run/wak strategy.

• quick recommendation ... dont swim in your 305 ... they arnt really water proof ... I have mine on my bike and pull it on for the bike

I have raced IM twice with my 305 and it has lasted my bike & run (just)

I normaly just have a polar on for the swim (on other wrist) which comes in usefull for my run/walk strategy
  • use the force, its cheaper and ultimately waterproof.

p.s. I race with every gadget going but I have done for years but if it breaks I also know what I am doing on PE.

• Polar RS100.  If I remember I press the lap button to record the various splits and lets me monitor my heart rate.  I use a fairly basic bike computer set to elapsed time (so I know when to eat) then use a Garmin 205 for the run section.  Garmin is used to stop me going off too quickly at the start of the run. 

I don't analyse the figures as much as I could, but depending on the event you may find that the timings you record yourself are much better than the officially published figures.

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    HRM for all sections - connects to my wrist unit (s725i)for HR and time on the the swim and run, connects to my Polar RS200 on the bike for HR, speed and cadence. covers all options I'm interested in that way.

and as Rosey says, if it goes fffffttt, use PE
  • I tend to analysys my Garmin stats as much as possible - Very geek like!

Sorry im a little behind on the 3 letter acronyms? S725i? PE?

What do you use to see the polar stats?

I've seen the mount for the Garmin for th bike so I may invest in that? 

• PE is perceived effort.
  • fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    s725i - Polar HRM model - superceded now by newer models

PE - percieved effort. i.e. you go on how you feel based on experience - 1 is dead, 10 is eyeballs out. most experienced people know what pace they can hold over a distance without needing to resort to gadgets and gizmos.

you can upload from Polar units in a few ways (IR, sonic, USB (?) - model dependant) but need a little Polar receiver unit attached via a USB port to the PC and the Polar software installed (free) to analyse it.

Garmin ANT+ unit is so much easier in many ways but you have only one model that is waterproof, whereas all Polar wrist units are waterproof.
  • To be fair Ive been racing on PE but I think I can go harder... but it depends how you feel on the day I suppose?

• I would not swim in my 305, I wouldnt be able to look at it in any case, but will have it on the bike. I'm not sure it will last for the bike and run (not at my speed anyway!) so will def have a watch as well. I can set it for intervals so will use that for my run-walk I think. Alternative is to carry a little power source strapped to the bike to keep it charged up.
    I will have to think about it... I do rather like the comfort of my 305, even though I tend to use it more for keeping HR down when I get over excited biking or running. Also for over-analysing afterwards!!
    I assume there are distance markers all the way round IMR for pacing / knowing how far away my medal is!?
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

Garmin 310xt is the dog's doodahs.

You can set it up in multisport mode to time whatever you want (so triathlon, duathlon etc etc etc) and even add transitions.  When you are finished the 'event', it will even play a tune.  (I have that turned off on mine.)  

It's waterproof and comes with optional extras of HRM strap and bike cadence sensor.

I love mine.

Lots.

• How long does the battery last Mousie?
  • My mate lost his 310 on the swim last year ... i can get scrappy out there
  • M..o.useM..o.use ✭✭✭

I think I managed to squeeze mine under my wetsuit last year.  The number of people that lost watches (of varying manufacturers) at the Swashbuckler this year, I'd be quite anxious to wear anything expensive on the outside.

Waffy  - not sure.  I got the 15hrs at IMDE out of mine last year without it even telling me the battery was low.

• Supposed to be about 20hrs I think .... plenty of time for me (just)
  • Another Garmin 310 fan.  Goes under my swim cap for the swim then onto wrist once I've got the wetsuit off.  Battery life with GPS enabled is about 18hrs.

• Trogs. wrote (see)

Another Garmin 310 fan.  Goes under my swim cap for the swim then onto wrist once I've got the wetsuit off.  Battery life with GPS enabled is about 18hrs.

Under the swim cap? WTF?

Photo please! image

• I lost my 310 at Eastnor Castle last year. Stripping the wetsuit off also stripped the rubber wrist band off the watch, ho hum. Timex Global Trainer for me now, just need to speed up though, as I'm not sure the battery will last for my expected time in Tenby.
  • I dont use a HRM, watch or bike computer.
  • That said, I guess ive done enough races to be able to go by 'feel', im also not exactly at the sharp end competing for places.
  • imageimage Same here other than the tri stuff.

Iron Rose wrote (see)

use the force, its cheaper and ultimately waterproof.

image And lets face it the force is strong with this one.image 

• marts2smooth wrote (see)
    Trogs. wrote (see)

Another Garmin 310 fan.  Goes under my swim cap for the swim then onto wrist once I've got the wetsuit off.  Battery life with GPS enabled is about 18hrs.

Under the swim cap? WTF?

Photo please! image

Not sure if this'll work but there ya go

You'll have to take my word for it that my 310 is under the swim cap image

• Its loaded at the top menu mate so We cant see any of your pictures..

Trogs. wrote (see)
    marts2smooth wrote (see)
    Trogs. wrote (see)

Under the swim cap? WTF?

Photo please! image

Not sure if this'll work but there ya go

You'll have to take my word for it that my 310 is under the swim cap image

• Well, like I said, you can't see much anyway but if you need to see for yourself, select Hampton Court swim and enter bib no 1293