Amy Whitehouse

RIP

What a talent but what a waste

Comments

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Not completely unexpected, but still sad none the less.

Maybe she's in a better place now??

• Hopefully a more peaceful place Her life and addictions should be used as advertisement to support anti drug work
  • Don't shed any tears. Look at real people all around u and watch how they struggle and keep it together. For celebs it's a badge of immortality to die young but for runners it should be seen as the ultimate cop out.
    The world is a crazy place but if u can lace up your shoes and get to a high point then take a good look around and u will know what it feels to be alive and grateful. Too many good people work too hard to stay with us for us to waste time on popstars that don't realise how precious a gift any talent is.
    Sorry if that sounds harsh but u have to value life or yr life has no value!
  • Easy to say, GTC, but who knows whats going on in the mind of someone who's seriously addicted.... Amy Winehouse always struck me as a very talented* but troubled woman.... not a 'pop star' who courted celebrity; almost reclusive in some respects.

*talented, regardless of whether her music was to everyones 'taste' or not.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Lots of us have problems.  Just because hers were encouraged by the media doesn't make it any less sad than for any person who loses their life at a young age.  I find it particularly sad that people seem to think that she is unworthy of pity or sympathy just because she happened to be famous.

A friend of mine lost her life in February at the age of 22.  She led a similarly tragic life.  Just because she was a runner GTC, doesn't mean that I feel any differently about the loss of life. Yes, I grieved more for my friend because I knew her better, but thewy were both equally tragic situations.

• She was famoous for being a mess.... Hardly a decent example. Waste of fresh air
  • Remember seeing some footage of her doing some recording when she was younger,no tattoos,loveley hair,she looked beautiful,and what a voice.

Saw her live at Old Trafford cricket ground a couple of years ago,she covered a couple of Specials songs which was right up my street. It's a shame what's happened but inevitable I suppose,she chose which path she was gonna follow unlike those poor people in Norway,that's a real tragedy.

• Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭

Sorry had to smile at the 'Whitehouse' Was that Freudian?

Agree that it's sad, she did have a lot of talent and a great signing voice, just not the stability of personality to help her through.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
    She was famoous for being a mess.... Hardly a decent example. Waste of fresh air

No she was famous for being a very talented singer - and as a singer she is a very good example to anyone.    There are plenty of drug addicts and alcoholics - being one doesn't make you famous.   

Obviously she made some poor choices but she's paid the highest price for them.

• She was famous for being an alcoholic, drug-addicted talented singer, not just a talented singer.
  • popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    It's the music that made her famous - unfortunately her addictions were played out in front of the world because of that.    Perhaps I should have written she was famous because of her talent as a singer.
  • Talented ??????????

Must change the batteries in my hearing aid then

• fat buddhafat buddha ✭✭✭
    I have to say when she was on top singing form, her voice could send shivers down my spine - it had a "je ne sais quoi" that you rarely hear in any singer.

as a person, she was a mess

great shame she died so young - but not entirely unexpected under the circumstances which are still only speculation. the PM takes place today which will define the cause of her death but I suspect most of us will know what the outcome of that is. but we could be wrong
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

The one thing that has been posted around this morning that barely 24 hours before she died she had a full medical from her doctor who signed her off for being "well". Maybe it's just one of those things? (agree that she probably went straight out and bought more drugs than her body could take - but the PM will show the real cause). Sometimes you can only fight for so long before it all becomes too much.

She had an amazing talent for songwriting and that should be celebrated. Ultimately, she was someone's daughter and this is tragic for the pure loss of life so young.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Emmy_bug wrote (see)

Ultimately, she was someone's daughter and this is tragic for the pure loss of life so young.

Hear hear.

The ending seemed inevitable, given her history, but still very sad.

• love is blind, and so true in her case, she was in the "right way" before she met her husband/ex not sure if they got divorced. she has always been a talent, and talent brings pressure! her pressure to be perfect, pressure from her surroundings, her relationship, music and other famous people was just too much to bare. no excuse, but not everyone is strongwilled and will be swayed into making decisions not always right.

she did try to better her self, tried so many times rehab, these were calls of help, which i think were being ignored by the people around her. we can mourn a great singer and talented performer, but her peers, family and friends around her who could of helped her should feel very guilty for not doing enough.

influence is very powerful for someone who is under pressure, depressed and trying to prove they can stand on their own two feet.

RIP Amy

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    "She was famous for being a mess"

No, she was famous for her talent. She became infamous because of the mess she became.

"Talented ??????????"

Yes. Exceptionally so.
  • SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭
    Andreia wrote (see)

but her peers, family and friends around her who could of helped her should feel very guilty for not doing enough.

I tend to agree with that, however, I'm not sure that we know the extent to which those around her tried to help her and failed.  I'm sure that there were some who thought that any publicity was good publicity and who encouraged the situation for their own gains, but I am also sure that there are some who were very concerned for her and did all that they thought that they could.

At the end of the day she was a grown adult and couldn't be 'made' to do anything for her own good.  Those who tried have nothing to feel guilty for, but I am sure that they are all blaming themselves anyway.

• i believe her mother told the press she "expected her daughter to die soon the way she is carrying one!"

Now, if you know this, instead of telling the press, shouldn't she been besides her daughters' side and encouraged her to stay longer at rehab? yes she might have been adult, but age is not an indication of maturity is it?

• I have just read this and found it quite moving
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Andreia wrote (see)

...her peers, family and friends around her who could of helped her should feel very guilty for not doing enough.

but they tried to make her go to rehab.

she said no,no,no.

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)
    Andreia wrote (see)

...her peers, family and friends around her who could of helped her should feel very guilty for not doing enough.

but they tried to make her go to rehab.

she said no,no,no.

Naughty Skotty!

An addict will not be told and its ridiculous to try and lay any blame at the feet of anyone other than Amy Winehouse herself.

Anyone that has lived with and/or loved an addict will know that its not until they admit and want to solve their problem will anything actually change. It is sad for her family and friends but its not a shock.

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭
    Andreia wrote (see)

i believe her mother told the press she "expected her daughter to die soon the way she is carrying one!"

Now, if you know this, instead of telling the press, shouldn't she been besides her daughters' side and encouraged her to stay longer at rehab? yes she might have been adult, but age is not an indication of maturity is it?

Very hard to judge from the outside - I have never worked with drug addicts but speaking to people who have the common theme is the addiction means you just can't trust a word they say.   By all accounts I've read - admittedly not many - her family did what they could.  

• Andreia wrote (see)

i believe her mother told the press she "expected her daughter to die soon the way she is carrying one!"

That's desperately judgemental to the families of people with substance misuse issues.  No amount of help and support from anyone can make someone change if for whatever reasons their intrinsic motivation to change is not there.

I have spent hours with wives / husbands / boyfriends / girlfriends / parents of people with drug or alcohol problems who are at the absolute end of their tether, ahving tried everything in their power to help their loved ones...  I have seen old parents remortgage their family home to get someone into private rehab, I have seen parents spending all night out looking for their son or daughter who hasn't come home in days, I have seen girlfriends starting to use just to understand what their boyfriend was feeling that was more important than what they had together...  The desperation can't be understood unless you're in their shoes.

You know very little about AW's family, other than what's in the press, about the true desperation they have experienced.  I've had mum's and dad's say to me that they were convinced they would lose their son or daughter before their time.  It was always nothing other than an admission of their powerlessness over the situation and admitting to this feeling of "impending doom", never an expression of not caring.

• I believe I'm not being judgemental, I'm speaking from experience.

I did have a family member totally dependent to drugs, and it teared the family part, half desperate to help, half didn't as she was "an adult" and could look after herself.

i wanted to help and i did, not in the most straight forward way, but we managed to get her clean, and now she is finally happy. i might know very little about Amy's family, all i know has been portrayed in the media, but that is what I'm talking about. I never proclaimed to have inside knowledge, i don't work for news of the world.

there are ways to help addicts, not all want to be helped, believe. most are so vulnerable, so desperate to live in their own imaginary bubble they are happy to carry on all means necessary. but some do need support, need to know help is out there, to be shown another way to live. most addicts do not know how they got their, nor how to get out

• Andreia wrote (see)

I believe I'm not being judgemental, I'm speaking from experience.

You speak from personal experience of her family??  No?  Well then you're being judgemental. 

And if you have personal experience of the chaos, anxiety, stress and helplessness someone with a substance misuse problem can bring to a family, then you should know better but to blame them and tell them they should feel guilty for not having "saved" her.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Andreia wrote (see)

To be fair (to Mrs Winehouse and to Andreia), the press probably asked her "Do you think Amy will die soon the way she is carrying on?" and she may have replied anything other than "NO, sod off", and they would report it as if she had phoned them to tell them that.

In fact, even if she had told them to Sod Off............

If you believe all the shit you read in the newspapers and the celeb magazines, you will believe the worst of everyone.  No-one knows fully what went on in Amy's life or her family's.  Nor do we really need to.