Vegan running shoes

Hi! Can anyone suggest anywhere where you can buy leather free proper running shoes??? A friend is vegan and is looking to take up running??????

Comments

• No matter how 'fringe' your ideals are, you can find like minded other odd folk on the web. I would advise checking out veganrunners for advise, or join the barefoot brigade.

http://www.veganrunners.org.uk/articles/vegan_running_shoes_and_trainers_1398.html
  • Ohhh just found out that all Newton products are vegan friendly, and some merrell products are.. as i wear these I can't help wonder if it balances out all the big macs I eat.
  • Platic is made from oil and oil is made from organic matrial including animals so it barefoot for you matey.
  • My understanding of veganism is that no animal should have suffered directly or been exploited directly to produce a product.  I'm not sure that the organic material in oil quite qualifies for that.  I find it a reasonable question to ask in a running forum, where you might assume there would be others who might know. 

I'm not vegan, btw.  I lack the focus and the application for it.  I have massive respect for people who are.

• I think a lot of the wildlife in the Gulf during the BP leak may well have suffered.
  • New Balance only use synthetic material, I believe.

http://www.newbalance.co.uk/

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭
    I would suggest that the starting point for running shoes is whether they are the right ones for your gait. Otherwise, injury beckons.
  • North London Runner wrote (see)
    I think a lot of the wildlife in the Gulf during the BP leak may well have suffered.

My first post was in response to your point that plastic = animal product.  I do think that was pushing it. 

We've shifted to another argument: animals suffered due to what happened in the gulf.  True, clearly. 

I suppose the difference is that leather, suede etc. cause animal suffering first-hand.  Consuming those things has a direct link.  If this is then widened to avoiding anything that might cause suffering second-hand you're probably going to end up broke (better walk to work, and leave the light off if you're not going to use energy), naked (those clothes were shipped into the country, right?  Or if they weren't, the materials were.  What powered the boats?  And did anyone make sure the shipping lanes were free of marine life?) and halfway insane.  Either that or slumped over your loom, weaving flax and eating your own carrots. 

I've found I have to choose which evils of the world I'll "accept" (i.e. not do anything about) and what I'll try and live my life so I'm avoiding contributing to where possible.  And half the time its easy to fuck up even on the things you're trying to observe some level of self-regulation with.  I suppose this is the same issue where someone wishes to avoid wearing leather/ suede as it is made directly from animal skins, but has to tolerate a product that is less directly linked to animal suffering. 

We do seem to make overly-exacting demands of people who have made a specific moral decision - as if making that decision means they have to be completely blameless in every aspect.  I've yet to meet anyone who was quite that holy.  Veganism means not using animal products, but can vegans be held responsible for using petrol too, because oil companies haven't done enough to safeguard their production processes?  Seems rather a lot to demand. 

So - I'd say if you've chosen to avoid a running shoe with animal products in it, good luck to you.  Asking on a running forum seems a particularly appropriate thing to do. 

It looks as if Asics do a range of them:

http://www.nextag.com/asics-vegan/stores-html

Though I don't know anything about nextag as an outlet.  Might not be the place to buy them from.  I would hope that a major brand like that would be able to supply something suitable for your gait.

• Thanks for your replies-didn't mean to stir up such a discussion!! I will pass on your suggestions to my friend.
  • skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    i have never expecting running shoes to be edible.
  • "Consume" as in purchase, as a happy consumer in our shining society. image

Jellied heel - not bad.  Trying to think of a comeback and failing...

• This is a question that comes up every now and then.  Just for your information, I've checked with our production guys and all Saucony technical running shoes are vegan friendly (other than our walking.fitness type shoes with the advertised "Leather upper", of course!).

Hope that helps.

• This is a question that comes up every now and then.  Just for your information, I've checked with our production guys and all Saucony technical running shoes are vegan friendly (other than our walking/fitness type shoes with the advertised "Leather upper", of course!).

Hope that helps.

• Vivo barefoot running shoes are vegan etc etc image and fantastic to run in, best shoes I have ever had.

• somiansomian ✭✭✭

How about a pair of plimsolls; would then encourage forefoot style as well, and cheap

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Post, two years late.

🙂

• I think Mo Farah will win a double Olypic Gold in 2012

• Vivos are brilliant - all I run in there days - if your friend is just getting into running, then now's the time to learn good form, not try and change it later.

• Mr BoatMr Boat ✭✭✭

NW4: They are nowadays but they weren't back in 2011 when this thread started.

• Try www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersguides/clothing/trainers. They have scored most brands on there.

@"Mrs Gump" said:
    > Hi! Can anyone suggest anywhere where you can buy leather free proper running shoes??? A friend is vegan and is looking to take up running??????
  • > @"[Deleted User]" said:
    > Hi! Can anyone suggest anywhere where you can buy leather free proper running shoes??? A friend is vegan and is looking to take up running??????

I can suggest WINQS: https://www.getitvegan.com/resources/brands/winqs

Not only are they leather-free, but they're completely free of animal-derived materials and ingredients, including in the glues. They're also made with fair labour in Germany, and are a climate-neutral company. I hope that helps!