Sound vs Silence

1121314151618»

Comments

• Banshees. Now they really should be banned..........
  • pmsl!!!

I have a thought...have two starts for each race....the no ipodders can go first, as of course, them being serious runners are bound to be faster than us heathen ear crutched brigade and then we can go next....say give them a 5 minute head start.....image

• Wrinkly Smurf....is that why his hair stood on end? ....David Bowie that is
  • I can't believe there are eight other Barry Smiths on here.....image
  • But, FF, if what they say about those of us who listen to music is true, then we'll never know when to start as we won't be able to hear them say go!!!!! Or we'll be so busy falling over......................!!!image

Perhaps they need one of those starting pistols that they have in cartoons that go "bang" - they could change it to read "go!!!"  image  That's always assuming that those of us who listen to music can also read........................

• ...Doubt it image

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm directed at the no brigade? ..tinker......

• That could work CJBA!! Then we could meander our way to the finish line without anyone having to try to take us over on our crooked paths....there would be deathly silence as none of us would be talking to each other....but of course that will be compensated for by the lively debate and conversation going on with the socialable runners ahead of us....and if we overtake any of them....well they can't possibly be serious runners if that happens can they....  And as for those of us that don't hear the marshall warning of a cliff edge and fall to our demise with a beat in our ears....well we've all got to go somehow image

Sarcasm Simon??? not sure what you mean image

• FF - didn't hear a word he said!

At least we'd go with rythm in our souls!!!  And a smile on our faces!image

• Those last few posts made me laugh and did raise a bit of a point, sarcasm maybe the lowest form of wit but it is still funny..........

Whilst on holiday in Cornwall I went on one coastal run, Ipod as usual. As my volume is sensible, I said hello to all the others walking on the path, thanks the ones who made way for me on the narrow bits, joked with others about nearly being there blah blah. When I got a to a road at the bottom of the path I had to virtually stop behind a party of folk, loudly chattering and who had spread themselves out to the extent that I could not get past without "battering" into them. I slowed right down to a deep breath, I could not be cross they were as entitle to use the path as I was, then one of them looked round, made a roadrunner "meep meep" noise, encouraged the rest to let me through, I thanked profusely and went past.

So on my way back 10 minutes later, they were all still in the road, but seeing me approaching they all moved out the way and encouragement and laughter, with a clear passage, I went through no problem and continued on my merry way.

So this proves sound or the lack of it is not the problem its visibility that makes you react.......

Which is why all emergency vehicles use flashing lights before noisy siren systems.

So I postulate now, quick runners should be fitted with a flashing light, and that will help them get past anyone MP3 geared up or not................

Staggered start though seriously is a good idea, for those of us not keen to run without music can still put in our bests and I reckon 5 minutes wont be quite enough for all, but as we all talk here about the right to choice, it provides one, which has to be a good thing,

Gazzer

• I run in the US and the majority of Races attempt to ban headphones, but rather enter into a conversation about why, most of the organisers state its an insurance requirement. so does this mean that Deaf people are banned from racing?. if people want to run with headphones then let them. cant we all just run along and enjoy it our way?

• Any device that impairs hearing is banned in cycling andd triathlon on H&S grounds.  I would rather peopleran with headphines in than adopted the latest craze of walking round with a mobile phone speaker on full pelt.
  • i can not run without music, its the only thing that helps me hide the pain i'm feeling and gives me motivation.
  • I have only been running since April and have been using my ipod on most of my training runs and three of the four 10k races I have done.

While using the ipod is motivating I find it very fidly with even supposedly running specifc addidas ear pieces falling out in the smallest amount of wind.  I tried my last race without the ipod and ran a PB - 42 09 so I will continue to run with the Ipod when training but without when racing.

• Don't run with music racing or training but good to see the debate being brought up again!!image
  • oiyouoiyou ✭✭✭

This particular thread is now just over 3 years old, and the subject has been done over in countless other threads without anything new being said.

I am looking forward to the dabate that will inevitabkly start when people take to wearing these.