Sandwiches for the week made on a Sunday

Does anybody else make there packed lunch for work on a Sunday and put it in the Fridge .

Recently at work one of my colleagues decided to let us into the information that he makes his sandwiches on a Sunday and puts them in the fridge to keep for the week ??????

we all showed our disgust to how would the butter taste after a few days and would the bread not be soggy ?????

He saw no wrong ..

Have your say , is this the act of normal people ????????????????????????????

Comments

• as long as it's not causing him any problems then I don't see what the issue is. it's his choice to do that even if you don't like it....
  • ClagClag ✭✭✭

I've heard of people making sandwiches and putting them in the freezer - think it depends on the filling you're using whether you can do that or not.

Seems to me rather strange to do either. I especially don't like the idea of them sitting in the fridge all week - surely they'd go hard?

I'll be interested to see what others do - as someone who tends to lack the organisational skills to have the time and consumbales to make one sandwich I'm probably not the best person to comment. Lunch for me tends to be a big tub of Philadephia light to do the week and a box of oatcakes.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Personally I wouldn't do that, as I've always found that chilling bread diminishes the quality.

But each to their own image

• No different than buying prepacked sandwiches from a supermarket chilled cabinet that have probably been in the wrapping for a few days.

At least he/she knows the contents of the sandwiches and is saving a few bob... also plus of course carbon footprint jobbie thingy savings you know. 

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    "decided to let us into the information" - you mean he told you? Possibly as a friendly contribution to a conversation?

"we all showed our disgust"

lol - I can hear you now, like a bunch of kids: "eeeeewww! That's disGUSting!" Which is bad enough coming from kids, but...

Presumably if it tasted vile he wouldn't do it, perhaps he chooses fillings that are happy to be kept in the fridge, perhaps he'll think again before sharing an innocuous part of his life with you in the name of sociability?
  • He shared the information with us on the part of being lazy and did admit to the bread not being the best or the meat on it tasting particularly good by the end of the week .

He does and openly admits that it's laziness in which he cannot be bothered to do fresh i hence FRESH sandwiches each morning .

In the case of all you that think this seems fine would you buy sandwiches out of a chilled fridge in a shop or supermarket that you know have been there all week or would you choose the sandwiches that are fresh and more appealing ?????????

• JjJj ✭✭✭
    In that case he deserves a poorly tummy. image

(and that my friends, was a paradigm shift) image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I used to work with a bloke who made sandwiches and froze them.

He'd get them out in the morning, and they'd be defrosted by lunchtime.  He did advise not putting lettuce in them image

I take my lunch to work each day - sometimes that;s a sandwich, or left-overs from the night before.

Don't see any problem with keeping sarnies in the fridge if they still taste OK on Friday.  Supermarket bread lasts a long while, I believe? 

All a question of taste - I don't like supermarket bread, and my home made bread probably wouldn't last five days.  I've never managed to keep any that long to find out!

With regard to choosing sandwiches from a shop - I'd be looking at the use-by date to determine if they were still OK to eat.

• Jj wrote (see)
    "decided to let us into the information" - you mean he told you? Possibly as a friendly contribution to a conversation? "we all showed our disgust" lol - I can hear you now, like a bunch of kids: "eeeeewww! That's disGUSting!" Which is bad enough coming from kids, but... Presumably if it tasted vile he wouldn't do it, perhaps he chooses fillings that are happy to be kept in the fridge, perhaps he'll think again before sharing an innocuous part of his life with you in the name of sociability?

..perhaps take the thread with a dash of humour jj..its meant in 'good taste'-lolimage

..JB, im with you on this..7day old, 168 hour old sandwiches..nooooo way....imagine if they had egg or lettuce?..image...not sure on the freezing methodimage

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

But why is it "laziness"?

He makes five sandwiches on a Sunday, or he makes one sandwich each day - how is making them all at once somehow lazier than doing one at a time?  image

• Thank you Llb

who keeps bread in the fridge as a normal everyday thing ??? to keep it fresh ????? or is it kept in a bread bin or in a cool dry place ????? if the fridge was that good to keep in the fridge would they not advise you keep bread in there ??

Hence cool dry place

• Wilkie as i put in one of the other posts Fresh Sandwiches or a week old , which one would you buy ??????????????????????
  • I wouldn't do it myself, but also wouldn't say it's 'disgusting'.

Bread does go stale if kept in the fridge, so Thursday and Friday's sandwiches are probably not the best, but that's probably the only issue.... the filling and butter would all be fine, but definitely avoid anything like tomatoes which would soak into the bread image.

Supermarket sandwiches have a shelf life of about 3 days (from production); I avoid buying them if I can help it, but if I have to, I always sort through to the back of the chiller to find that latest dates.... the bread is usually pushing it a bit in the older ones.

• hang on a sec JB - you've run out of ?. have a few more

????????????????????????????????????????????????????

there ya go... image

as for keeping bread in a fridge - many people do. it's not recommended as fridges have a habit of dehydrating foodstuffs so they go dry quicker. but if his sarnies are wrapped in clingfilm or foil the bread should be OK.

his life - let him live it
  • guess its just you n me agreeing on this JB..image
  • Most of the contents of my sandwiches are bought at the weekend so will be nearly a week old by Friday so what's the big deal about making them into a sandwich on Sunday instead of making them into a sandwich each day?  TBH some of the ingredient, such as mayonnaise and butter, will have been in the fridge a lot longer than a week.  It may not produce the best tasting sandwich because it might go soggy and the bread may not be at its best but it's not disgusting.

• ...is it the   GCSE question paper exclusively for chavs ?image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    JB74 wrote (see)
    Wilkie as i put in one of the other posts Fresh Sandwiches or a week old , which one would you buy ??????????????????????

I very rarely buy a sandwich, but, (as I said in one of the other posts), I would look at the use-by date.  I wouldn't know how long they had been in there in any case.

Why are you so worried about what your colleague eats?  Have you been pinching his sarnies? image

• Possibly wilkie depends how hungry i become lo

• As a probably irrelevant aside, I keep bread in the freezer, which for breakfast toast is fine.

I prefer rolls for lunch. Freeze them too. But not the fillings.

Sorry. Carry on...

• Chilled marmite sandwiches might be nice...
  • Marmite errrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you either love it or you hate it lol
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Waitrose have put a right spanner in the works of my lunchtime routine.  They've stopped providing the salad bar till the refurbishment is complete in September.

Grrrr! etc.

The new veggie diet's going well though.  Mushroom, leek and cheese omelette this evening and saute potatoes w/ red pepper, spring onions, garlic & ginger. Nice!

• i want some of that for my tea tooimagesounds yummy nom nom nom
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Do you like washing up?  image
  • One of my favourite veggie meals is wild mushroom, spinch and goat's cheese tart.  you have to make it with filo pastry though - a bit like a variation of Spanikopita I suppose.

As for week old sarnies - each to their own I suppose. 

• JWrunJWrun ✭✭✭

week old sarnies? ewwwwwwwww, plus i'm not organised enough to know what i want to eat 5 days in advance, the night before yes but not a week in advance! Plus i usually like loads of salad cream on my sangers so they would just be a big soggy mess by the end of the week!