Ramadan fasting and running

Just wondered if there was anybody else out there fasting and running and what have you noticed?

This is the first year I've tried to run while fasting, last year I just stopped running for a month.  So far I've run twice just before iftar time (after 14 hours of fasting).  The first time I went much slower than my normal pace as I was nervous of collapsing or something and ran 4.5 miles, (normally I would run about 5 or 6 for an easy run).  As I felt really good, for my next run I went more or less my normal pace for the same distance and again felt great.  I should add that I live in Turkey and it was about 30C when I was running, so all in all a pretty positive experience.  

Has anybody else tried running at different times of the day or is running before the evening meal generally considered the best time to run?       

Comments

• You should run at the time that suits you best not the time others dictate you should run. In the UK  people run at all times of the day, early before breakfast, before work, during lunch break, just after work or late at night just before bedtime.

I have no problem running even though I haven't eaten for hours, I don't even need to drink water and I'll be fine (even in hot temperatures). But the most important thing is does it feel ok for you? if it does continue if not make changes. In the temperatures you are at and with not eating maybe you could run at night when it is cooler and you have eaten? Or go up a bit earlier in the morning, then it won't be so long ago since you ate and it will be cooler then in the evening.

So experiment with running at different times as there really are no rules to running.

Also as long as you get a sufficient amount of calories per 24 hours to keep your energy up you should be fine running through Ramadan.

• Thanks for replying.

Actually, I was just really surprised at how good I felt.  I don't think I could manage running in the morning, in spite of it being cooler, because after running I would have to go the whole day without drinking.  Psychologically, it feels easier knowing that soon after finishing my run I can break my fast and drink.  I have a friend who runs at midnight but this would be impossible for me logistically (with a family etc).  As for the calories - I have no problems with eating enough and usually lose very little weight during Ramadan.

I'm just very happy I can fast without having to give up running for a month. 

• Assalamu Alaikum Jude, I tend to try to scale back my running during Ramadan purely because of the logistics of getting everything I need to do during the day. I tend also to run in the evenings after Iftar simply because that's when I feel I can enjoy the run most, any other time of the day I feel like I'm having to rush things, to take care not to dehydrate too much etc
  • Interesting thread, as i was wondering, while watching Mo Farah run the other day, how the elite athletes cope during this time, especially when not allowed to drink either.

• Yes, you are not the only one. I also do Ramadan (i'm muslim)

Is tricky to run during ramadan. The worse thing is not drinking water.

I don't really run as such in ramadan, i just go for easy jogs, and i do it in the evening before iftar, that way i can drink water when i get home.

I find it gentle to arrive home after a gentle jog, have shower, get clean, and then am ready for iftar,

But having said that personally i do suffer from a health ailment and i am on medication. I have to take medicine at certain times of day, so i don't fast everyday for that medical reason. 

• I am not a very serious runner. I run 2-3 miles everyday/alternate days just for fitness.

I have collapsed once, thats why I prefer running after iftar. I take two-three glasses of juice and a bowl of mix fruits, rest for 30 minutes, and off i go. I settled up for this routine after trying various foods and timings around iftar.