Started 8 wk beginner's schedule today

Comments

• Hmm, just realised that the notifications which I get to my email when someone posts had stopped for some reason, yet you've all been posting away as usual! Thought it seemed a bit quiet!! Will catch up later! xx

• Hope the doc is able to sort your knee out Iain - though rest would seem sensible!

Went out for another run today - shorter than yesterday deliberately, but I kept running except for the stiles, gates and level crossing, so feel as if I've got my mojo back image And I'd been for a 7-8 mile cycle ride this morning too, so my legs have certainly done some work today. No knee pains either, which I'm very pleased about (sorry Iain!)

Not sure if I'll run tomorrow - I'll try to as we go away on friday so am unlikely to be able to run that day, but 3 runs in 3 days is unheard of for me, so I'll see how I feel and if I can fit it in sometime. The dog will need a walk of some sort, so if I can run it instead then it'll kill two birds with one stone - so to speak!

• Hi Iain,  I'm afraid I won the dumb arse of the day trophy myself yesterday when I held my bus TICKET up to the scanner and wondered why it wasn't beeping....... (forgot to top up card lol) You can have second prize hehe! (If it's any consolation I completely understand and probably would have done the same as you did. And now I would be thinking -"maybe if I put ice on it then it would be OK to run in a knee support thingy...... actually the ice isn't a bad idea just don't go for another  run yet!)

Hope it's nothing too serious- get a doc to have a look to beon the safe side!

Hi Minty, that's happened to me before too! I've started looking at the thread anyway just to check... and still probably miss stuff! 

Great to hear you've had a couple of good runs Miffy - it's a great feeling, it's just happened to me too after a few dodgy ones! If I were you I WOULDN'T run tomorrow, all the advice I've read on here and other places says rest days are important (I normally do two days in a row Sunday and Monday though). Although if the dog wants a run.... you can't really say no! image

I have had..... an absolutely brilliant day today! It started with my normal 20 minute cross trainer workout - but I managed to get the evil machine OFF level one after the first 5 minutes - then 10 whole minutes on level two (a record for me on this one...) then FIVE WHOLE MINUTES on level 3! ( so far a minute and a half has been the most on 3). 

Work wasn't too boring OR too stressful - just ok-ish.

Then I had a great driving lesson - through the city centre again but it was 6pm so busier than last week as I had the rush hour traffic to contend with. I think I did OK! (And either Iron Maiden were playing in Nottingham tonight, or every single bloke had coincidentally decided to wear the same t-shirt....)

And THEN.... I had my best run yet!

The free app I downloaded for my phone didn't work (Endomondo I think it's called...?) - it just timed me but thought I'd stayed in the same place. It did count me down before I started and advised me to go and "release those endorphins" in a strange robotic voice though!

Tommy - I'm still giggling about the bloke who's run stopped in the middle  of a motorway - it sounds like the same MapMyRun I use on the computer, I might have to cough up and pay 50p-ish so I can get one that works when I'm running!

I went late again, about 8:10pm - the weather was just right.  It felt GREAT - even the hills weren't too bad. I think I've got a little bit faster too - not much though! I had more than enough energy to go faster a couple of times to overtake people or cross roads - then a bit near the end just for the hell of it. 

A couple of chavs near the end started going "run run run run " at me, and they sounded a bit jeery so I just pulled a face at them and kept going. It was when I just started my last downhill bit so I could have lost them if necessary lol!

I went further too - I added in a few local backstreets instead of just running down the main road and back up it again. One was a bit too steep so I just ran back down it again when it kept going up! 

When I got in a and realised the app didn't work, I put the slightly revised route into mapmyrun instead- 5.62km, so just short of 3.5 miles! image I think that's the distance at the running club for the next two weeks, on flatter roads too - so I'm not worried about it now. It took me 37:23 today. 

Oh and the bumbag wasn't too uncomfortable! image

Night off tomorrow image

• Hi everyone,

Well, after my excitement at running 1 hour on monday, i had such a rubbish run yesterday - it was quite hot, and then it got overcast and drizzly so i headed out then - i had a bit of a headache before i left but didn't think too much of it and carried on - and lasted 15mins only. So i gave up, and then went out again this morning, and got the hour done thankfully. I'm still avoiding hills though!!

Miffy - i'm really happy to hear you've had some good runs....maybe you should take a wee rest day though and let your body and joints recover, especially as the knee pain has improved - you want to keep it that way. You must be superfit with the cycling too!!

Tommy - treadmill or not, you still ran so well done. Everyone seems to do so much more exercise than just running - it makes me feel very lazy indeed.

Iain - thats awful for you - hope the doctor can help......has the pain eased off any since you stopped running?

Cheetah - you had a very successful day yesterday - that was a great run, and crosstraining too!! Glad to hear the driving lessons are going well too, its no joke learning to drive through any city, even worse at rush hour!!

Minty - thought you'd been a bit quiet lately, lol.

Hope you all enjoy your runs.....imagexx

• Well done to all those who ran over the last few days, keep it going.

My GP concurs with the previous thoughts of the physio I saw last week, strain to the ligaments, not serious but need to rest it and LISTEN to the physios advice! So, no runs for 2 weeks, cycling only (no impact) and then  gradual return to the runs on the treadmill, only if there is no further discomfort and to STOP if it starts to hurt again!
    Told the physio today what had happened, who smiled and told me I was a typical bloke who thought he knew best!

I now have a big blue support sleeve for my knee and a slapped wrist for not doing as i was told! image

I have consoled myself with sausage and black pud sarnies for my tea! (its all protein, honest!)

• Evening all, hope you're all well.

Iain - sorry to read about your knee, as hard as it will be you really do need to rest. Easier said than done but you don't want to make it any worse. Hope it soon heals, consider your wrist well and truly slapped!

Miffy - glad you have your mojo back. Three runs in three days sounds like a lot, especially with cycling thrown in - I agree with Cheetah, the rest days are as important as running days, you don't want to overdo things and end up injured.

Cheetah - wow, so glad you've had a brilliant day, and what a great post to read! image Well done on the running and the driving, and the cross-trainer. I haven't been on one of those since I gave up my gym membership but I do remember them being really hard work. Enjoy your night off!

Snails - sorry your running didn't go to plan, isn't funny how much things can change from day to day. I know what you mean about everyone else doing more than just running. I sit in front of a computer all day and the only other exercise I do is walking to and from work.

Minty and Tommy and anyone else I've missed, hope your running is going well.

I had a good run this morning too - another 30 mins non-stop and with about 5 mins to go I suddenly got a second wind and it felt great! My strides got longer and I felt like I was properly running rather than stumbling along all flat-footed. Good job it was early and no-one was around, I could suddenly hear a voice in my head saying "Run Forrest run!" and I got the giggles image No calf pain either - hurrah!

Night all, and happy Fridays image
  • Norfolk Lass, I am all slapped out (got sore wrists now to match my knee!), and promise not to run again until healed!
    It was daft to run on the road without speaking to the physio first, just really wanted to get out in the fresh air for a bit and stretch my legs, and it felt really good at first.
    Its annoying that my last run prior to that was 5k in 25 mins on the treadmill without any issues! The knee problem was not affecting me every time I ran, but with hindsight (and on checking my run log) it mostly happened when I had tried to train 3 days in a row, so tired muscles probably didn't work as efficiently and therefore I was putting more strain on the ligaments.

I am going to do as i'm told, follow the regime the physio has set, and aim to be fit to run for the 24th September, which is a Saturday, Parkrun, and also happens to be my 40th birthday.
    It'll be good to start it with a new PB over 5k!

Watch this space.

• Hi everyone, sorry for the recent absence! As I said, my notifications suddenly stopped working for no reason, now working randomly, but will just check in here regularly now. I'm so far behind! Had a quick read through the recent posts. You lot are funny! Me and OH have been LOLOLOLOL re the man who's run finished in the middle of the motorway!! And the cat craziness! image

Anyway, re my running this week. Have been doing run 2/walk 1 x 7 this week and going really well! No pain still. image. Was due to go last night, but OH was out so I was babysitting, then today I seem to have come down with the cold which the kids have had for a few days. My youngest has been sleeping terribly with it so am totally knackered aswell. Anyway, needless to say, decided not to go this eve. Off to the caravan tomorrow again, so looking forward to a scenic run tomorrow eve. There's a regatta on so should be lots of fun and games to watch!

So, sorry for the short post but I must go to bed now and try to kick this cold! Will be back on Sunday eve so will catch up then.  Hope you all have a lovely weekend!

xxxx

• Just a quick update here, had some good runs this week and looking forward to starting the second week of running, can't wait for the bigger challenge.  I will probably write a longer post on Monday after my run when I have more time. Hope everyone is doing well.

• Hi all, hope you've had good weekends. Actually managed to sit in the garden in the sunshine for a couple of hours this afternoon, it was lovely!

Minty - so glad you haven't had any more pain and can concentrate on the plan without any injury worries. Hope your cold hasn't spoiled your plans and you've had a good weekend. The regatta sounds good, we've headed over to Stokesby to watch the Three Rivers race for the past couple of years and always really enjoyed it. Not into sailing at all but it's a nice excuse to sit in a beer garden for the afternoon!

Tommy - brilliant stuff! Glad your running is going well, and I hope you have a good run tomorrow.

After finishing the couch to 5k programme and doing a few 30 min runs I've decided to work towards 10k. My plan is to carry on running three times a week with two half hour runs during the week and then slowly lengthen my weekend run until I'm up to 60mins/10k - I did 33mins this morning and although my left calf felt a little bit tight afterwards I did plenty of stretching and it's been fine since. Phew! The rule seems to be not to increase your distance or time by more than 10% so I'm going to stick to that and try 36mins next weekend. My only worry is that only increasing one run per week won't be enough to adapt to longer runs, but I guess I'll just try it and see how it goes.

And although I'm running for 30mins I'm doing about 4.5k rather than 5k, but I'm hoping that if I carry on lengthening my runs to 10k the distance I cover in 30mins will slowly increase too. I've also decided to treat myself to a watch, maybe a garmin, so I can set the times and see how far I've run too. At the moment I'm using the timer on my phone but it's really annoying and difficult trying to reset it for the second half while running! Cheetah, which watch did you get for your birthday, and do you like it?
  • Evening - I'm DEFINITELY  not a cheetah today (apart from the temperatures  being close to their natural habitat! )

I went to the running club, and due to the desert-like temperatures I figured I'd better go for endurance rather than speed. I managed the full 3.5 miles (some didn't...) but I had to throw in a couple of walk breaks to stop me completely passing out from the heat. I don't know how long it took me, neither do I care - just glad it's over! image

Minty and Tommy - glad your runs have been going well! 

Norfolklass - I'm not sure what make my watch is, it doesn't say on the watch itself and the instructions just say "Pulse Watch!".  I haven't worked out all the stuff it does yet, I need to read the instructions. I've just been using the stop watch, and checking my pulse so I know I'm still alive! It doesn't do GPS, I'm still trying to find one for my phone that works! 

That's it from me tonight, I'm too hot to type lol !

• Just thought I'd chip in.. if you're scared of parkrun, don't be. It's a very relaxed and casual event full of lots of different people. Fast runners, slow runners, kids, families. It's a brilliant event. I've never ran it but I did go and watch the start of one here the other week and it put any anxiety fears I had to rest. Parkrun deserve a huge pat on the back for what they do every week. I think it's brilliant.
  • Hi everyone,

Well i am most excited - i decided i'd reward myself for completing the 10k plan (even though i substituted my final 1 hour run for a speed session) - so i bought a Garmin 305.....used it for the first time tonight, and was very distracted by it as i kept checking my pace (which was woeful) and my distance. Since i've come home again though i've worked out that you can set distance targets with it, so i'll try that next time and try and not look at it........i'm so NOT technical!! I've also signed up for a 10K race next week, and now i kinda regret it, cos i did 3miles tonight and found it tough enough. Still, i know i can do an hour, so i'm hoping the atmosphere will help carry me along.

Iain - hope the knee is getting better, and that its not too frustrating for you not being able to run at the minute. Its good you kept the running log - at least you can see now that you need to incorporate rest days or cross-training into your training schedule.

Norfolklass - congratulations on finishing your 5K plan - yay!! Your new schedule sounds good too, so good luck with that. I read quite a few reviews on the garmin watches, and went for the 305 cos it has the heart rate monitor whereas i think the 205 is the same except with no HR monitor - not that am planning on using the HR bit just yet, but its there if i need it. I got it on Amazon for £116, and i think the 205 was £80.

Minty - are you feeling better now?? Hope you all enjoyed the regatta and your weekend away. Its great your knee pain has stayed away too. Whats your running plan this week?

Cheetah - it's so tough running in the heat isn't it - good on you that you did 3.5miles! Do you carry a drink with you? I tried to when i did the hour, but it was awkward in my hand to carry, and then i looked a right eejit trying to co-ordinate drinking and running at the same time! I ended up wearing some of it!!

Tommy - so glad to hear you've had good runs and that you are looking forward to your second week. Don't you feel such a sense of achievement when you are ready to progress to the next week!

Miffy - hows things with you? Hope your runs are going well.

Norwichrunner - welcome to the thread, and thanks for your advice re the parkrun - its nice to know its quite a casual and relaxed event. I might give it a go sometime (providing i'm alive after the 10K).

Hope you all enjoy your runs image.......i'm actually going to change how i finish to 'hope you all enjoy your running', cos every time i type about 'runs' i think of diarrhoea - or maybe thats another thought i should have kept in my head!! imagexxx

• Hi and welcome NorwichRunner, I'd LOVE to try a parkrun, I just wish my nearest one was either a bit nearer or started a bit later - or a cross between the two! Maybe if I can ever learn to drive it will be easier to get to!

Snails - I am JEALOUS of your Garmin image <<Jealous pukey face. I WANT ONE *stamps feet*

I don't normally take a drink with me - I did at first but like you I just found it too annoying to hold (or drink without choking!) I did however buy a Lucozade to take yesterday as it was just sooo hot - it was straight from the fridge when we set off, and it was more like a cup of tea afterwards!I normally just down lots of cold water when I get in.

There was someone taking pictures at the running club yesterday, and the camera was pointing right at me when I was about half way round.... So I pulled a silly face and waved my arms.

I have no idea who this mad woman with the boiling Lucozade is though!

I'm off to bed very soon, I'm going to have to face my fear of mornings tomorrow as the new cross trainer has died (we're in mourning, it was great......) and I'll go crazy without my morning workout - so I've decided to go for a run before work, in between coffees! Wish me luck! image

• Hi Everyone!

Hooray! I'm back! I know I seem to be full of excuses recently but we returned from the caravan on Sunday to a message from a friend asking if she could come to visit us on Monday and stay here with her two young kids and so I went into panic mode sorting out our tip of a house and she went home today so I have some time to write!

Had a lovely weekend at the caravan thanks! Got up early on Sunday morning to do my run along a lovely path next to the marshes then up along the sea defence path for a while. But, afraid to say that I didn't manage to finish it. Started off well, but it was soo warm even at 7, which really affected me. Also, went on my own as mum was still tucked up in bed, and I suspect I was trying to go too fast infront of the fit sailing types who were the only other people up and about at that time!

Anyway, went out again on Monday evening with mum, back in the park near home, and it wasn't too bad, managed to finish OK, but my right calf was quite sore at the end. Seems to have recovered ok tho. Haven't gone this evening due to stupid weather, but think tomorrow should be cooler so plan to go then.  MUST aim to progress to running 3 mins next week! It's getting a bit silly.

Iain, sorry to hear about your knee! How is it doing now?

Cheetah - sorry to hear your cross trainer has died! You must just be too hard core for it to keep up! Thanks for the great pic! Keep meaning to get my DH to take one of me in my running gear to upload to my profile. Did you do your run this morning?

Snails - Well done on running for one hour, and completing the 10K plan! That's brill, and I'm going to look up your Garmin now on the internet and be jealous. What day is the race next week? LOL re runs - no that hadn't occurred to me, but will now everytime someone writes it! Although in our house, with two small kids, it's sadly not a rare event!

Norfolklass - glad you've been having some good runs (snigger, sorry), and good on you for deciding to tackle the 10K plan! I think that definitely deserves a Garmin! I use my watch to time, just by looking at it, but I think it's supposed to do stuff, keep meaning to dig out the instruction manual and have a look. It's a baby G which I bought pre-running cos I like the look of it, so will be a bonus if I can get it to time walk/run intervals. 

Miffy - glad your running is going well! How are you doing this week?

Tommy - welcome back and glad you're enjoying it!

Hi Norwichrunner! Thanks for the encouragement re the parkrun! I can't wait to feel up to tackling it! Just want to be able to give it a reasonable attempt before I try it. 

Hope I haven't missed anyone! Feels nice to be back in touch! imageWill let you know how I get on tomorrow. Off to check whose cross-posted with me! xxx

• Hi everyone,

Cheetah - re photo - its nice to put a face to the name. You don't look like you are breaking a sweat at all despite the heat and being half-way through your run.....i'd have been like a beetroot. Can't believe the cross-trainer has died - it obviously can't keep up with 'the Cheetah'! How has the running before work been going?

Minty - your Sunday run sounds like it was lovely. Hope the progression to 3mins is going ok. My race is next Tuesday - i am dreading it now to be honest - i wouldn't like to finish ages after anyone else.....or maybe i should just change that thought to 'i'd like to finish'!! Hope its not too warm. Do you reckon we will all moan about running in the cold in the winter as much as we've moaned this summer??

3 miles done for me today, slowed the pace and tried not to look at the Garmin thingy too much... its definately distracting. Next plan is 6miles Saturday (meant to be an LSR, which in the world of Snail means Long Slow Run - not sure what it really stands for). It'll take me over an hour definately, so that'll be the longest run yet.

Hope everyone else is well.....

Happy running.....imagexx

• Hi all, just got in from a good run in lovely drizzle. Went to a different park this eve, a small one which was completely empty, apart from a huge slug I stopped to move off the path! Felt really good (the run, not the slug). Am looking forward to upping to 3 mins. Think will do another run of 2mins at the weekend and start next week.

Snails - well done on your run today.  Ooh and good luck for the 6 miles. That sounds v scary to me! Re the race next week, I think "i'd like to finish' is def the best attitude. Don't worry about the others, I'm sure you'll do great!

Yeah it is good to have photos to put names to! I'll try and dig one out to add to my profile. Or might get DH to take one of me now, a sweaty beetroot!image

Right, must go and find the manual for my watch.

Hope everyone else is good! xx

• *disclaimer*  I actually look nothing like that photo in real life! image (The lighting must have been good, I certainly felt red and sweaty - and that "smile" was just my grimace that I altered slightly for the photo...)

Well, the last couple of mornings I have been running! I've been going the way I was going when I started the run/walk programme - basically up one side of a long road then back down the other side. It'sfairly flat with a bit of an incline at each end, and just over two miles all together. 

Yesterday it took me 23:56 - then today it was cooler with a bit of rain - and it made me faster! I did it in 23:21 this morning! It's different running so early - I've been going just after 7am and there's all these friendly morningy people about saying "Good Morning!" as I run past them! image

I'm not counting these runs as part of my training, it's just a temporary cross trainer replacement - but I AM spreadig my normal training runs out a bit more so I don't overdo it - I went this evening instead of yesterday, then i'm missing out Friday's and just going out on Sunday. I did 5.71km in 41:33 tonight! imageimageimage

I shall reply to everyone else in a bit, just need to sort the cats out (they've been in the catnip drawer - aaaaaaargh!!!!) 

• OK i'm back! image That was fun, the cats had somehow collaborated to get a whole bag of dried catnip out of what we THOUGHT was  a cat-proof drawer - they'll regret it in the morning! (Do cats get hangovers....?)

Anyway where was I? Ah yes, I had a good run tonight!

Snails I am still very jealous of your Garmin!  I hardly ever look at my timer now, when I first started I was always looking to see if I could walk yet - now it's more just to see how far I've come, and I only tend to look every 5 - 10 minutes to see how I'm doing. I think it might be different if I could see my distance and calories and things too though!

Good luck wth the 6 miles, not sure I could do that (YET.....<<<optimism).

Minty - isn't drizzle GREAT for running in? Not sure about the slug though! I wouldn't want to slip over and land on one.... I'm always dodging duck poo at the running club as it's by the canal and river! 

I'll be attempting another 2 mile run in the morning - then at the weekend the cross trainer is going to hospital - to either be operated on or reborn as a new cross trainer. I'm sort of hoping this one is fixable as it's great (despite being evil - I've missed it!). Then hopefully from next week I won't have to get up earlier to fit a run in! image

Enjoy your, ummm.... runs (snigger!) image

• Evenin all! So glad it's cooler, although when I went out for a run this morning the sun was blazing. Not such a great run either, it was a bit of a struggle and I'm still feeling it in my legs. I did discover a new park tucked away, complete with immaculate bowling green and mini go-kart track! Managed 30mins but it felt much longer… Still thinking about a garmin but it's such a lot of money and I just can't quite bring myself to spend it yet. Bit of market research needed I think!

Thanks for the info on the parkrun, norwichrunner, it's on my list of running-related things I'd like to achieve.

Snails - thanks for the info on your garmin, I was debating the HR monitor too and agree that if you're going to invest in a serious bit of kit you might as well pay a little extra for it just in case. (But I'm also looking to buy a new camera as my current one has a grain of sand in the lens - REALLY annoying!!! - every photo looks like it has a boulder in it. Apparently it would cost over £100 to send it off for a clean so I might as well buy a new one. Grrr.) Huge congrats on finishing the 10k plan, and best of luck with the race next week - keep us posted!

Cheetah - you look like a proper runner in that photo, not a mad woman! Sorry to hear your cross trainer has died, hope it gets sorted soonest. Running in the morning is fab, altho I'm sure you'll be very pleased to get your evil cross trainer back! Laughed out loud about the catnip. We used to keep some in the "special drawer" until the cat started chewing the wood image Now it's in the top cupboard in the kitchen, well away from prying paws. Glad you had a good run tonight, have a good one tomorrow morning.

Minty - welcome back! Sounds like you had a lovely extended weekend. Hope your sore calf is nothing serious and didn't give you any more trouble this evening. I think I had similar niggles at the beginning of each new week as the runs got longer, it should just be your body getting used to it. I always think for the first few minutes my thighs, knees, calves and shins are saying "Running??? Are you mad?!?" but it usually passes (except this morning image) A change of scenery always helps too.

Miffy, Iain, Tommy - hope you're all well and either resting or running.

Nikki, Ragz, hales, jmoutlaw, grant - how's it going, are you still running?

Right: laptop out of battery and bed calling. Night folks
  • Hello all,

Still not running until I see the physio on thursday or friday this coming week, hopefully will be able to start back on the treadmill soon and start building up some K's again.

In the meantime i'm on the exercise bikes at work in my lunch breaks, boring as hell but all I can do for now.
    Covered just over 13k in 35 mins today so still getting a sweat on!
    The bikes are electronic with metered resistance, distance covered, heart rate (if wearing the chest strap thingy) etc so is easy to set same resistance each time and also shows number of revolutions per minute so good for maintaining a measured pace throughout.
    Will be doing same tomorrow, but will extend the time to 40 mins next week where possible.
    If I can sneak of a bit early for lunch i'll be able to squeeze in the 40 mins workout, otherwise its 35 again (got to allow shower/changing time).

The knee feels fine, but only time back running will show if there is still a problem or not.
    Will defo take it slow in the early stages, see how things progress.

• Grr!!! Am PROPER annoyed!!!! image

Just about to leave the house for a run, after searching high and low for my watch for half an hour, to find that one of my trainers has also disappeared. Searched for another half an hour, then gave up and poured a large glass of wine! Due to previous experience, the children are totally guilty until proven innocent!!!

• image I'm liking your thinking Minty - anyway, wine is JUST as good as a run, it's made from grapes, which is a fruit - therefore one of your 5-a-day.

Hi Norfolklass - the sun got me yesterday morning too - I didn't realise how bright it was so I didn't put my cap on to keep it out of my eyes. I ended up squinting for the first half, I'm lucky I didn't run into anybody (or anything...).

I think next time we get catnip it needs to go in a LOCKABLE cupboard - that was an almost full bag we had, and they've hoovered the lot up between them (Ruby and Blackie being the worst offenders!).

Iain  it's good to hear you're still getting some good exercise in despite not running - I need to be doing something (which is why I've been doing extra runs in the morning to make up for the lack of cross trainer). I'm also a bit jealous that you have exercise bikes at work! I'd love that - in fact, if there were just SHOWERS at work then I could run there in the morning and save on bus fares!

My morning running went well - I was even faster yesterday! The total distance I've been doing is 2.08 miles - Wednesday it took me 23:56, Thursday I did it in 23:21 - and as Friday was my last one, I thought I'd see if I could go faster - and I managed 22:46!

I don't think I could keep that up every morning instead of the cross trainer though, as my legs were really starting to feel it after yesterday. I might try the odd one every now and again though as it seemed to help my speed!

The great news is...... we now have a new cross trainer that works!!!!!!! (ooooo I never noticed the bold type bit before!) OH tried to fix the old one, and it seemed to work for about 2 seconds until the same thing happened again. We got it from eBay, and the seller was absolutely brilliant when we let them know, and swapped it for a new one - it meant us going back to Chesterfield, and the new one wasn't pre-assembled like the old one (cue much swearing) - but it's good to go now! image

• Morning all! About to go out for a run, aiming for 36mins non-stop today, the farthest yet. Meant to get out earlier while it was cooler, the sun's blazing again, but it's quite windy so hopefully not too hot.

Iain - well done for doing as you've been told! Glad the knee has been ok, bet you can't wait to get running again, but take it slowly, you don't want to undo all that healing. Hope the physio has good news for you this week.

Minty - poor you, how annoying! Have the watch and trainer turned up yet? Good decision to console yourself with a glass of wine, definitely counts as part of your 5-a-day! Hope you manage to get out and running again soon.

Cheetah - hope you've hidden the key well, have you seen that Cravendale milk ad where all the cats have opposable thumbs?!? Congrats on your faster runs (def sounds like a stomach issue!) but most of all HURRAH that you have a working cross trainer - bet you're over the moon! Hope this one doesn't have any problems.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend, happy running!
  • Hi everyone,

Well not a good run for me this weekend - i didn't get out yesterday, and was really looking forward to getting out after lunch today but it was sooo warm, and my planned 6miles ended prematurely at 2.7miles - and that included 3 walk breaks......i so wish i hadn't entered the 10k on Tuesday - i really have my doubts whether i'll be able to finish it. So, i'm going to pretend in my head that i was intentionally 'tapering' today in preparation for Tuesday and see if that helps image

Cheetah - hope the cats are okay after their burglary of the catnip cupboard....who ever said animals are stupid?? Thats great news you have a new cross-trainer - i'm sure it was like a work-out in itself trying to get it assembled,lol.

Minty - so funny re the trainer, has it turned up yet? and did you find the culprit? Good second choice anyway to go with the wine - rehydration is essential!!

Norfolklass - how did your run go earlier today? I think next week i'm going to try some running similar to your plan, and do 2 shorter ones during the week and longer at weekend (i think! - i really can't think past Tuesday at the minute).

Iain - 13k in 35mins is really good - i reckon i could only cover that kind of ground in the car!! Its great you're getting plenty of training done. I hope the physio has good news for you this week.

Tommy and Miffy - hows the running going for you?

Enjoy your running everyone, imagexx

• Evening! image

I nearly didn't go for my run today - I'm becoming a lightweight and woke up with a hangover which wouldn't shift - despite treating myself to a white chocolate Magnum as a cure. Eventually I persuaded myself to stop being a wuss and get out there - the weather was a bit showery for the first bit so it kept me cool!

I added a bit more distance by widening my route a bit - it took me past the cats' vets, so now I know I could run up there with a cat if needed! On the way back there was a bloke on the opposite side of the road going at a similar pace to me, so I mentally decided that I was going to race him. Unfortunately it looked like he'd decided to pace himself with me, so it was a draw by the time he turned off! image

I did 6.16km, or 3.84 miles in 41:51 - so I'm quite proud of myself, it's the furthest I've been yet. I just need to find an extra point of a mile and a bit from somewhere and I have a decent route for a 4 mile run! I lost the hangover on the way too!

Hi Snails - don't worry too much about your run today, it's horrible in the heat, I nearly passed out twice last week and had to stop a couple of times too. Hopefully it'll get cooler by Tuesday - it doesn't matter how long it takes you,  put walk breaks in if you need them - and think of us lot cheering you towards the finish line!

The cats were looking a lot fresher than I was this morning!

Hi Norfolklass - that advert's great! OH had a go on the new cross trainer while I was out on my run, he says it is quieter than the one that broke (so now we know what noise to look out for as a warning sign!) It's my turn in the morning. Lol-ing at the stomach issue! Hope your run went well.

It's the same route and distance as last week at the running club tomorrow - 3.5 miles. It's meant to be quite a bit cooler than last week too, so I should be able to do it without stopping - especially as it's flatter and not as far as the run I did tonight!  

• Hi guys,

I am sorry to keep banging on about running tomorrow night, but i am near sick at the thought........i wonder is it normal to feel like this or is it cos its only my 2nd race image 

Anyway, keep all crossed for me.

Cheetah - i'd have paid good money to see you and that guy racing each other down the road. Can't believe you managed to run with a hangover - a new cure discovered?? Good luck with your club run tonight - its definately cooler today, so hopefully that will make it more comfortable.

Hope everyone else is well,

Happy running imagexxx

• Whoop! Did the 36mins so have now run 5k for the first time (5.14k to be precise) - SO pleased!!! Think I'm going to stick with two 5k runs during the week and hope I can get down to 30mins, and carry on building up the weekend run.

Snails - poor you, I really feel for you image Just remember that you've already run the distance so you know you can do it. Hopefully it won't be too hot and the atmosphere will carry you along. Well done on tapering before the event, that's definitely the right thing to do, so come tomorrow you should be nicely rested and ready to go. I think feeling sick is pretty normal, I'd be exactly the same, and I'm sure there'll be plenty of other people feeling sick too. There might even be people who've never raced before, you've already got one race under your belt!

Cheetah - yuck re hangover but good for you for not letting it stop you from running. Well done on increasing your distance too, it's such a buzz! How's the new cross trainer? Bet you couldn't wait to have a go. Have a good run this evening.

Hope everyone else's running is going well.

And Snails: GOOD LUCK for tomorrow, don't forget to enjoy it image Sending cheers and whoops from Norfolk image
  •  Well this is probably going to be shorter than planned as I've already written this once then did that annoying stupid thing of clicking back to a previous page and lost it all!image

Anyway, as I was saying:

Hi all, I'm in a much better mood today as my missing items have turned up!image My watch was down the side of the sofa (ahem, I might have been responsible for that one), and my shoe turned up in the weirdest place ever. After having resigned myself to what seemed to be the only possible explanation, namely that a fox had run off with it, we found hidden inside my daughter's car seat. It had apparently been shoved in down the underside of the seat, when the seat was in the porch (thank you children), then my DH had carried it out and put it back in the car on Saturday, and didn't notice it! Then on Sunday he took it out again to make way for a tip run and saw it then. Good job we have lots of crap to get rid of or it could have been ages before we found it! Hooray!

Anyway, with no more excuses I had to go for a run this evening. Wasn't really looking forward to it as I'd promised I would do 3 mins this week, and I hadn't been out since Thursday, but it went OK actually. The usual right calf pain towards the end, but made sure I had a good long walk on the way back and by the time I got home it felt loads better. I tried to do the parkrun route. Did roughly two laps (parkrun is roughly 3), but somehow managed to do it backwards (not literally), so trying to work out the distance, think it was 3 and a bit K.

Cheetah - glad you've got your cross trainer back! I was getting a bit worried about you with all that running in the mornings aswell! LOL re the cats and the catnip. Haven't heard of the white chocolate Magnum hangover cure before, but will definitely give it a try next time! Sounds like your running is going really well! Well done!

Norfolklass - Well done on your 5K! I can't wait to be able to do that, such a milestone! LOL re cat chewing the wooden cupboard. I miss having a bonkers cat so much!!

Iain - well done you for keeping up the fitness with cycling. Must be a bit annoying to be stuck inside, but here's hoping you'll get good news and can start up some running again.

Snails -  GOOD LUCK for tomorrow! We'll all be thinking of you. As Norfolklass says, just try to enjoy it and not put too much pressure on yourself. Fingers crossed the weather is right for you.

Hope everyone else is doing ok?

Right - off for a glass of one of my 5 a day. xx