Oxford Half Marathon

Comments

• Seems okay now although I couldn't view it either earlier. Anyone any idea how many entries so far?

Regarding the PB question, I'd have thought the overall flatness of it would make it ideal but as mentioned there are other factors - the killer for me is the temperature. if it's anything like now my time will be hopeless. Fairly stil, dry and in the high teens will do nicely for me image

• Hi all,

Oxford is a very flat city and late September is rarely that hot (famous last words) so if you're after a PB then go for it.

I've scanned the last 8 pages of comments and there seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the event and the organisers. A shame.

I'm deliberating between this 1/2 and the Blenheim 1/2 but I wish both the best of luck. I have no problem with a commercial company organising a 1/2 marathon and making a healthy profit: they are putting the effort in, they are taking a risk, they are dealing with loads of stakeholders and you can tell how tricky that will be. They deserve to do well. And £22 per ticket is a lot less than the Bath 1/2 which is a fantastic event in a lovely city but pricey at £36 or whatever I paid this year.

Happy August training everyone.
  • I don't know aout everyone else but my training is not going well image. I planned on running every day of my recent 10 day holiday in Pembrokeshire and managed just 3 shortish runs along the coastal path. I'm well behind where I'd like to be in terms of the longer distances although I managed ny second fastest 5k this morning so perhaps all is not lost.

How's everyone else doing?

BB

• Hi Guys,

Firstly, thank you right said aouita, for those comments, there has been a lot of negatively but sometimes that is just down to change and because it is a brand new event. We have to accept this but the race is full on 110%, road closures in place,  and we are really looking forward to it.

Just to give you some news, that Up and Running store in Oxford is doing a 10km run of part of the course at 11.30am on this Sunday 14th August meeting at the store. The shop will be open from 10am and everybody who signs up will get a free energy drink, stretching tips and 20% off full price running gear.

Also, I do know that the 1st 15 male and 1st 15 female runners who confirm will get a free custom design technical tee shirt.

Speak soon and if you have any queries about the race please go to www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk

Many thanks

Dave (race organiser)

• Local? Check. PB Potential? Check. Atmosphere? Check. Day after Midland Road Relays? Err, check.
    Not much point in entering a big race if I'm not fresh, but I hope it's a success and becomes established image
  • I am an ordinary club runner in Oxfordshire and I am delighted about the arrival of the Oxford Half Marathon. I have entered and I am thoroughly looking forward to running on September 25th.  Thank you to the organisers.

It is however disappointing that the Oxfordshire Athletics Association are placing political pressure on local clubs to dissuade their member runners and marshals from taking part in the Oxford Half Marathon.  John Sear Chairman of the OAA even went as far as to state on the OAA website - " Please NOTE your times for this event might not be included by the Power of 10 statistics !"

Very democratic John!!

I am extremely disappointed with the OAA.  I joined my club to train with others and take part as a club member in races and I do not want to be drawn into the political agendas of sports administrators. I know that many local runners relish the prospect of a big open half marathon in Oxford. I truly hope that the event will be a sellout with wide participation from local club runners.

• Jim Whelan wrote (see)
    John Sear Chairman of the OAA even went as far as to state on the OAA website - " Please NOTE your times for this event might not be included by the Power of 10 statistics !"

Very democratic John!!

I am extremely disappointed with the OAA.

Jim

The power of 10 is a UKA sponsored website, and the Oxford half has an ARC license and not a UKA license. What John says is slightly wrong, if the Oxford half is run under ARC license then the results will not be on power of 10. The same is true for the Wycombe half, lots of legitimate local runners but nothing recorded on the power of 10.

I do have an issue with the power of 10 being so petty, but what is said by OAA is true and factual and is down to the power of 10 and your irk should be addressed elsewhere.

• What is the power of ten?
    You can always write your time down on a piece of paper and put it in a scrape-book.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

Seem to be a lot of petty people trying to kill this race before it's even started.

Saying the race won't appear on power of 10 is pretty pointless for 2 reasons.

1) Only anoraks even know what power of 10 is, or care

2)loads of races aren't on power of 10, as the UKA basically utilise bully boy tactics to try and force races to go under the more expensive UKA rather than ARC certification.

My 3 qualifying 10k times haven't made it onto power of 10 for the above reason so it's a sore point image

• Stevie G and waccyracer I totally agree.  I was unaware that the power of 10 existed until John Sear mentioned in his circular to the Oxfordshire clubs (and on the OAA website) in which he tried to dissuade clubs and members from taking part in the Oxford Half Marathon.  The Power of 10 doesn't really matter to me - what I object to is the undemocratic and politically motivated intervention by the OAA in support of their friends at UK Athletics.

Through our participation we can show the petty minded objectors that we want this race to be a success. 

Whatever time I achieve I will definitely write it on a piece of paper and put it in my scrap book and I might even frame it.

• Really looking forward to this although it means an early start from Bath. Using it as my warm up for New York on 6th Nov - Oxford here we come - really looking forward to it!
  • This morning i went out and ran the course for the second time this week. It is running good to firm in places although a little quick along the Iffley Road. I loved the Abingdon road section because it made me realise that i was practising on the course so I could run a quick half before I take on my next marathon (which is at Abingdon.)
    Ah such is the circle of life. Today i got round in 1.40. I hope to knock 5 minutes off that on the day.
  • !.40 sounds like a good time - well done. Have you done Abingdon before - that was my first ever Marathon back in 2004!

I have just come in from a hills session 12 x 1 minute hill sprints - first time I have done them in the current training programme, boy was it hard work! Good to know Oxford is pretty flat!
  • Tim M - Yes I've run Abingdon 3 times before. It's a great course, I love it.
  • I have great memories of it too - I got called bananaman - because I carried round a couple of bananas - before the days of gels etc!

On one street corner someone was coming out of a shop with a cake - I thought it was for me so grabbed it only to hear a roar from behind me that clearly indicated that this wasn't the case!!! Apologies to the lady concerned!!

Now I race slightly better prepared...
  • I'm going to do this one after missing my local one Kenilworth due to slackness. Seems like parking at the Kassam shouldn't be an issue.

The whole UKA/ARC thing is interesting. Although it is ARC, there is the usual discount for UKA-affiliated club runners,  and the online entry form declaration says "I agree to abide by UKA rules." Which is weird if you're not running under UKA rules.

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

It's all slightly confusing.

I think clubs can affiliate with  the UKA...but to licence under UKA they have to pay more than if they licence under ARC...so many do.

Also, if you pay £5 extra on top of your club fee, you affiliate yourself individually to get the £2 discount at each race!

• good luck to all runners in this in this great city
  • Hi Everyone,

First of all thanks to all comments received, it does make a difference. We are really looking forward to the event, it has been a long process, but for us definately rewarding. Jim, I know exactly where you are coming from, political agendas are not what we are about, we just want a race that is going to make a day in Oxford very special, and guys, ARC or UKA permit, it does not matter as they are both organisations that ARE legitimate, whatever you are told, we just don't want you to fall asleep talking about them. We ask club runners in Oxon AA to make their own minds up to run and the support from officials in these clubs have been amazing, and we have many entries from these club runners which means a lot to us.  I have invited the Oxon Chair to just give me a call to chat, unfortunately he has not taken me up on that offer, but  that is not the main point.

The main point is to see a day where runners of all abilities enjoy an event that will make it special for each and every runner, with a city centre route, and a stadium finish. Many runners are not members of local clubs, so on the day, after you finish, if you are thinking of joining a club in the area, we will give you information relevant to your postcode. Coaches, officials in these clubs do a brilliant job and we will help in whatever way possible, if you decide its for you.

Remember, 3 weeks to go, if you need any infomation please go to www.oxfordhalfmarathon.co.uk and we will look forward to giving all runners, and spectators a day to remember. I can tell you that we cannot wait!!

Dave (Race Director)

• Crikey it was warm out there this morning. Only did about 6 miles as i am running tomorrow. Part of my run was on the course and i noticed a few new mile markers on the pavement along Grenoble and Watlington roads. I wondered if they were for this event?
  • I saw a mate at a run yesterday and he said that he was going to be a marshal for the Oxford half but was told by his club not to volunteer.
    Is this what happens when new runs come on the scene? As runner who does not get involved in the politics i find this all quite petty.
    Isn't there room enough out there on the roads for everyone?
  • Got my entry pack through so it's definitely happening! I note there are 5 water stations, but I've not been able to locate a map of the route anywhere, nor any note of where the water stations will be (if it's warm, I will suffer!). I know there's a written description of the route on the website, but a cheeky map with it all laid out is handy.

Running 18-20 at the moment in training for a marathon in november, so this will be a nice break from that sort of mileage on a Sunday! Telling myself I just want to take it easy, but I know if I'm going well at halfway, I'll go for it with my Haribos!

PS Local UKA clubs telling their members not to marshal are being very petty indeed. Ultimately we're all runners, and Oxford deserves a prestigious race (as well as being quite handy for me to get to!)

•  got my entry pack aswell ,looking forward to the race now,  i ran the route last sunday, great course flat no hillsimage
  • yay!! a flat course for me at last!!image.....are you SURE there are no hills dalli? not even a little one?image..everything i enter ends up with a hill somewhere !
  • Loulabell- In my opinion there are no hills. I ran the course again yesterday with my brother and he said there were a couple of long inclines but there's no way they can be classified as hills.
    Got my number and chip so whatever happens i'll be running on the day.
    Would like to get close to the 1:35 mark.
  • I have just entered because I had to miss the Bristol half that I was due to run. Really looking forward to this and hoping for good conditions on the day. I really want to have a crack at a PB and it looks as though this might be the course to have a go at that.

I have a question for anyone running Oxford who lives in London. I have checked out hotels for the Saturday night but as I entered to late I can't find anything for less than £150 a night - ooops! So I am thinking of hiring a car and driving on Sunday morning. Does anyone need a lift who is prepared to share the cost with me?

Or is there anyone local on here who knows of a place that I could stay reasonably cheaply on Satuday night?

Thanks for any answers! 

Simon

• There's always the youth hostel by the station if you don't mind a shared room, or you could ask the tourist board to get you a B&B?
  • no hills as such loula ,i agree with waccy ,more like inclines one at about 2miles which is probably only a couple of hundred yards long and a  steady incline at about 11 miles which is about 1/2 a mile long

i hopeing for around 1.45image

• Fido2Dogs wrote (see)
    There's always the youth hostel by the station if you don't mind a shared room, or you could ask the tourist board to get you a B&B?
    Thanks for the advice. Actually thinking that I might drive from London in the morning or even take the bus.
  • yeah driving up from London only take you an hour, park at the stadium