Talkback: Ten Most Common Weight Loss Mistakes

I make that 5 mistakes, not 10!

Comments

• And muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is DENSER than fat so takes up less space.
  • JjJj ✭✭✭
    Steve...there's a handy little button at the bottom that says "next page".

¦oD
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    AllNew wrote (see)
    And muscle does not weigh more than fat. Muscle is DENSER than fat so takes up less space.

A jar of muscle weighs more than a jar of fat.

• My alarm goes off at 5.45 am and I am running by 6am. No time for brekkie until I get back, will a glass of fruit juice kick start my metabolism??
  • Yes it will, yours is one of the rare occasions where a sports drink can be useful, but just water your fruit juice down with half water and you will be sorted but don't forget breakfast after.
  • UluruUluru ✭✭✭

There seems to be a lot of conflicting arguements on whether or not it's good to run before breakfast or not to help weight loss.

It seems every article says something different. Does anyone know if there have been any conclusive studies into this?

• Deciding to go for the run, rather than stay in bed is definitely better for weight loss..
  • Simon's got it, you generally run that early out of necessity not choice, bottom line is always energy in against energy out, what the article helps with are the finer details within that to always maximise the benefits of your training and maintain a steady blood sugar level via a healthy diet.
  • PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Don't quote me on this* but I seem to remember a programme where a dietician explained why, technically, running in the morning does have a marginal benefit in terms of calorie burn because of the body clock and metabolic patterns through the day, but the practical conclusion was that the effect is so minimal, the best strategy is: run at the time of day that suits you best, because you're more likely to actually bother.

*Maybe there's some scientific literature on this but I CNBA looking for it.  Where's Sarah?  image

• We store water in muscle, can't store water in fat.  Many 'fat' people are dehydrated, they don't have enough water storage!
  • i have been into one sport or another for all or most of my adult life and i feel it is wrong to pigeon hole these mistakes and rule reducing your food intake out of hand i have made tons of errors not fueling enough putting in too much fuel but i feel hardened rules are the worst because myself and likeminded people hang onto these rules    just saying
  • Hi! I am doing each 5th day fasting and its definitely works. For example: 1day-swimming, 2day-cycling, 3day-gym, 4-running, 5day-rest and fasting. The fasting for me is good full breakfast in the morning and till next morning no food at all just fresh juice and water. Next day the first day of training and its going to be the easy workout. 
  • That's not fasting, that's eating one meal a day, many people live like tha all the time, only their one meal will be in the evening.

Why not just work out how many calories you're saving on that day and reduce your weekly total like wise, then you wont be so hungry for one day.

• Severly cutting calories 1-2 days a week has been shown to release specific hormones beneficial to fat loss rather than muscle loss (which prolonged calorie restriction can do). It also has a positive impact on other health markers like insulin sensitivity that prolonged calorie restriction doesn't. There was a horizon programme on this recently, and Bradley wiggins followed this protocol before his tour de france win. There's more info in Cycling Fitness magazine.

Good luck with it GS
  • To be honest, I've tried every diet under the sun and it isn't one approach fits all. Different things work for me at different times, but the overriding principle for me is simply eat less cr*p. Calories count, but it really depends on what our bodies do with those calories. Some (processed) foods trigger fat storage / hormone release / hunger etc.

sometimes I apply rules to help me achieve this (Keep carbs under 100g, drink more water etc), but ultimately it boils down to the fact that eating natural is the way to go. Of course, it's damn hard when faced with a doughnut!
  • The Kenyan's run on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. It must be ok!!