wolverhampton marathon

E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
who fancies playing this year?

Comments

• Probably.

3rd consecutive year if I do!

• I was looking at this one. What can you tell me about it? Reviews are mostly positive and it seems go value for a marathon.
  • After you complete the 1st lap and the HM runners turn off to finish it can get pretty lonely out there.

Well marshalled and oganised and has reasonably good support (well, the 1st lap anyway!).

At the end of the day its a city marathon around Wolverhampton but without being disrespectful it is not the most scenic of places.

Really depends what you are looking for. I will be back for the 3rd time so it ticks the boxes for me.

If I was only going to run a single autumn marathon I would go elsewhere.

• Thanks for the info. Hopefully be the first of 3 Autumn marathons, so seems a good one for me.

• Mablethorpe (Was in a car crash 2 days before so missed out last year), and Newcastle town moor (ran my p.b in torrential rain, so im sure i could have gone quicker) so a bit of unfinished business with both!

Where else are you running marathons this year?

• E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭

i travel from Cumbria each year for this one, it is a nice run and it is a pitty it is not better supported as for the price you cannot grumble. best thing is it is a rolling course so can be a nice morning jog out image

• The list of where I am NOT running is probably shorter! image

21 May  White Peak Marathon   ENTERED
    11 Jun  South Downs Marathon   ENTERED
    4 Sep  Wolverhampton Marathon
    11 Sep  Robin Hood Marathon   ENTERED
    18 Sep  Grafham Water Marathon
    21 Sep  Great Barrow Challenge Day 1 (26.5 miles)  ENTERED
    22 Sep  Great Barrow Challenge Day 2 (26.5 miles)  ENTERED
    23 Sep  Great Barrow Challenge Day 3 (26.5 miles)  ENTERED
    24 Sep  Great Barrow Challenge Day 4 (26.5 miles)  ENTERED
    2 Oct  Mablethorpe Marathon
    9 Oct Leicester Marathon
    16 Oct  Abingdon Marathon  ENTERED
    23 Oct  Trionium Greensands Marathon
    30 Oct  Brentwood Marathon
    6 Nov  Rutland Water Marathon
    20 Nov  Luton Marathon

and maybe a few others!

• runlozrunrunlozrun ✭✭✭
    I hadn't even realised there was a marathon and half marathon at Grafham Water.  I uses to live over that way.  Can't make it this year but good to know for next year if the event does well.
  • New marathons are popping up all the time. Grafham is new this year.

Supposed to one in Milton Keyenes next year (29th April IIRC). Not that Milton Keynes is particulary great to run around either but it'll be a new one to do!

• Im tired just reading that list Sean, especially 5 in 7 days! Do you have a favorite marathon? im always looking for newdifferent ones to run. Most of mine tend to be in the north or midlands.

• Sean, 5 in 7 days looks good, if you fancy 5 in 5 days search for an event called The Forces March. I did it this year and it was great fun!
  • Matt, maybe next year. Need to look into it. Is it self-navigate? Not keen on self-naviagte events.

Ashley, not really. I live in Bedfordshire so most of mine tend to be South, West and East based!

Leicester (old course) is my PB course so that is special. Amserdam and Berlin are very good and worth doing. South Downs is a very good trail marathon, like wise White Peak. Really depends what you want/like. Ran London twice and haven't enjoyed it either time, we are all different.

• hows about the Langdale marathon.... man and mouse come to mind image

Looks good if you live up North but not much good for us Southerners!

Already running elsewhere on the 24th Sep, even I haven't managed to figure out how to run 2 marathons on the same day at the same time!

• E.C.N.E.C.N. ✭✭✭
    (L.S.D.) image (showing my age!!!)
  • I still find marathons tough (I've only ever done London last year and windermere this year. What I can say is London is one of the easiest marathon's you'll run.

Wolverhampton; I know the course and the town well.. by all accounts it's a great HM but not a great FM. The 2 lap bit when you filter away from the HM's are about to finish and you have to go out anf do it all over again! Don't fancy that one bit. It used to be a full 26 mile course back in the day but not now,

I've just signed up for this one about 10 mins ago. It's a testy but not tough course; a few rolling hills on the back of the course and a short steep climb of 200 yards at 10.5m (lower street). Other than that it's not too bad.

It's the course where I have a 2 year old pb that I need to beat (1:34.00) though I'm expecting to beat it in Coventry as I'm not back to full "match day fitness" yet. I'm expecting Coventry HM (Oct 2nd) to be my PB attempt.

Crowds are great on the 1st lap here; and a great roar at the finish line.

Bring on early Sept!

Ste

• Can anyone tell me what the time limit on the course is please?
  • i dont think there is a time limit, but if u do do the full marathon everyone will of gone home by the time you finish and there wont be much support for you on the second lap. They do really either need to turn this into a proper full marathon or a proper half marathon
  • Looking forward to this one, did it last year and PB'd, lots of injuries this year so im just using it as a long run for Berlin this year. Its a good course undulating but not hilly, I kinda like it. well organised!!

• Agreed.....but just a bit lonely on the 2nd lap though!
  • Hi, this will be my first ever mara, don't fancy doing the half as thats not really a challenge and i would feel guilty not having to do another lap lol.

im aiming for around 3.45 for my first one, although i have had some IT band issues so knee isn't 100% and i had to cut my training right down for about a month.

Does anyone have any tips/advice for the day?. Do you isotonics at the water stations etc

any pointers for a first timer welcome

Dave

• Dave, take a look into a foam roller there great for IT problems, I use mine all the time, good for massage and recovery etc, £22 delivered so worth every penny. Isotonic wise you could get a m8 or famly if there watching to hand you another half way as we run past the park where we finish, I always start with a botle and carry it for a marathon and I use a few gels but i'd try them b4 the big day in case they dont agree with you. have a listen to www.marathontalk.com its a free podcast full of great info, you can download it or listen online.

Sean G, yeah I agree, a little lonely but I like that, id rather be chasing one person in the distance than a group all the time.

• Sean G dead right, lonely for me taking photos image

These photos were taken at about 23 miles on a gentle incline, probably feels like running up Snowdon to those in the full marathon.

http://www.racephotos.org.uk/wolves_91.htm

Last year at this point there was a bit of dizzle which I think helped.

I have run about 30 marathons so I know the pain at this point.  I ran the first 13 Potteries Marathon which was regarded as one of the toughest on the circuit.

My photos are free to download, I will even email the high resolution originals if requested

All the best everyone see you on the day if you decide to do it.

Kind regards.

Bryan

http://www.racephotos.org.uk

• Bryan,

Yep, you have me banged to rights on Page 98 (no. 2227). Top quality photo's as aver.

Dave,

I'll be running 3.45 on the day. Just don't go off too quickly. Fatal mistake for any marathon runner, but especially a 1st time marathon runner If you want pacing round look for No. 2063 (orange). 95% of the runners will be doing the half and you can easily get dragged around the 1st lap - way above your marathon target pace and then struggle all the way around the 2nd lap!

• Yes they were great pics last year, thankyou!!

Dave, good advice from Shaun, stick to your plan and ignore the half runners!! You will be just fine!!! Then u will be hooked and looking ever wk for a marathon like us nutters image
  • Thank Mat - I don't know if I am going to be fast enough for this as I can't find what time the last finisher was last year, and I'm coming back from an ankle injury.

Might give it a miss.
  • Muzza, Shaun thanks for the advice/info

yep i have been using drink carrier jobbie for my runs over 10 miles so ill keep an isotonic in that and use the water from the stalls then

yep im testing some gels this week.

i presume all the info i need will be in my race pack ?
  • Yeah should all be in there, you will be fine!!