Spitting??

I have just started running, (well jogging some would say)

For some reason when i was on my run, I keep needing to spit (Sorry for being gross)

Is this normal? I know a lot of men spit, But not seen any girls/ladys spit.

Please help

Had a problem with a runny nose as well, (but to gross to go into that) 

Kel x 

Comments

• No. It's never acceptable to anyone, neither men nor women, to spit.
  • I don't spit- but don't tend to feel the need. I do however also get runny nose issues- after about 2 miles I start needing to blow my nose, to get round it I always carry a hanky with me. It's quite easy to adjust to blowing on the run, find it forces me to take a deep breath every now and again too- got to try to turn these annoyances into positives image
  • Thanx for your reply, i'm with you on that,

I didn't spit, Just wanted to know, am i ill or is "needing to spit" normal.

Kel x

• Spitting is perfectly fine while running. Needing to spit is normal and if done with a bit of discretion is OK. Only really uptight people could get annoyed. Failure to clear can impair your breathing.
  • I spit when i run to clear my throat / mouth out, it can also tell you if you getting a bit dehydrated as the spit be thick and sticky, thats fun when it springs back in your face lol. I dont see anything wrong while spitting on a run, the only time i have a problem with it is when hoodies spit for no reason.
  • The runny nose thing is Exercise Induced Rhinitis - its similar to hay fever it seems. Snot rocketing is seen as acceptable (as far as Im aware) so spitting shouldn't be that gross for runners....
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

I don't see that it's OK for runners to spit, but not "hoodies"

If you think spitting is OK, then surely spitting is OK for everyone, not just people you approve of.

• For me it's a question of where, rather than who. Into bushes etc. fine, on people not so good
  • I think what you need to ask is how do you feel when people spit... It is all down to personal preference but I say not.

Perhaps carry a tissue so you can put in nearest bin...

Bit of a grey area, there was and article in rw about this too.
  • How about snot rockets?
  • Wilkie wrote (see)

If you think spitting is OK, then surely spitting is OK for everyone, not just people you approve of.

Agreed. I don't feel the need to spit when running so perhaps I don't understand, but I think it's gross, and I'm sure some men seem to do it as some weird runners status symbol.

I saw a bus driver gob out his window the other day and it really annoyed me. OK, it didn't go in anyone's face, but I bet he'd have rightly gone mental if someone had gobbed at his little perspex window. 

• Yikes! I spit and snot rocket when I run, but then again I only run trail, so there's never anyone else around. Maybe there's a different etiquette for road running...
  • You naughty little sossidge! image
  • I dont seem to need to spit too much thankfully but on the odd occasion that I have its been into a bush and when noone is around, Id be utterly mortified if anyone saw me!
  • Wilkie wrote (see)

Agreed.  I hate to see any sex spitting I think its disgusting

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I only spit if i really need to. I've tried using a tissue but it ends up all soggy and a complete mess. I've ever had one comment and that was from my mum image
  • Booey wrote (see)
    Wilkie wrote (see)

Agreed.  I hate to see any sex spitting I think its disgusting

Agreed I think you should always swallow image
  • Wilkie wrote (see)

agree
  • I do swallow image so cant possibly be an uptight person image
  • Thank you for your replys,  I hope as i get fitter the need spit will lesson,

All i can say is look out Usain Bolt lol, image

Thanx again

Kel x

• sounds like you don't need any lessons
  • Kelly - given then choice between spitting (and possibly offending someone) or choking, then I choose the latter. Actually, I nearly gagged a few weeks ago when a big insect went in my mouth and I could neither swallow it or get it back out - I just knew it was there on the back of my throat and as i was in a race at the time and finding breathing hard anyway, I really struggled.

So sometimes we have no choice but to spit or even snot-rocket. When i do, I always ensure that I'm not going to hit anyone and I try to do it in such a was as to be less visble (not because I'm embarassed, just to avoid the chance of being offensive). e.g. wait until a car goes past, not right in front of the people walking towards me etc.

Just a bit of common sense. above all, hard running needs good respiration and unfortunately, you do get stuff in your mouth, nose and throat which impedes that.

I would bring a hankie on my runs but I don't have any nice sleeves to tuck them in image

• A good hefty snot rocket is one of the joys if running image
  • You're not a "proper" runner if you dont snot rocket image
  • I think spitting is fine if it is impairing your breathing pattern. I don't feel the need to snot rocket unless I am at my Yoga class and we are doing a lot of upside down stuff! I'll leave that to your imagination.

• Trouble is with spitting and snot-rockets, even if they don't disgust you (they do me - I can't even watch footie on tv because of the close-ups) is that if you're at the back of the pack in a big race, it can get like an ice rink. 'Cept it's not ice.
  • I have done both but try to make sure nobody can see me. I wouldn't do it in front of anyone.
  • I'm more off a snot rocketer myslef - which the wife deplores.
  • What a bunch of uptight people!  I have to spit when I run as I get quite a bit of snot/mucus build-up.  It's a free country and I don't spit on anyone, maybe into a bush or whatever.

Agreed with people just randomly spitting in the street, but I'm doing it because otherwise I can't breathe properly.

• I think it's down to where you are at the time and who's around. I don't spit in the street, but then neither do I go for a pee, a poo, or lie down and have a little sleep. All of these are perfectly acceptable up a mountainin my book, but perhaps not in the High Street.

I sometimes spit when I'm running on trails when there's no-one around. When I used to road run I just suffered as I don't like the idea of anyone seeing me.

But I was surprised at the OP's original question: is it ok for girls to spit. If women set up barriers for themselves, we'll never get anywhere! *steps off soapbox*

The blokes I run and cycle with all spit regularly. The first time I had to spit in front of them there were comments that girls spitting is disgusting. How sexist is that? image
    Unfortunately I can't snot rocket as it would have been the perfect time to let out a blinder. You think that's disgusting? Try this for size!image