New Wiser Me Needs Running Advice

Hi everyone.  It has been a couple of years since I was in the forums and I am glad to find the community is very much how I remember it.  In a previous life I was EdinburghKev, a younger, less wise version of EdinburghKev2.

I am hoping for some advice from any other runners that have had an 18 month to 2 year lay off from running and recently returned to running.

Comments

• Hi EdinburghKev2
    That's a very general question!! I had a longer break than 2 years, but for what it's worth, I'd start with the following 3 pointers:
    1 Build slowly!
    I built up very gradually when restarting, literally extending my run lengths by a few 100yards each time until I got to a few miles. Also, only building up the overall mileage gradually.
    2 Don't worry about pace.
    You'll probably be a lot slower than you were, especially to start with, but that really doesn't matter. For the first few months, it's just about getting reaccustomed with running.
    3 Enjoy !!!!

Good luck image
  • Thanks Juggler234, my post was a bit longer but I edited it as it went on a bit image

I am looking forward to running a bit smarter than I did a couple of years ago.  Looking back on it I did a lot of miles for miles sake, same pace, same 7 mile loop and no hills, tempo or speed sessions.

The new me is looking forward to getting some quality running sessions over the next year.

• First of all, tell us your name and where you are from..... image
  • ......or maybe we could guess anyway!

Frivolity to one side, it is a general question to the forumites and so you are only likely to get general advice.

So I'll ask some Qs of my own? Why do you want to run?  Will that reason change with any time or if any conditions or criteria are met?  Do you have any ambitions that could be attached to your running and if so, how much effort or sacrifice would you be willing to make to realise that ambition?

Is this about athleticism, performance, being sociable, communing with nature, healthy lifestyle, having the body of an Adonis, dealing with mental illness, boredom....or other reasons perhaps?!

Why did you stop running?

What makes you say that you are wiser now than before - what have you learnt (that might be applicable to the other questions I've asked)?

Cheers, TD. image

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    Ditto TD, why the 2 year lay off, was it injury?  If not, what happened and how have you found your way back to running?   Welcome back tho! image
  • EdinburghKev2 is writing on other threads today but not saying anything on this one he created? Maybe he forgot he was a runner and just didn't think to put his trainers back on?

• Tricky Dicky... I thought my post would just fade away quietly image

I started running in early 2005 after 30 years of doing very little excersie (I am 37 now).  I tried to figure it all out alone so I trained for the 2006 Edinburgh Marathon and then a rest period turned in to a 1 year lay off.  I picked up my running again in 2007 and ran the Boston Marathon in 2008, had a 6 month break and then ran the Loch Ness Marathon in 2009.  The break from 2009 went on for longer than I had planned and the weight crept back on etc.  I have been injury free for the 6 years since I started running whick I am very grateful for.

My best marathon time is 4hrs 18mins, I ran every mile in 10 minutes as that is what I had trained for using my own very limited running & training knowledge.  I felt good during training the last time around and did a local 10k in 48 mins.  

The 'wiser' me would like to better understand the training I am doing, how it will make me perform better, how I will feel after harder sessions and how the different types of training runs work together to make you a more complete runner.  I have realised I love to be able to run, I love the feeling I get from being fitter and how much happier I am when I am running.  The ups and downs of starting periods of running combined with long breaks away from running did me no good and I have become fed up with how I feel etc.

I have a place in the Edinburgh 2012 marathon and my long term goal is a sub-4 hour marathon at this event.  I would also like to better understand what it feels like to run at different paces and basically get to know myself as a runner rather than someone who runs 35 miles per week for the sake of it.  It is fair to say I am probably 8-12 weeks away from 35 mpw but in the past I would often do junk miles for the sake of it.

At the moment I am running 3 to 4 5ks per week at 10 minute mile pace to get some strength back in my legs.  I am swimming and doing cardio a few times a week to help get my weight down and try and strengthen my core.  I plan to add 10% on to my Sunday run each week and hope to revise my training plan in late November once the swimming, cardio and running has helped get me back in better shape. I am thinking about going to my local running club to help me achieve some of my goals listed above.

I have been lucky enough never to smoke and decided to stop drinking about 3 years ago as running and work related study was more important.  Now I would like to run, manage my running sensibly, set goals and retain any weight loss I achieve and fitness I gain.  No more rollercoaster training/stopping/starting again at the beginning.  

• Cinders, I think my biggest problem is a tendancy to put life on hold until things change, get better or whatever.  I then wonder what has happened to the last year and get upset with myself when I cannot play tennis, go mountain biking or swimming due to the weight I gain when I stop excersising.  I somehow let myself become inactive, as if I am running away from the thing I get most enjoyment from doing.  I am sure there is a good case study out there that covers what i am saying image  I tend to muddle along and find my own way in things so I probably have not helped myself in the past.  I am happy to now ask for help and advice image
  • I was just reading a few of my old posts as EdinburghKev and one in particular Popsider was giving me some good advice about training and I think I totally ignored it!

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=&UTN=130825&last=1&V=8&SP=

It is a good example of me making up training programs on the hoof rather than building on previous weeks/months training and try to progress in a sensible fashion.  

I think that might have been my one and only speed session too.  What a fool image

• I found my copy of The Runners Handbook and page 120 runs through a sample intermediate build-up schedule to get from 10 miles per week to 20 miles per week over a 10 week period. The goal is to get the base milage up (not too fast though) and at week 5 increase from 4 days running to 5 days running. This look promising image
  • CindersCinders ✭✭✭
    EK2, don't put your life on hold.................find somthing that's enjoyable now and go do it image
  • A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame somebody else.
    http://www.imgquick.com/images/17.gif

• Things I have done for the 1st time this week

1. Ate porridge oats for breakfast.

2. Competed proper warm up before 5k run.

3. Completed first ever cool down after 6k run.  

I had a 'moment' today while out running where I realised "I can do this".  Great feeling!!

• Another couple have weeks have passed with a 5 mile run last Sunday and a 6 mile run today. The rest of the week is made up of 3 more runs of about 3 miles and time at the gym.

In previous years I would be taking in about 500 calories less per day to bring my weight down than I am this time around. This time I am eating sensibly but making sure I am able to have the required energy levels to run and enjoy it. Even with this approach I have lost 14lbs in the last month.

Things I have learned over the last couple of weeks:

1. Running while hydrated is much more enjoyable.
    2. There is no point trying to squeeze in more running than a plan prescribes.
    3. Slower is sometimes better.
    4. Running earlier in the day gives your legs time to recover as you move during the rest of the day.

Weekly total is 15 miles and while not huge, the last 6 weeks have been consistent!

Had a moment today during mile 5 when I thought to myself "I'm Back".
  • Planing to try and read The Ghost Runner this week. I read Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald last week and it was okay, my only complaint is that it was a bit light on content.

I am new to the Marathon Talk podcast but having listened to the first eight over the las 2 weeks they are brilliant!!