OMM 2011

I now have confirmation of my place in this years OMM D class. It is my first OMM though I have ran a few off roaders between 25 and 30 miles.

I am looking for specific training advice. I am gradually increasing my mileage, getting off road as much as poss and putting some hill reps in.

Any other advice will be very welcome such as how long (distance / time should my long runs be, and the length / distance / frequency of hill reps)

As a side note my race partner is a skilled navigator so I feel we have that covered.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hi Marc,

I'm not great on training plans, but I think for mountain marathons one key thing is to do some running on proper rough ground. Bogs, tussocks, scree etc rather than footpaths. also contouring. That should toughen your ankles up!

For long runs the very best thing is to get out to your nearest fells for whole days at a time, two days back to back if possible. You need to be training to be out on the hill for 5 or 6 hours two days in a row. In D class you will be doing a lot of walking ( assuming you've not enter too easy a class!) I think it's the time on your feet that counts.

Why not enter the RAB mountain marathon in Sept as a warm up?

Jane
  • Thanks Jane,

I've been building the milage up and getting off road as much as possible. I am going up to the North Yorkshire moors next week for a few days and had planned to get out on the moors and do some point to point long runs and just choose a stright line route and take whatever comes at me.

I am actually doing the C class (not sure why i put D class).

Thanks for the advice.

• Marc,

If you've been doing 25/30 mile off roaders then imo, you'll be fine - and I say this as someone who took on doing Mountain Marathons without even that level of fitness.

In my opinion, the main thing you need to worry about is your gear - something that caused my partner to become a cropper the first time we attempted the OMM.So,make sure that you've got good, lightweight gear. Invest in gear if you don't have it (or can't borrow it).

Secondly, work out what food you're going to take and make sure it has a good calorie to weight ratio (ie you want as many calories as you can manage for as little weight as you can take. Super noodles and cous cous are good for this as are meals in a bag - there's a good brand that I can't remember the name of at the moment but I'll get back to you.)

Thirdly, weigh everything!

Fourthly, put all your gear in your pack and go training with it. Remember to do hills.

Other than that, concentrate on hills - the steeper the gradient, the better. You probably won't run up them during the event but you need to be used to them if you're not already. 

Lastly, no matter how good your partner's navigation is, make sure you're comfortable with using a map and compass yourself. Two reasons - one, mistakes happen when you're tired and under pressure. (My usual partner is a qualified mountain leader with many years experience on the mountains - but every now and then I'll pull him up on a decision and query his route choice and once or twice, he's got it wrong. It happens.) Second reason, if something unforseeable happens, or, heaven forbid, your partner has an accident/is incapacitated, you may find yourself in charge of navigation.

This months' Trail Running Magazine has quite a good article about route choice and navigation so is worth picking up just for that.

Other than that, enjoy it!

• Practice getting out of your tent at 6am into the rain and mist, pulling on wet socks, wet leggings and lacing up wet shoes, then look for the nearest, biggest fell/mountain and head straight up it!

Easy.

See you at the OMM.