Options

Which is the best running watch?

Looking to replace my Nike+ kit with a smart running watch, which is the best bit of kit out now, isnt there one that was released just before the London Marathon this year? Id be worried about gps signal loss too.

Or are those new Nike+ TomTom watches any good?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Owt that does same as garmin 305  but smaller, the 405? I just wont get used to size sorry I know me.
  • Options
    i have the Garmin 405cx got it last year and the only down side is after you start running with a GPS watch you cant be without it. It's an excellent tool to keep track of progress and how you should run a race at your own controlled pace. trust in it and it will do you good. get the HR monitor though its a must. takes a bit of getting used to but youtube will see you right. point to note if it rains lock the bezel.
  • Options
    Trail Running mag test 4 of them in the latest issue. Garmin 310XT gets he best rating. I got one 6 months ago and love it. Longer battery life than the 305 which it replaced. Dont know about the newest models but the touch screen ones in the past have been prone to fault. The 310xt is waterproof, meaning itll also keep the dirt and mud out. The 205 is supposed to be good as a cheap/basic model, but Ive not had one so cant comment.  The garmin connect (which you can load your runs on) is very good.
  • Options
    I'm totally chuffed with my Garmin 305. T'is on the large side, but you soon get over that. Wouldn't be without it. Enables you to really analyse your sessions. Got mine on Amazon for around £100. Bargain!
  • Options

The most obvious questions to ask you are;

1. How much do you want to spend??

2. What features you want/require

3. Revisit 'question 1'

SJDub wrote (see)
    I'm totally chuffed with my Garmin 305. T'is on the large side, but you soon get over that. Wouldn't be without it. Enables you to really analyse your sessions. Got mine on Amazon for around £100. Bargain!

Happy with mine too!, I paid a bit less; about £90 when i got mine from Amazon

Plus, as 'just a watch', when I'm just running/cycling I use one of these from Argos;

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9274954/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CJewellery+and+watches%7C14416987/c_2/2%7C14416987%7CMen%27s+watches%7C14417316/c_3/3%7Ccat_14417316%7CMen%27s+sports+watches%7C14417327.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

It shows me the time & has a big stopwatch display, so perfect (& fairly cheap)

• Options
    Does the Nike GPS watch require a shoe attachment like the Nike+ or does it work with just the watch itself?
  • Options
    Nike GPS is very good, got one to replace the (largely inaccurate) sportband. It doesn't need the footpod - you can use one if you train indoors (treadmill, no satellites) or as an insurance policy if you lose the satellite signal - mine never has.

I like the Nike site and the simplicity of the Nike watch/system, but it's alot simpler than Garmins - used to have a 405. Garmin will give you alot more stats and features. I never used them and just confused me, but each to his own.
  • Options
    DMaxDMax ✭✭✭
    The Nike GPS watch works with the shoe pod if a satellite signal cannot be found so if you train indoors, a shoe pod is something to think about. If you run outside and can see the sky (i.e. You don't run in woodland) then you probably won't need one.

You can put a Nike + shoe pod on a non Nike shoe, just buy a little pod wallet that fits into your shoe laces.

The watch is a nice piece of kit and is backed up by some great online tools at Nikeplus.com.

• Options
    ^^ my 305 was only £4 more than that on ebay. also brand new boxed from a shop
  • Options
    Bought a 305 last night on amazon for £97.42. Can't wait to get my hands on it.
  • Options

Some of my friends post on facebook a route of their run on a map, how can I do this?

I think the garmins will be too  big for me, im fussy like that, so which GPS watch should I go for, budget  is £250.