WHR v MHR

There appears to be two distinct methods of working out your zones which produce markedly differing numbers.

Which one is the VHS and which one is the Betamax of methods?

Comments

• WHR because it takes into account more variation between people. With %MHR, person A could have a resting heart rate of 45 and a max of 195 and they'd be given the same zones as person B who had a resting heart rate of 80 and a max of 195. I think...

Either way, WHR has always produced zones which feel right for me, at least, whereas % MHR hasn't.

I'm not sure they're VHS and Betamax, more that one's relatively quick and easy and one's a bit more of a faff but more accurate

• SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    MHR for me.   Requires more discipline and work than WHR but IMHO more effective
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭
    Once you know your own zones, it makes absolutely no difference. It might make a difference when comparing yourself with someone else ... in this case wHR is more appropriate.
  • WHR is the one recommended by John L Parker's book - Heart Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot.  The reason is, as Mr Fishpoo says, that it takes into account both your maximum and resting heart rates so is more reliable.
  • Now you see Dr DAN there is a BIG difference.

If I train at 75% of MHR for all my 'easy' and 'recovery' runs thats 136BPM.

If I train at 75% of WHR it equates to 146BPM.

Thats about 30 seconds a mile faster.

Which is correct? Should I be easy running at 136 or 146?

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭
    Cop-out wrote (see)

Now you see Dr DAN there is a BIG difference.

If I train at 75% of MHR for all my 'easy' and 'recovery' runs thats 136BPM.

If I train at 75% of WHR it equates to 146BPM.

Thats about 30 seconds a mile faster.

Which is correct? Should I be easy running at 136 or 146?

You should actually be comparing 75% MHR with 70% WHR.  I would guess this makes your figures somewhat closer.

This isn't a scientific answer, but I use MHR partly because I CNBA monitoring changes to my resting HR but mainly because the maths is easy, estimated HR being around 200.  image  (My resting HR has been anywhere around high 30s/low 40s when I've measured it, so the figures are pretty similar for me.)