Options

How do you cycle train?

All my current rides seem to be the same sort of pace, on a weekend I might go for a longer ride I don't do this when I run, I do hills, intervals, tempo and LSRs.  And today as I was out I wondered should I be doing the same or is it enough just to get the miles in?

I am doing a Sprint Tri in October - so still have a few weeks to get some training in so any ideas would be greatfully recieved.

Thanks in advance

BWT

Comments

• Options
    Same as running.

Don't forget to practice bricks.
  • Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭
    Bricks? Am I the only person who doesn't know what that means? image
  • Options
    bricks are sessions where you combine 2 of the elements

so bike then run, or swim then bike, or sometimes all 3.
  • Options
    SP13SP13 ✭✭✭
    Aaaah. Now I'm with you. Thanks for that, fat buddha.
  • Options

Sprint tri. You need to work on your speed and the resulting run after(the brick)

Miles on bikes is always good. No substituite for this but never get lazy and let the bike freewheel. Work hard on the bike, keep that HR up! Given your doing a sprint you don't need to do 80 mile rides etc. 20 mile rides at pace are more helpful. Oh and your a triantalope get off and go for a run after the bike. us cyclists can have a cake and some tea!image

• Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭
    I don't understand cycle training either. Someone suggested doing hill training type sessions - find an up-incline that takes about 20 minutes to cycle up and repeat it a few times. I have the perfect 3 mile stretch just 0.3miles from my house. I haven't tried it yet, but I like the idea image
  • Options
    JEvaNs* wrote (see)
     I have the perfect 3 mile stretch just 0.3miles from my house. I haven't tried it yet, but I like the idea image
    You like that idea !!!!!!!!!!!!!!   You're mad
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

I hasten to add that it isn't much of an incline, but when I first started cycling, I'd get quite worn out on that stretch so I'd stop pedaling, and promptly stop moving. So I'm convinced that it's a good stretch to use.

I do like the idea though. I keep meaning to do it one morning, but would rather go for a run...

• Options
    popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Rather than pick a hill and do repeats why not go out on a hilly route and go hard up the hills - or better still go out on a hilly training ride with others and race each other up the hills  ?   I know that isn't as structured as doing a set of intervals but it's a lot more fun and most people can work a lot harder in a group than on their own.  

I think if you treat cycling like running you may as well stick to running - it's a lot cheaper and less aggro for a start.    The good things about cycling are getting out in the countryside, racing your mates on a training ride, if you are fast enough  do the local chain gangs.   If it's all going out on your own and doing tempo rides, intervals and lsr then you are missing out imo.    

There is a place for structure - I'd do my 20 minute intervals on the flat/turbo on my race bike for a start - but where you can try and fit what you need to do into a framework that is also fun otherwise you wont stick it unless you've got more willpower than most.   There are quite a few triathletes in our club and who come out on our chaingang and they all do OK - most seem to be long 9 hour or short 10 hour Ironman - so I don't think you need to train alone to train properly.

• Options
    JEvaNs - I did some hill reps once by going up and down the same hill 24 times - once in each gear. It was boring and as Popsider said, its more fun riding out in the countryside but I'll probably do it again.  For a start, its made me not fear that hill because I know I can do it in any gear. Plus it takes me half an hour to even get near some countryside and I'm so crap at hills that doing hilly rides at the minute can turn into doing bike/walk rides. So a hill rep session every now and then makes good use of my training time but I don't pretend its fun.  I'm going to try a bigger hill next time though.
  • Options
    JEvaNs* wrote (see)

I hasten to add that it isn't much of an incline, but when I first started cycling, I'd get quite worn out on that stretch so I'd stop pedaling, and promptly stop moving. So I'm convinced that it's a good stretch to use.

I do like the idea though. I keep meaning to do it one morning, but would rather go for a run...

If you are talking about the hill up to the mountain................thats one of the hardest hills I have ever done.imageimage
  • Options
    And the hill I did was no where near 3 miles long!!
  • Options
    Would you like me to find you one Soupy?
  • Options

*throws Dustboy a cheeseburger to distract him from the topic in hand*

• Options
    But actually..........instead of doing multiple laps of the flat cycle track on Friday afternoons I'm thinking of doing Box Hill and probably the Ballbuster route soon. imageimage
  • Options
    SteadyCJSteadyCJ ✭✭✭
    I am near Box Hill but have never tried cycling up it, I know I should and would like to give it a try soon, so give me a shout Soup Dragon and hopefully we can do it together.
  • Options
    Okay Steady.  Box Hill isn't as bad as it looks - even I can get up it, honest.  Well the zigzag way anyway. If we throw Dustboy another cheeseburger he might join us as well.  
  • Options
    A 3 mile hill!!! Or ride up a hill that takes 20mins!!!  they aren't hills they are mountains!  image  Actually how slowly I travel uphill on my mountain bike most hills might take that long to cycle up! image
  • Options
    I dream of living somewhere where there are hills that take 3 mins to ride up.....flat as an ironing board where i liveimage
  • Options
    JEvaNsJEvaNs ✭✭✭

It wasn't the mountain seren.... and I wouldn't call it a hill either... it's an incline that turns a 4:20 min mile into a 6 min mile.

All routes around here are hilly, but I really struggle with the bike - I get bored after an hour and just want to go home after two. I struggle to make up routes as well and get a bit worried the further out I go. So something that is definately work (incline) and not too far from home (still can't change my tyre without swearing lots and having a sulk) would be perfect for me.

I'll get the long rides in too image but a session like that would get me on the bike for an hour or so, which is surely a good thing. 

I might give the mountain a go now though. It's only 1 mile up to the top and I reckon is faster to run....

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Secret of on the bike training is miles, miles, miles. Would be the same with running if the risk of injury was not there. However miles take time.

Hill work is good, but a bit of a waste of time if you are spinning up in a low gear. Better to be slightly over geared (not too over geared or you will kill your knees) stay in the saddle or ideally TT position and grind up the hill. Feel the burn in your thighs and arse. Effectively on bike weight training to help you push bigger gears in your race. Also try spinning down the other side to improve your pedalling efficency. A cadence metre makes this good fun as you try to get up to 150rpm without bouncing around in the saddle.

Also a good session is a flat (or very slightly downhill), quiet 1/2m stretch of road. Warm up, get up to speed so you hit your start line at full pace and ride the 1/2m flat out. Aim for 1min (30mph!). Have a 3min rest riding back to the start and go again. Do 4 - 6 reps first time out and build up to 8 - 10 reps. Builds speed and is ideal prep for 10 - 50m TTs.
  • Options

o 4 - 6 reps first time out and build up to 8 - 10 reps. Builds speed and is ideal prep for 10 - 50m TTs.

Cheating git image   10 mile TTs just learn to hurt. 25 miles hurt a bit less but for longer, 50 miles same as 25 but with a drink!