Sub 3

Comments

• I was like James and meant to head over to the event - congrats to mt and eps for 1/2nd. I think a fella called jim rogers could hav been the 24hr gb track guy he rn the entire wolds way last week in one go so maybe why the early dropout?

I'd very much lost my mojo with injury and work, but running seems to have pushed the injury and the work to oneside, so this famed 8 week marathon build up is going to get tested Chester is 6 weeks on Sunday and ive just completed my biggest rolling weekly mileage, I'd like to be able to say that again each week for the next month! trouble is absolutely zero quality and I need to work out how to get it fitted in

Anybody else doing Chester?
  • WTGY - it was indeed the GB 24hr team man Jim Rogers who started, but dropped out early doors. I had heard he was on the start line, but didn't know what he looked like (or indeed MTriton until around 5 hrs in or so!) so had generally assumed he was somewhere ahead. Hard to tell with the relay teams and lapped runners where we were in the overall standings, so it was quite a surprise when Matt told me he thought we were in the lead...
  • coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    .....on the subject of ultras, my training partner came second at the World 50km Trophy last weekend in 2:57 (quick!). Set a Belgium national record in the process. Looking good for the 100km world champs in 3 weeks time.

I've run for the last 3 days, which is the longest streak for well over a month. Might have to take today as a rest day image
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Coro - decent sub 3 by your training partner. Oh, wait a minute, it wasn't just a marathon....

Quiet on here for the past few days. I haven't had much to post, just a bit of swimming and cycling over the past couple of days. Suspect I won't be doing much training for the next 10 days! Would like to have a final go at the TT tonight though.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    2.57 is impressive !!!!!!!!!!

Running is going well here, just tired from the volume. This mornings speed work was tough.

Good luck tonight Padams I also have a 10 mile TT.

Charlie - Rach only had trainers on as that is how she commutes. I came 23rd with my SPDs on some 35 seconds behind her.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Nice performances there Gobi -- the standard has definitely gone up a few notches since my only appearance. (I tried to use Velcro straps around my suit jacket sleeves to reduce aerodynamic capture BTW... top tip for next time.)

I've YouTube'd my Snowdon horseshoe/Crib Goch run, mainly for the benefit of two chaps at work who insisted I should do it: sub 3 (min) version and ultra endurance version for those terribly interested in that specific run (~7 poorly edited minutes).

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

No one turned up to the TT last night, so I couldn't bury myself as much as two weeks ago when I was chasing people down. So I was surprised when I stopped my watch on the line and saw a new PB by 14 secs (24:27). Shame I won't be able to try it again this season as I'm pretty sure there's another 15 secs or so to come.

Definitely need a 23:xx next season!

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Charlie the sharp end is mad

Effort Padams - I rode the national course from a few years ago last night. 24.01 and a best on this course by 30 seconds. Getting harder and harder to keep it together as I run more.

11 miles this morning and 60 in 4 days this week. Didn't run Sunday.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Anyone interested in following any of the Ultra-Trail races this weekend can do so here

Three races - TDS (110km) set off this morning at 8am; CCC (98km) goes tomorrow morning, and UTMB (166km) leaves at 5.30pm UK time tomorrow.

Click on "tab. passages" for each races rankings in running. Or "fiches coureurs" to follow progress of any individual.

Lots of very fast looking trail runners wandering around town at the moment.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭
    DanA - best of luck, you deserve it after some of your recent races. I won't be able to follow it but will be very interested in the results when I'm back.
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Popping in to say hi and really good luck DanA. I ran yesterday for the first timee in 5 days. 

I'm in Kansas at the moment for work so busy and lots of late nights.

Hopped in taxi to work this morning, and the guy said "so have you tried the BBQ food yet - Kansas is famous for its BBQ"... "not yet" said i - and then he said "well i have to cut back anyway - and on the smoking" (as he grabbed pack) "i had a heart attack 2 weeks ago - just got out of the hopital a few days back". 

then i put on my safety belt.

america is weird. 

• Best of luck DanA, look forward to the report.

12 miles for me yesterday with 10 at MP.  I did exactly the same time to the second for the MP section as last week.  I might not be fast but at least I am consistent.

10k at HMP at lunchtime.  Off to Norfolk for the w/e so at least my LSR will be different on Sunday, getting bored with my usual out and back.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Very fast TT'ing from Gobi & Padams.

Nice MP effort Murph.

Best of luck  DanA, bet you can't wait after last year's weather affected abridged event.

Thanks for the cracking video clips CharlieW.

Better news from Wardi towers.  3 runs since Sunday and no discomfort or flare up from my old lower hammy injury.  I've been carrying this problem since the end of April and to suddenly find that it's not there was quite a pleasant shock.  I have long suspected that it was a nerve problem and the fact that it has vanished in a matter of a few days perhaps reinforces this.  I will play safe for a while but I reckon I have moved from the middle of the bench to slightly off centre.  10m pain free with the club tonight.

I would also like to wish Padams and Mrs Padams to be best wishes for the wedding.  Can't remember which day it is but I hope the weather stays fair and you both have a cracking day.  Oh, and please don't forget to mention how lovely the bride looks in your speech Padams..image

• coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    Padams - have a great wedding. Enjoy Lord B's house.....

DanA - good luck and have fun (if that's is possible!)
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Cheers Wardi and Coro! It's tomorrow. At work this morning but taking the afternoon off to sort out my speech! Just hoping the weather clears up a bit - the forecast is reasonable so hopefully we'll be OK.

Weights yesterday lunchtime and a steady run yesterday evening. Might be able to squeeze a bit more training in this afternoon if I get everything else done, but then I'll probably not be training for the next 5 days or so. Oh well, it is a special occasion I suppose....

• Still here Wardi, just not posting much cos not much to say.   Good to see you getting back to it, fingers crossed.

Good luck Dan, looking forward to the report.

Running across the humber bridge for 12 hours -must try it!  Mtriton - hope your feet are better!  XPS - I know what the back of Jims head looks like as he is always in front of me.  Congrats on a huge acheivement - can't find the reults anywhere yet though.

Unsurprisingly Ive decided not to marafun this autumn, not long (>16m) since my crap Lykewake (July 10th or so) and only 5 weeks to my chosen race, best I skip it I think. Eyeing up a few shorter ones, with a 16m off roader near Robin Hoods Bay for tomorrow, and I want to have a good crack at getting my 10k pb down a bit (currently 36:58, 35:xx would be a reasonable target?).

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Padams: Best wishes for the big day - enjoy it.

DanA: I really hope you get a good run, and the weather holds. Looking forward to the report.

XPS & MT: Well done on a race that frankly holds little appeal to me!

• Absolutely chuckingit down here, might need a snorkel for tomorrows race, and they have delayed the utmb start for a few hours because of snow, hope this allows the race to complete this year.

Mtr It is a little extreme

Padams All the best for tomorrow
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Wardi - great news re your long standing hammy problem. thats awesome.  i am pretty sure my current foot/calf problems are nerve related and hope they too just dissappear one day.  good luck on the road back to full recovery.

Padams - enjoy the big day - and sort the speech out while u are training!

hopefully flying back to london today, assuming this pesky hurricane doesn't hit landfall/my airports too soon.  tiring week - i don't know how Coro does it with all the travel and keepng up the training.

• Massive good luck to Dan and a big well done to XPS and MT for their Humber Bridge outing. Massively impressed.

Just got back from a week in Snowdonia. Never spotted CW but judging by his posting he cannot have been that far away from where we were staying in Penmachno. Got in some great tarmac running on the back roads.

Only doing 25-45mpw at the moment with no racing. Not injured but still a bit fat.

Sorry to any (Iron Men?) I may have missed

Dull
  • Hey up folks!

What Have I Missed.

Read back a few pages and was aware of CRAB's performance. Looks like some great efforts up on the bridge by MT/XPS.

Good luck to Padams  for his big day and DanA big effort. Well done to MTR on his performance. Read the blog on fetch.

Not much going on this end. Not really post Comrades blues but took some time out to smell the roses and chill. Was on the bike quite a bit but got knocked off mid-July resulting in a chipped pelvic bone. COuld have been worse as cracked the helmet.

Still ticking over with low quantity, and having flirted elsewhere, feels good to be back in the fold. Going to have another Crack at Comrades (no pressure on myself this time!) , so with Glos and VLM, my usual Spring campaign!

TR- Enjoy the break with the family. Doing the same next week!

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Good luck/have fun Padams and DanA. (Spooky thing about getting married is people being present from different contexts in your life who shouldn't normally talk to each other... respectable aunties hearing what you got up to as a student from university friends, etc :- )

Last day here in Caenarfon on the other side of Snowdon from you, Dull. Actually I've only done 2 proper fell runs, but also enjoyed some more local explorations, and done some pretty flat tarmac runs on the coast road/cycle path too as I have half marathons coming up (14M @6:45/M this morning -- but my calves were still iffy from mountains). Not a big mileage holiday like last year though, when I both recce'd all of the Bob Graham Round and did at least one 26M road session in anticipation of Abingdon.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Ode - nice to see you, also planning Comrades next year but I will be under pressure to perform.

Good luck Padams
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good luck DanA and have a wonderful day, Padams.
  • Have a wonderful weekend Padams

Groin worse again this week (and not helped by falling up the stairs yesterday). Both feet sore. Left achilles sore. Calf niggle earlier in the week. New niggle today in my glute. 3 and a bit weeks till the taper...

• Bizarre! Two false starts in the World Championships Women's Marathon.

My money's on Sharon Cherop.

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    17.07 at Cardiff Parkrun 91 mile week.
  • Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Hope today went well for DanA and Padams. Good park run and great mileage Gobi (who will be pleased to hear that I’ve been hitting the carbs in an attempt to get my weight up a bit). Hello to the other posters who've re-emerged since I joined the thread a few weeks ago (if you're interested, you can read my absurdly overlong introductory posts a few pages back).

An update on my week and (once again) an attempt to exploit your experience and vastly superior knowledge on pacing. Also, to put the more useful stuff first, for those of you who have read the book “Born to Run”, you might be interested to learn that Caballo Blanco is about to come to the UK to do some talks – should be a really interesting evening (see http://caballoblanco.weebly.com/).

My pacing question has two parts: (1) what pace I should run VO2max intervals in light of this week’s time trial so that I’m pushing myself properly rather than just going off a Mcmillan 5k pace calculation based on a 3 hour marathon; and (2) whether in light of my current fitness (as became clear this week, my training has really boosted it), it’s worth aiming to start out slightly quicker than 3 hour pace, allowing myself to slow a bit later on if necessary, or whether this is getting greedy (slightly repeating previous question I know).

So...Berlin’s now 4 weeks away and following peak weeks of 72m, 75m and 72m, the Pfitzinger schedule I’m following called for a slight cutback in overall distance before a final heavy week next week then a 3 week taper (somewhat inevitably, I imagine I’ll have some questions for you all on tapering at that point!). A total of 62m, which was much appreciated after feeling totally wiped following last Saturday’s 20m with 16m at a proposed MP (av 6:43/m). Really pushed myself for yesterday’s 10k time trial (a big PB of 35:21) and for today’s LR (new little niggle in my right knee - anxious to see how it feels tomorrow) but tomorrow’s totally off and have a recovery run planned for Mon.

Week's training follows in next post.