Started 8 wk beginner's schedule today

Comments

• Hi everyone, well I have been RUBBISH this week! Haven't been out since Tuesday I think. Had a weird groin pain when I walked one day, but since then I've just been a bit busy with DIY (seems to be the theme of the week!) and dealing with 5 billion apples from the garden, crumble, chutney, apple sauce etc.

Sorry it's just a quick post tonight, but will get back on track from tomorrow eve! 

Just had to share this link for my fellow cat lovers on this thread as it is just hilarious- http://www.flickr.com/groups/catloaves/  Funniest bits are in the discussions where they point out what doesn't  fulfill the "catloaf" criteria.

Apologies to those of you who thought you were on here to discuss running and not cats image

Proper catch up after my next run!  imagexxx

• Hi again everyone. I dunno, nothing from me for a week then three posts in a row! image

Well, just got in from my run and am really pleased as I managed to do 5 lots of run 4 / walk 1 without too much trouble! I was expecting 3 mins to be hard as I hadn’t been out since last Monday. So am definitely back on track.

But what does it mean when a Neanderthal-looking man lopes past you and says “f*ing hell” under his breath. I’m sure it must be a compliment tho?…

Hi Norfolklass, glad that your legs a better again. Whitlingham sounds beautiful in the morning! And really interesting to hear about your new running technique. I tried to pay a bit more attention to mine this evening. But I don’t think I’m going fast enough to really have any sort of technique at all just yet! Wow, I’m impressed that you find time for an allotment! I’ve just been snowed under with apples and I think I’m going to turn into one soon like this image. LOL! Would much prefer to be a runner bean!

Hi Iain, thanks for the link – of course it’s at the Sportspark, I should have realised. Sure it won’t be long before you’re out there with them! Have you had any good news from the physio yet?

Hi Snails, sorry to hear about your poor dog. How is he? Hope he’s recovered OK. It’s such a worry when you have an ill pet. Has the paint smell gone yet? I’ve been decorating too last week. We’ve got a conservatory which must be 25 years old and needs pulling down really, except we can’t because it acts as our front door as the previous owners blocked up the original one, so we’ve got to keep it going for a few more years until we can afford to replace it with something. So have been patching it up and painting it and filling the gaps to keep the insects and rain out. I think it is mostly held up with mastic now, let’s hope it does the job! Re Big brother, I watched the first one out of morbid curiosity – and have to agree with Cheetah - Jedward mark a new low for Big Brother, and that is saying something! Haha! Now be a good Snail and GIVE US A LINK TO YOUR PIC!!!!!image

Hi Cheetah, thanks for reminding me about that you get a 2 min walk break when you do 5 mins, I had completely forgotten about that! Will make a difference. Well done on your running with the new group! Yes, “hill repeats” has got a certain ring to it, and not in a good way. And well done on the driving! Maybe I will take inspiration from you and get out there again. I must try and find an instructor and get a couple of refreshers. 

Hi Miffy, good for you to go back to the plan, in my limited experience I think it really helps, I’m definitely better with something to tell me what to do, it makes you push yourself, without being tempted to overdo things. – Hope you’ve recovered from the decorating!

Everyone else – hope you’re running / walking is going well?

Cuppa tea and some rubbish on telly I think! xxx
  • Right then,

On the bike again on Monday, got bored after 15 mins so hopped onto the treadmill for a very gentle 8 or 9 mins, easy pace, no incline but more importantly, NO PAIN! Covered just under a mile, so really pleased.
    Had a brief discussion with the physio today and we are going to do a full exam and stress test on thursday to see exactly where I am with recovery.
    It be a case of warm up on the bike before getting on the mill, a few hills etc to see how the knee reacts, then sort out a program to get me back up to my previous levels/distances.

All being well, i'll be fit again for the Parkrun on 24th september, and possibly a 10k before the winter sets in.

Volunteered at Parkrun on saturday in Norwich, huge turn out with approx 290 runners starting the run!
    First man to finish was a rather speedy 16.06 mins, with the 2nd just over 1 1/2 mins behind him, and 278 finishing the course.
    That number will dwindle over the autumn months, but it'll remain a good size bunch with a lot of the regular runners going right through the winter months. Xmas day last year, 54 people completed the run.
    Already warned the missus that i intend going to the xmas eve run, means i get out of the last minute shopping!  image

Norfolklass, Whitlingham broad is less than 10 mins from me, if you feel upto a run together sometime (once i'm fully fit) give me a shout. Would be nice to have someone to run with, and a new route round the lake sounds really appealing.

• Hi everyone,

Did a nice 2 miles yesterday - i've decided to train using distance now rather than time, so i'll see how that goes. Didn't want to do any more than that yesterday cos i have done so little the past 2 weeks, i'm scared of going straight back in again and getting injured.....so i'll build up gradually. Also, there is absolutely no way i am putting a link to any photos of me, even if you lot get down on bended knee!!!lol...My wee dog is doing well now thankfully too.

Cheetah - i don't like the sound of 'hill repeats' either. Your running is really coming on brilliant - it won't be long till you progress to the Wednesday runs. Hope your cat is getting better.

Norfolklass - i read that article on running form too, and then forgot about it until you mentioned it, and yesterday i was thinking about the way i run - its not pretty - i seem to land flat footed and take off again the same way - maybe thats why i'm so slow, so i'm definately going to try and work at that a bit (obviously on the forest trails were i can't be seen).

Minty - paint smell gone (or else i've got used to it). Loved the cat-loaves link. Well done on your 5 x run 4/ walk 1....isn't it great when the number of reps goes down.

Miffy - i think thats a good idea to go back to the schedule again - i think sometimes the structure is needed to keep on track. Googled Gower - it looks like a lovely area - we toured Wales twice when i was young and i was definately at 'the mumbles', but mostly i remember North Wales, it was beautiful.

Iain - thats great news you've had no pain after trying out the treadmill - hope all goes well with the physio and that you keep progressing.

Enjoy your runs everyone <sniggers quietly to self> xxximage

• Hello! No running for me tonight, I did manage to reverse a car round a corner without going into a kerb though! image

I managed the same route as the last couple of times at the running club again on Monday - my time was right in between last Monday and Wednesdays. I was trying to use my toes, and it seemed to work as every time I tried it I overtook someone lol! I was tired so started off pretty slowly and built up gradually - or else I think I would have been able to beat my last time.

Then yesterday I had a GREAT run! I added a couple more bits onto the route I did last Friday, and kept my fingers crossed that: a) I'd be able to finish ; and b) It would be 5 miles this time!

After I'd been running for about 10 minutes and got the first evil hill out of the way, my achy bits miraculously stopped hurting and my energy appeared out of nowhere so I was confident I'd be able to finish (I'd put a "I'm too knackered so turn back here to make it shorter" point somewhere in the middle of the run, but didn't need it - also an optional extra bit at the end, which I actually DID!)

I think it helped that there were intermittent cool showers too. I made it home in 1hour and 4 seconds without stopping - and it came to 5.52 miles!!!!!!! I'm very happy with that - and it means I can do a shorter run tomorrow. I didn't even ache today!

Hi MInty - you're pobably posting round about now anyway!  I love the catloaf link -we call that the "cat with no legs" pose - and I just looked to my right and Motley is beside me in a PERFECT catloaf position lol!

Glad your running is going well - not sure about the neanderthal man, it's DEFINITELY a compliment - I might assume it was someone I used to hang out with before I decided to get fit haha!

Hi Iain - glad nothing hurt on the treadmill, and hope your physio session today went well!

Snails - we'll just have to find the photos of the 10k you did and GUESS which one is you!  image (Go oooon!) I've been using distance to train, I only time myself out of interest now - I don't really care how long I run for! Glad your dog is feeling better - our scabby tabby is a lot LESS scabby now, and the vet says we should just finish the course of antibiotics and taper off the steroids and she should be fine. 

Right, enough waffling from me for one night! I'll be doing a shorter run tomorrow, then what I do on Sunday depends on wheter or not the running club is on with it being the bank holiday. They weren't sure on Monday! Happy running everyone! image

• Hi everyone, didn't run today, went out last night and it was HARD! Think it was the difference in the weather, was quite warm last night. But I managed to complete it, just!

Iain, that's great news that you're starting to run again, without pain. How did you get on today? re the parkrun, WOW at the man who did it in16.06!

Snails - glad your doggy is on the mend. I like the idea of training by distance, it must be satisfying to say that you can run so many miles, rather than "four minutes at a time, times 5" - sounds so much more impressive! - yes I love Wales too. Went on lots of camping hols there as a kid. Yes - whereabout in the country are you Snails? So we can look up the 10K pics! Haha, actually that sounds a bit too much like stalking doesn't it, so maybe I won't.image

Cheetah - fab that you had such a good run, well done! Glad you and Snails liked the catloaf link! Didn't you mean to say that Motley was in a "PURRRRFECT" catloaf position LOL!!image Glad your tabby is less scabby. And you will be proud of me that I have just emailed a driving instructor to book some refresher lessons! Yay!

• Went to work today full of confidence that the stress test on my knee would be OK, and that my recovery was nearly over.

Physio collared me at 1030 to say he wasn't able to do the assessment this afternoon as he'd been put on a training course for the afternoon and couldn't get out of it, but told me what he wanted me to do, and to let him know how it all went.

So, it went something like this...

12 mins at 4mph (brisk walking pace) to warm up
    2 mins at 6mph on a 5% incline
    3 mins walk 4mph
    2 mins at 6mph on a 10% incline
    3 mins walk 4mph
    1 1/2 mins at 6mph on a 15% incline
    3 mins walk 4mph
    5 mins at 7mph
    1 min at 8.5 mph
    4 mins walk to cool down

36 minutes altogether covering approx 2 3/4 miles in all.

To give an indication of relative speeds, my usual training pace is 7.5 mph, which gives me an 8 minute mile.
    8.5 mph is just over 7 minute mile pace.
    Also, the incline percentage refers to the amount of vertical ascent relative to the distance traveled horizontaly, so a 10 % incline would be a rise of 10 metres for every 100 metres horizontally.

So, how did it FEEL?

Bloody marvelous is the answer, although tiring and rather sweaty!
    NO discomfort at all while doing the test, and still no discomfort now approx 6 1/2 hours later. Having said that, I certainly felt it in my leg muscles, especially the 10% and 15% inclines! Its suprising how much it takes out of you going up hill like that, especially in the calves, because i was running almost on my toes for the 15% incline. Its something i'll be doing more of in the future as its good training and will help develop stronger muscles in the long run, as well as getting the ankle joint flexing further.

• Hi everyone,

I am soooo going to keep you guessing where i am!! Lol image

Cheetah - wow 5.52 miles - that is brilliant, you are rapidly improving - i think i'm going backwards instead of forwards (obviously not literally). Its inspiring though to read about how much everyone else is improving - i just need to get the inspiration signal to my feet.

Minty - at least you completed it, so good for you - its so much harder to run in the heat. Thats great you want to get back out driving again - it'll be so handy for you. Look forward to hear how you get on.

Iain - thats great news and i'm really happy to hear you have no pain. That was quite an intense assessment too - it was good you could still do it without the physio though, and didn't have to postpone. I wonder when you'll be allowed to stop the treadmill and get back outdoors again?

Night night everyone, imagexx

• My guess due to the "wee dog" is that you're somewhere in Scotland, Snails!!...xx
  • Nope.....i have a feeling this is going to be a very short process of elimination.....imagex

• Hi everyone,

I hope you dont mind me joining your thread but i've found it a very interesting and encouraging read!

I have never run before, but i have been to watch the London marathon 3 times now and have decided to enter and to my surprise a charity has offered me a gold place! My partner completed his first marathon the year before last, and his sister done it this year, so its only fair that i give it a shot too!

I havent really got a training plan as such, i printed off the VLM ones, but am kind of doing my own thing, I started back in april just going for a few runs to get my general fitness a bit better, stopped smoking and started eating better, but i pulled some ligaments in my back on a night out and have had to start over!

So, i started mild training last week, i covered 4.7miles last night, with a mixture of walk/jogging which i was quite pleased with!

I dont want to push it too hard and cause injury, but then i dont want to under push myself and then not make it round on the day!

• Hi Blondierunner - welcome to the thread!

Wow - a marathon, that's really impressive - also cool that you know people who've done it before and can give you some good pointers. 4.7 miles is great - I think I've only gone further than that once! image

Also isn't it just sod's law you do all that exercise then go and get injured on a night out - that could only happen to me normally (speaking as someone who got a cross-trainer in January then fell down the stairs before I got to have a go on it!)

Just a short run for me tonight - 5.6k (although when that distance became a SHORT run I have now idea!). It was chucking it down with rain and I really enjoyed it - everyone was hudding in doorways or creeping along under brollies - and I was just running past them not giving a toss as I was going to get in the snower once I was done anyway! image

Hmm Snails......not Scotland - that leaves... um, Ireland? *scratches head*

It's only a couple of weeks to my race now - I need to dig out my cat ears to run in! image

Right - the chilli con carne is simmering away nicely now, I better go stir it! Happy bank holiday weekend everyone!

• Thanks for the reply! Yeah I am one of them people that 'it could only happen to you' lol! That will teach me for attempting to pull out beyonce moves when I'm out with the girls!!

Anyway, back to the running, how man time a week should I be going? Is twice a week to begin far too little? Should I be going every night? god I have so many questions!!

Also, does anyone have a blackberry? If so, what app is best for tracking milage and speed per mile etc? I always carry with me as I don't like to run on my own without it (trust no-one!!)
  • ^ half my sentences dont make sense in that post... *time for bed I think!
  • Hi everyone,

Welcome to the thread Blondierunner - i only started running this year and followed the RW beginners schedule - its a walk/run based programme three times a week for 8 weeks. You definately need to have rest days to allow your body to adapt and recover, so every day is too much. You could try three times a week for a wee while and then build on that.

Cheetah - you are indeed correct, i'm from Northern Ireland. I am still not putting a link to those photos on the forum!! If anyone really really wants to see me looking ridiculous i will send the link via e-mail if they message me their e-mail address <crosses all fingers and toes hoping that no-one will>image

Hope everyone is well, and having a nice weekend xx

• That's how I got started - an eight week schedule in Men's Health to "get anyone running for thirty minutes non stop, from a bloke who can't run a bath, to those who can manage a twenty minute canter to begin with".

Well, I wasn't quite at the 'couldn't run a bath' stage, but let's just say, my running capacity was very low.

Now, around a year later, I'm running 3-4 miles three times a week.  Just make sure you stick with it - the first few weeks, I found that I was struggling to meet the quota and had to repeat the week again.  There's no shame in that and before you know it, you'll really begin to enjoy it. image  And don't worry about speed, it's about distance more than speed. image

Edit:  My schedule was from Runners World as well. image

• Hello everyone, hope you're all having good BH weekends. I got some unexpected and brilliant post this morning, the taxman took too much money from me last year and sent me a cheque for £106!!! HURRAH! Think I might just treat myself to a guilt-free garmin image

I did a couple of 30min runs during the week which were easy and hard, and 45mins today which started hard but got easier. No aches or pains, not too tired, not too hot, not too many people around - I sound like Goldilocks! Can't believe I did 45mins, and mapometer-ed it when I got home and it was 6.8k image Going to add 5mins each weekend so another 3 weeks and I'll be up to an hour, then I'm going to try and increase my speed a bit.

Miffy, I hope going back to the plan is working for you, having some kind of structure makes a big difference. Hope you're managing to fit some running in around the decorating, why does decorating always take twice as long as you think it will?? Forefoot running sounds interesting, I tried to push off more with my toes today but kept forgetting and going back to my usual flat-footed plod.

Cheetah, hope your mog is all better, ours is very itchy at the moment. Mostly I think due to the fur on her neck growing back after she was shaved for blood samples, poor thing. Glad your running's been going so well, it sounds like your fitness must be pretty good, what with evil hills and optional extra bits! Did you tell us which race you're doing? Hope you don't feel so sick before this one, and stay injury free.

Minty, are you still under a mountain of apples?? Thanks for that link to catloaves - genius! (We call it sitting like a chicken, or chickeny bits image) Glad you're back on track, hope the neanderthal didn't put you off your stride, I'm with Cheetah it must be a compliment! Another few weeks and you'll be training by distance too, it still amazes me how quickly you can go from couch to 5k. I started running on 13th May, that's only 16 weeks ago.

Iain, great news re your tests and the lack of pain - brilliant - now don't overdo it before the 24th! I will do the parkrun one day, not sure it'll be Christmas Day though, that's serious commitment. I'll give you a shout once I've got a few more miles under my belt, I still feel like too much of a beginner to run with other people, but I can recommend Whitlingham and the track would be gentler on your joints than running on pavement.

Snails, I'm so glad your dog is better. So, how many messages have you had re your photos?!? I was going to suggest that we try and find out how many 10k races there were on the day you raced and narrow it down that way but thought that sounded far too stalker-ish! How are you finding your garmin 305?

Hi Blondie, welcome to the thread! Sounds like you had one hell of a night out if you pulled ligaments!!! Hope they heal soon. I'm in complete awe of anyone who can do a marathon, a few friends of mine have done it but I don't think it's on my list!

Right, off to message Snails re those photos…!
  • Hello, thanks for the replies everyone!

I will have a look now for the 8week plan!

Does anyone know of any good app's for running? So I know how far I'm going etc?

Thanks!!
  • Hi everyone...... I feel ROUGH today! We went for a curry and a few beers last night so I'm a bit hungover - and on top of that I think I'm coming down with a cold..... so I REALLY need some inspiration to do my run today. Therefore I've decided if I do it then I can get a Garmin. From eBay. Tonight!

If I don't - no Garmin - EVER! Therefore I am taking my sorry state of a body out for some form of a run very shortly - maybe about 5k again. 

I shall update later, hopefully having ordered a Garmin! image

• If you don't go out for a run I won't buy a garmin either, how's that for inspiration?!?
    (hope you feel better soon!)
  • Don't worry Norfolklass - I did it, we can have Garmins now! image

I did the same 5.6k route as on Friday, it took me past the scenes of the crime - the pub and curry house we went to last night. I was 20 seconds faster than on Friday too, so not bad to say I was full of snot tonight! image I am now having a well deserved blackcurrant Lemsip - I promised myself I could have it after my run as well as a Garmin lol!

OK I can reply to everyone now!

Blondierunner - I can't recommend the training schedules on here enough - you seem to be covering a good distance already though. I've got an android phone and the apps I've tried on it so far haven't worked - probably as I keep it in my bumbag and it blocks the signal or something.

Minty - THIS is my favourite catloaf!

Hi Roadrunner - it's amazing how these 8 week schedules work, I never would have believed I could run 5.6k with a cold and a hangover a couple of months ago!

Norfolklass - I LOVE post like that! I'm allowed a Garmin as when I checked my bank balance yesterday, I hadn't spent as much this month as I thought I had - AND I needed inspiration to get out there tonight. Well done on your run, it sounds like you're doing great! Nikki the scabby tabby is a lot better now - she had a patch of fur missing where one of the worst scabby bits was - that's starting to grow back now. 

I think there's a storm brewing as 3 cats came flying down the stairs at warp speed earlier, with their tails all puffed up like bog-brushes! I've no idea what spooked them but they looked really funny!

Snails - I think I've found the photos of your race, no idea which one is you though (people running on a gravelly bit under a big inflatable black thing it looks like....?) If I've got the right one everyone looks quite happy anyway, can't see any really bad photos! image(Don't worry I'm not really an internet stalker!) 

I'm doing the Robin Hood mini-marathon in a couple of weeks (2.6 miles) - there'll probably be photos of me after that to! I'll be the one in cat ears with a bright red face!

Right - time to order my Garmin now! I've decided to go for the Forerunner 305 - it's a bit bulky but has good reviews and seems to do just about everything. The 405 is sleeker, but more expensive so I'm going for the cheap option! image

• Hi everyone,

Cheetah - poor you image, but remember the last time a run helped you feel better. I think you might have found the right race, though i'm not even going to write where it was held in case everyone else finds it too. I was going to message you the link but you don't have the 'message me' bit activated (phew!!). Very exciting you are getting a Garmin - the 305 is a bit bulky but it fits well, and is really good.

Norfolklass - what a nice surprise from the taxman. The Garmin 305 is now less than £100 on Amazon + free postage (but i'm not sure how much it is on e-bay) so you would even have a bit of change left over image, which is always good. I see you have the 'message' thingy - i might mail you that race link tomorrow as long as you promise not to publish it, lol!!

Blondierunner - don't know at all re apps - i'm so untechnical (? spelling or even existence of word) you wouldn't believe it, so i can't help you there. I just wrote my stuff on a piece of paper, and used my stopwatch on my phone.

Hi Roadrunner - yes i agree its a very good plan to follow - and i was one who started from zero fitness. You are definately right about running for distance and not worrying about speed, i've read alot of comments from experienced runners that speed comes later (heres hoping), so i try and do one 'speed' session a week - i'm still a snail, so its slow progress.

Minty, Miffy, Tommy, Iain - hope you've had a nice weekend.

Night night all, image xx (you know, i really like that yawn emoticon!)

• imageGroan. Aaaaaaaaaah-CHOOOOOOO! I am in the grips of man flu today. (I really DO get it like men do - the sort you can die from!)

I AM going to be brave though - the running club is still on and it's meant to be a 5 mile run tonight, but as I'm dying I think I'll go along anyway, but join the beginners group again, who are on the last week of the 8 week training programme and doing the 30 min run, or round about 5k. I can always do a longer run later in the week when I'm feeling better - and have a Garmin that needs testing! image

Snails - I THINK I have enabled the messagey thing, and promise to keep lips sealed! image

The plan now is to have a lemsip just before I set off for the running club, and take some tissues so I don't sneeze on any poor innocent ducks! 

• Hi everyone,

Norfolklass and Cheetah - you have mail.

Poor you with your man flu Cheetah - thats very brave (and woman-like) to persevere on with your run!image

Hope everyone else is well. No run for me today - will go tomorrow.xx

• Hello,

thanks for the advice! also, can anyone recommend any good foods to eat before a run NOT BANANA'S though!! i hate them and the mere thought of even peeling one makes me want to throw up, but all people keep recommending to me is banana's! argh!!

• Hi guys,

Just got in from my run, haven’t been since Weds last week. Been a bit slack lately! But I think due to the cooler weather, I managed to do four lots of run 5mins, walk 2! I’m really chuffed with this because I have had this in my head as a bit of a milestone, as it’s felt like a bit of a slog getting this far. MUST try to get out 3 times this week. Although, things are going to get a bit tricky as of next Tuesday as my DH is flying out to Australia for 2 weeks to be with his sadly very ill mum. So I will be struggling with both kids on my own, which should feel like a workout in itself. My mum and dad are great with the kids though, so might be able to arrange for Dad to babysit while mum and I go out.

I am also having a driving lesson next week! OOH am excited but nervous at the same time.  Not sure exactly what day yet, but prob Thurs (those of you in Norwich, might be aswell to stay indoors if possible).

Hi Iain, that’s great that your test went so well! Really pleased for you. Are you venturing out soon?

Snails – Yes please can I have a pic?! Will check my message settings so there’s no excuse image. I love your doggy profile pic by the way! 

Hi Blondie, welcome to the thread! That is FANTASTIC that you have a place for the London marathon. That’s the sort of thing that I dream of. And doing 4.7miles doesn’t sound like “mild training” to me, very impressive for starting over! Will be great to hear how your training progresses up to the big day! Sorry can’t advise re any apps. I’m still using my watch and an ancient nokia brick as a phone (although hoping to upgrade soon!). Don’t really know very much about nutrition and running but I’m guessing slow-release carbs? Maybe like, um, bananas?image Seriously, though, have a search on the articles on this site, I think I remember reading one about that.

Cheetah – how are you feeling? Hope you’re on the mend. Well done for running even though you felt so rubbish! Did you go and survive the run last night? Good on you for ordering a Garmin. Can’t wait to hear what it’s like. And your favourite catloaf is the SPITTING image of my beloved Minty. Honestly I would have thought it was her if I didn’t know better. The only difference is Minty had a bigger white patch on her chest, and of course, she wasn’t called Parsnip (tho I LOVE that name!).

Nofolklass, have you ordered your Garmin yet? I just know I’m going to want one if you all get them image (jealous green face). Well done on your 45mins, sounds amazing to me! Yes, still got about 5 tonnes of apples, though probably 1 tonne of that is just earwigs image(pukey green face). WHY – DO YOU WANT SOME?????? (please, please, please…). I’m sure my friends are avoiding me because I keep trying to force apples on them.  Oh and loved “chickeny bits” LOL!

Hi Roadrunner – good to hear about your progress and comforting to know that I’m not the only one to repeat the early weeks. Feels like it’s been forever and I’m only just doing the 5mins!

OK, sorry this was a long one! Feeling like I had been neglecting you! Off for the latest instalment of Top Model and a glass of wine. Night night imagexx
  • Evening - my man-flu is now at the stage where it feels like all the cats have crawled up my nose and are tickling the sides of it with their whiskers! The good news is I think I feel SLIGHTLY better tonight than I have done all day, and am hopeful about managing some form of a run tomorrow.

I went to the running club last night and joined the beginners - I'm glad I didn't go for the 5 mile run as I only just managed the 30 minute run, which was about 2.8 miles! By the end I was a wheezy sweaty shivery jibbering sneezy wreck- but  my time wasn't too bad, I came second haha! (I must be getting faster without realising it with the longer runs!) image

Luckily the running club have decided to repeat this week's session next Monday as not many people were there, so I should get to do the 5 mile route after all.

Thanks for the mail Snails (snail mail?) - hope you managed your run tonight. Your doggy looks cute - is he a westie? We had a cairn terrier when I was growing up, so sort of a similar one, only in brown!

Hi Blondie - I tend not to eat before a run as I'm always hungry afterwards anyway! I seem to get a stitch if I do, so I try to time my runs for at least 90mins after a meal - or before the evening meal. I just make sure I'm well hydrated first - push-up ice lollies are good when it's a bit warm out. I suppose you'll need something when you start increasing your distance - I'm sure I've read somewhere that flapjacks are good (but don't quote me on that!)

Hi Minty - it's great you managed the 5 minute runs - I was struggling with the programme until then, and I think that's the point for me when it started to seem more achievable - I think my pain barrier is at about 5 minutes so anything after that is easier! image Our Blackie looks like your Minty (*disclaimer* I had absolutely nothing to do with his imaginative name, he was already called Blackie before I knew him!) - he just has a little white bit on his nose as well as the white bib. He looks like he needs a little bow-tie! 

Sounds like you have a busy few weeks coming up - I have my driving lessons on Thursdays too, so it might be best if we just shut down the whole country! image

Right early night tonight I  think - here's hoping the Garmin Fairy comes tomorrow! 

• Cheetah - we had to rename Minty as she was called Tina when we got her image! I hasten to add that Tina is a perfectly reasonable name for a human but not for a cat, in my opinion (she says, hoping that noone on this thread is called Tina - sometimes I forget that you all have real names!). Blackie is fine tho, but can't help but make me think of my Great Great Aunt who had a black cat that was called something similar to Blackie but hideously less PC and vastly more offensive. Unbelievable!image
  • Hi everyone,

Blondie - i was advised by a friend not to eat much at all before a run, so the most i'd take would be cereal bar 30mins before, and then have something better when i come in again. I suppose it also depends how far and long you intend running, but i'm too much of a newbie to be able to give proper advice on that.

Minty - well done on the run tonight - thats 20mins running/8 mins walking - you are well on the road for getting to 30mins, its coming together great for you. Sorry to hear about your sick mum-in-law - thats sad for him too that you can't be with him for support. Hopefully your parents will be able to come round to let you have some 'Minty' time - and of course when you've the kids tucked up in bed, you can get a wee gin + tonic and come and de-stress with us!! Oh, near forgot - you have mail...

Cheetah - yes, hes a Westie (called Toby). I saw most of you had pics up, and i thought i'd put my wee man on too. Very good run for you especially being sick. I seem to steady out at 10min miles, so your pace is similar to mine i'd say.

Norfolklass - 45mins is brilliant, well done!! I was out tonight (and the forest was getting a bit darker, so i did a 1 mile run, then some intervals of sprint 30secs, rest 30sec x8, and then ran another mile. Have to admit i was spooking myself thinking i could hear people in the hedges/bushes etc - now common sense should tell me its the birds and the rabbits, but I read too many crime thrillers, and i imagine all sorts, lol, still it helped me run quicker!!

Miffy, Iain, Tommy - hope all is well with you guys.

Happy running everyone imagexx