Now how is that

One thread about a London Marathon place lasted about 10 minutes but dozens of spam threads, which we report and complain about, get left?

What's that all about then?

Comments

• Curly45Curly45 ✭✭✭

Its cause I reported it image

I is lush innit image

Or more precisley because there are people in the office at the moment, but there arent when the spammers are in!

• I don't think it went quite the way the OP thought

• I reported a new spam thread earlier this morning and it was gone very quickly.....I guess peeps are back off holiday, so can deal with them image
  • WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    There are still about 20 threads from this morning by anlis lgter full of the usual crap.
  • Wilkie wrote (see)
    There are still about 20 threads from this morning by anlis lgter full of the usual crap.

Has anyone reported them?

That wasn't the person I reported. I reported a Chinese lady called Alice.

• E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

I guess it's a case of "right time"... I still find the spam rather annoying.

I thought that the London Marathon thread wasnt too bad. We kindly gave them feedback about their request for sponsors and informed them politely that they were breaking T&C. It could have been because the author requested to have it deleted?

• Damn, I miss an 'interesting' thread again!

I reported some of the anlis lgter threads... still there at the moment though.

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭

It wasn't that interesting JF, just the usual request for runners who can raise £3K.

I asked what the charity did about runners who failed to meet the target, and the OP PM'd me saying that she wanted to close the thread and not post any more - I guess she got her wish.

I reported anlis lgter this morning, and via the 'contact us' link since the mods all seem to have disappeared.

• I had a lady beggar come up to me last weekend and ask me for £10 for a really nice meal. Where did she want to go Carluccio's? What happened to 50p for a cup of tea?
  • E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭

Wilkie- this is what i wanted to post but the original thread was deleted too easily

Linky

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

I would think the OP would have asked for the thread to be deleted, whether or not you agree with any of the opinions for or against £3k for a London place, it was not reflecting well on the OP's charity and the very real and necessary work it must carry out.

How different from our hospice fundraisers who politely ask runners to do their best to raise an average of £1500 each across all the runners, organise bag packing and other activities, and have to turn away many hopeful runners each year as they can't get enough places.

• Here's a radical idea. Put all the places in the ballot and let the people who get the places decide if they want to raise money and for which charity. A much bigger percentage of the money goes to the charity. No bag packing, t-shirts, parties or managers. Wonder how many people are actually put off by the huge amounts that they asked to raise. I once raised a few hundred quid for a cancer charity. Every single penny was handed over.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭

Why do you assume that the money isn't going to the charity? And what's wrong with bag-packing? people volunteer they don't get paid for it.

That woman who started the thread, OK she's probably a bit naive trying to get £3k but she's probably on fuck all money doing full time hours for part  time pay if she is anything like the fundraisers I've met.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Volunteers still cost the charity money.  Maybe not in wages, but in expenses, facilities (unless they work from home) and training.  I started a small, local charity a while ago and we initially said that all the money was going to go to the cause.  Then reality struck and we had to pay rent, rates, expenses, VAT etc.

Most charities who provide charity places also provide support at London which isn't going to be completely free.  I don't have a huge problem with that as it all helps to promote the work of the charity, but in some cases I think the costs don't justify the return.

• So who is being naive to think people working for charities are on "fuck all money"? People running charities are earning 6 figure sums. No doubt to earn their salaries they are getting more agressive about making money move around to justify their wages.

• SuperCazSuperCaz ✭✭✭

Unfortunatly volunteers don't always have the right skills to run a business, which essentially is what a charity is.  That's when you need to employ someone who does have the skills, and you need to pay a competitive rate or you get monkeys.

I'm not comfortable with the idea of anyone in a charity earning six figure sums, but I guess that they have the same responsibilities as a director of a big company so should be paid similar.

Now whether directors of big companies are worth their money is another debate.

• According to this list there are 49 charities in the UK with a turnover of more than £100 million, and 692 with a turnover in excess of £10 million. They are seriously large businesses, and it's a huge amount of work to keep the donations rolling in when there is obviously so much competition for the money. You have to pay market rates for people to take on that level of responsibility as the number of people with those skills who'll do it cheap or for free for altruistic reasons are pretty low.
  • For what it's worth (prob not much) I used to work as a charity accountant (volunteering).

We had to pay for rent, rates etc. Then we have to pay for all the HR and safety and training and CRB checks that comes with volunteers and those paid little. We also had to pay someone to coordinate all those volunteers because it is tough to find someone willing to volunteer almost full time or take a cheap wage with the right skills and experience. So some of your charity money does go to big salaries.

However, you can always make a donation and have it written and bound that it can only be used for a particular area. I always write a legal document to have my donations specifically on research and not towards overheads and I let my sponsors know.

When I was at the charity we got sent a letter about London Marathon. We were asked if we'd like to handover 500 quid to pay for a place and we'd get a spot on their website blah blah blah. The more we paid, the more advertising we got. This is why London asks for high prices, to off-set what the charity have paid for the place. And the saddest thing is that if that runner tries their hardest and still falls short of the target, some charities will 'blacklist' them with the organisers and charge their credit cards what they have not managed'.  That, I think is very wrong and I do wish London organisers would make some attempt to let more people ballot and choose their charity.

Rant over, la la la...

• BOTF - I wish there was a like button *likes*
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)

So who is being naive to think people working for charities are on "fuck all money"? People running charities are earning 6 figure sums. No doubt to earn their salaries they are getting more agressive about making money move around to justify their wages.

Working for a Hospice  is not earning a six figure salary running a charity is it?   I know personally 3 local community fundraisers for our hospice. One is a volunteer. One is on minimum wage, and one works part time but puts in a lot of unpaid work because she wants to.

Your lame excuse is the same one trotted out by the people who won't give money to comic relief because the Africans spend it all on weapons.

And if the head of Macmillan, or any other charity that is so succesful in delivering its aims, is delivering the results, then they deserve whatever salary the trustees see fit to pay them.

• Agree with Bouncy Bunny's intelligent statement too.
  • I used to work in the head office of a charity (small but national sized) and the level of wastage and inefficiency was so sad to see.

Mainly because the head of PR was a nightmare. She insisted on having a water cooler machine when the tap water was perfectly fine. She demanded a palm pilot (this was yrs ago!) when it was twice as expensive as anything else. It's small stuff like this in each of their many offices that add up to money being wasted instead of spent on helping people.

And yes, she was on mega money.