Sub 3

Comments

• Happy Birthday for yesterday MtR. How's the mini-taper going? image

A good weekend's work by the sounds of it Gobi.

Looking forward to hearing about Dan A's rollercoaster.

I had to abandon today's run after 5 miles because my latest niggle (glute) was starting to hurt. Oh dear... Well at least for the first time in months there's no doubt about what I need to do now. So I can get my August stats in early. image

Miles: 260
    Miles at or faster than MP: 1
    Long runs: 3 (20, 21, 24)
    Races: 0
    Niggles: lots
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

DanA - I have my reading glasses ready !

FR - you were doing so well too.

MtR - ha ha, good job jools has a diary ! What sort of shape do you think you are in for a 1/2 mara.

I'm off work this week (again), so still havnt had much lido time, managed to bag a swim just now, which didnt go particularly well and I left one of my big toenails in the pool ! thats the 5th (and last ?) from this yrs VLM damage. I think that 5 is a PB !

• CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

Impressive bike/race sandwich Gobi -- I have not got any lighter over holidays, either :- ( (maybe I should take bathroom scales with me next time to scare myself as I go along).

Yes please Dan A, we want to hear it!

I'm a bit ill but did a low-key run yesterday to keep the legs turning over.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    UTMB (intro)

OK, first a bit of context. The Ultra Trail is pretty well established as the world championship of ultra running, on a course that is brutally difficult. Normally 166km with over 9,600 metres of elevation, in France, Italy & Switzerland around the Mont Blanc range. Basically running from sea-level to a km above the summit of Everest and back down over the distance of 105 miles on tough technical trails. Despite having increasingly difficult qualifying criteria to even enter, finish rates are rarely above 50%.

This year was my 5th year in a row; I completed it against all odds on the first go in 2007 in 35 hours, and what started as a fascination turned into a passion, and eventually an obsession. In ’08 I became ill and had to drop out early. In ’09 I made it to 110km but dropped again through total exhaustion. Last year, the race was cancelled after 31km due to atrocious weather, but restarted the next day over a reduced distance of 98km; I managed to finish but still felt short-changed at the reduction in the race course versus the training I’d put in. It might sound a bit extreme, but this year felt like the combination of 4 years of almost daily preparation. Dare I suggest a comparison to how nervous an Olympian feels.

So the main aim was just to finish this year. I had an idea of the sort of time and position I might be capable of. Lots of other pressure this year to do well. I had a few friends doing either the UTMB or one of the other two races that weekend, and most had come over with other friends and family. Plus I had Jen for support as well as my bro, his missus and kid; and as a bonus, my mum who is sadly very ill made the trip over to see me run (probably for the last time), and I wanted to put in a run that would make her proud.

My mate (sub 3h guy who’d I’d run the MdS twice with) managed to complete his 120km race before mine started, in 28 hrs. It was the hardest thing he’d ever done, but was an inspirational performance and set the bar high for the weekend.

But disaster loomed for our race on Friday morning as weather reports for the region were looking bad, and the UTMB race start was postponed by 5 hours until 23:30. Surely not a repeat of last year? Then we heard that the course was being changed due to some parts being inaccessible. It would be even longer (170km) with more climbing. Starting a race so late was not ideal, especially having been wide awake since about 6am, and with the rain starting early evening, we were soaked to the skin and cold by the time 2,366 runners began to line up at the start line. But that’s the mountains, and it’s the same for everyone. It was going to be an adventure, and I for one couldn’t wait to get going. Thousands cheers us off despite the conditions, and everything was fine.

Part 1 to follow...
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Blimey this could take a while, I need to find the results as although I want to read the report. I also just want to know the results.

Track for me this morning 3 x 8 x 200 off 30 seconds and 10 mins between sets, rep 8 of each set was maximal.

Much pain and with one run left this month it is safe to say my biggest month post injury by some margin.
  • CharlieWCharlieW ✭✭✭

We're on tenterhooks, Dan...!

Just taken delivery of some ASICS Piranha SP3s. I've only done the customary run up and down a carpeted corridor at work so far (so they're unblemished if I need to sent them back, which I won't), but I am already intrigued and excited: they are supposed to weigh 138g each, yet have a noticeable squidge of padding under the forefoot, where I have tended to sustain damage in races in some of my other race shoes, especially as they've become worn out. Maybe these will be The Ones... still a bit ill though, so I won't give them a serious test for a few days yet.

• Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Wow, loads of activity since last I checked in. Looking forward to the remainder of Dan A’s epic narrative – well done for creating a proper cliffhanger opening…

Hope the weekend went well for Padams.

Some great training from everyone (I’ll confess to being a bit intimidated by all the reports of ultras, fell running and cycling TTs). Good news re Wardi’s hamstring and really good luck to Joolska and those running in Bristol (I was going to but thought that 2 weeks before Berlin was pushing it a tiny bit). Intrigued to hear how the Pirhanha SP3s work out for you Charlie W – have flat feet so I’ve never really considered racing shoes (use Gel Kayanos). How on earth can they be that light?!

I really appreciate all your encouragement – particularly from those like LS21 and Clearly who’ve re-emerged and taken the time to catch up with my training. A much needed confidence boost and reassurance as I don’t really get the chance to talk about my running to anyone. As for continuing to run after Berlin, again thanks Filthyrich and it’s great to hear that some of you think I have some potential. The fitness improvements from the 2 ½ months’ training are starting to show, which is certainly gratifying so I’m inclined to agree that it would be a shame to stop. I reckon I’m more likely to focus on 10ks and half marathons though – work’s likely to get heavier for the next 6 months at least, I’m going to be moving flat and it just eats up so much time to train at the level I have been (peak weeks of 70-75m).

Thanks too for the pacing advice. Although I might not be in such good shape for a long time, as it will be my first marathon I think you’re right and it will be safer not to risk totally blowing up by being too ambitious but also to allow a bit of leeway for unknowables like stomach trouble (sometimes get it, sometimes don’t – maddening how there’s no apparent pattern…) I think I’ll try to go out at 6:39/6:40 (i.e. 2:55 pace) and see how I feel for the last 6 miles. Slightly quicker than the “MP” I’ve been practicing thus far but built in 7m at around that pace (actually 6:36) to my 14m MLR this morning and seemed manageable (if noticeably tougher than even just 5 seconds/mile quicker).

Have my final LR this Saturday before the 3 week taper. Planning to do 22m. Schedule (P&D) doesn’t call for a MP segment but I’m tempted to try to do at least the second half at the new 6:40 MP as a final confidence booster. Do you think this is too much considering I’ve already 2 heavyish days this week (Mon was 10m recovery; Tues was 11m w/ 5 x 1.2km VO2max reps in 4:04, 4:02, 3:56, 4:00 and 3:59, albeit on a slightly downhill route; and today was 14m MLR w/ 4.3m @ 7:28 followed by 7m @ 6:36 and then a cool down for the rest)? Really don’t want to overdo things at this point as have been having minor knee issues (pain at top of tibia on inside right knee – doesn’t stop me running (though I am aware of it) and doesn’t match descriptions of runner’s knee so might just have twisted something – any other ideas?). As I’m about to start tapering, though, I feel one final hard long run effort might just be worth it…

Looking forward to more of DanA’s adventures.

Cheers

Lev
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    patience Gobi (with dan's report), you wouldnt read the last page of  a book without reading the rest.....
  • MtRMtR ✭✭✭

Although I saw some 'research' online last week that said that knowing the ending didn't spoil readers' enjoyment of the story:

Having said that, I am really looking forward to the next installment

• GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    TR - I am quite happy to watch a movie when I know the ending

Did you see Titanic ? The boat always sinks

I just like numbers
  • selbsselbs ✭✭✭

Lev - personally i wouldn't try to do 11 at 6:40's in your final long run.  if you can do that -seriously on the day you are way iunderestimating what your MP is in my opinion.  If you really want to then maybe try and chuck in a few of the last miles (2-3) at 6:40's.  The marathon paced sections of your medium paced runs, and your tempo/faster running during the week is more than enough fast stuff.  DONT risk breaking yourself now!

Come on DanA!!

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I've drunk the cup of tea I had waiting for instalment 2.  I've got a fresh cup now, so let's see if part 2 comes before my earl grey is gone!
  • yes Dan A come on get to it....

Lev - As Selbs says really. You are in cracking shape, there is more damage you can do by doing more training now than by doing less. Just get to Berlin healthy and you're in for a cracking debut.

• Lev - what others have said, don't push your luck.

Can't wait for Dan A's next chapter.

Some great training going on, esp. impressed by Gobi and his early morning reps.

TR - Looking in great shape mate.

LS21 - Great win.

Looks like age is catching up with MTR, image

I spent last week in Scotland inbetween running up mountains I did a 10K TT, 33.27, which I was somewhat amazed at. August is looking like my second biggest month of running so will ease back for a few days as I have a couple of niggles and don't want to ruin the second coming of the Downton Smackdown image

• coroniumcoronium ✭✭✭
    ....it's like waiting for the new Harry Potter to come out
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    I don't have 9 years !!!!!!!!
  • I see Dan's following tradition by taking longer with his report than he took during the race. image

Lev, as others have said if you can knock out a 35 min solo 10k training run you have pace a'plenty for sub 3.  I'd be happy with that in a race, let alone training, but everyone's different.  Your biggest risk is going too quick early on - it seems like easy time in the bank but you'll be overdrawn on that account later on if you do.  The Berlin start is on a nice wide dual carriageway and it's easy to get carried away, I'd be tempted to suggest starting further back and letting the crowds hold you back for the first few km, you'll reap the benefits later on.

You seem like a bloke who likes his numbers.  GPSs can be temperamental in city marathons and of course Berlin has km rather than mile markers.  You probably want to be around 4:00 to 4:10 per km, maybe look for the first 5km in 21 mins or so to start with. 

• Come on Dan A, we're all on tenterhooks. I'm wondering what will take longer, running 105 miles up mountains or writing the report. image

Lev - I think your question's been answered... You need to change your mindset for the taper - the hard work is done. Your focus now is getting to the start line fresh and uninjured. IMHO a good rule of thumb in taper time would be if you're unsure which session to do then you should go for the easier option. Alberto Salazar gives the example of the 1984 Olympic marathon, where his training hadn't been going well and he tried to catch up during the taper. By contrast Carlos Lopes got hit by a car and was only able to do a little light jogging in the last week before the race. Guess who won.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I'm hoping it will be better written than Harry Potter...  Earl Grey is finished, and I'm onto Ginger & Lemon.

• I see Dan is doing his race report in real time.

Lev - Hi, I think I was on hols when you joined the fred.  CD's advice is spot on, and if its marked in km I would race in km, convert all your targets to kms ( and change your garmin).  And, as a final sobering thought, look at some of the +ve splits posted at VLM this spring.  Without counting runners, I suspect its not far off a majority of runners who go through halfway in about 1:28 dont sub 3. 

Anyway I 'raced' at the weekend.  I was doing the short (16m) route of an LDWA challenge and Mrs Drifter was going to do the 26m route.  After a bit of discussion I agreed to run the first part of the race with Mrs D, until the route split point. As it turned out we were leading the race after about the first mile, so we got there in the lead. She changed her mind to do the short route (turned out to be 17.6m) so we ran together to the finish.  I had a fairly easy run to finish in 2:51, joint 1st, and a 'win' by 24 mins.
  • TmapTmap ✭✭✭

While Dan's clearing his throat:

Serious training resumes for me, helped by discovering quite a spacious changing/shower room at my new workplace.  Have been sticking to 2/3-mile runs with the dog which aren't really cutting it.

• C'mon Dan, get it written...

Drifter: Shame I didn't see you on sat, but not that surprising as you only did the fun run...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Gobi - ha ha, agreed. I dont watch movies though, its a waste of ~2hrs !

SL - top 10K, great stuff. Its a bit early to start tapering for the thread 1/2 mara championships yet though.

Drifter - top work, a "joint" win. Not one of those hand holding affairs I hope !

After playing catch up with 3 hard days I had to ease back today as I had a stuffed up head and felt carp, so 25 easier than usual bike miles for me.

• UTMB (part2)

So with weather reports for the region were looking bad, and the UTMB race start being postponed by 5 hours until 23:30, and with the course was being changed due to some parts being inaccessible with it being even longer (170km) with more climbing and having been wide awake since about 6am, and with the rain starting early evening, and being soaked to the skin. I decided to go to the pub for a good session with my mate and not bother running it at all.

Part 3 ten pints in a Fench pub coming soon.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That Dalek looks familiar...
  • I'm officially tapering now so I have loads more time to waste.  Lucky, as I've been hitting F5 since this morning waiting for DanA to post something but at this rate I might have to go for my 3rd run of the day...

In the "km" marathons, I prefer to have my Garmin showing pace in miles and I just lap the kms as they come.  Might seem confusing but I get so used to running miles that seeing 5:05 means more to me than seeing 3:09 when target pace is say 5:09/3:12.  If I saw the 3:09 I don't think I wouldn't tell myself to settle it down a little as it doesn't seem too fast. 

The other thing I do is write lots of splits on my hand so I don't waste energy doing too much mental arithmetic.  8km/5M intervals are good markers to know where you're at on either scale and even in "mile" marathons we all know our 5km times etc.

Still doing a bit, as were youimage

• MtRMtR ✭✭✭

The family are equally amused by my diary incompetence. I was very happy that I'd scheduled a meeting in Bristol for Friday, so could do that, see my mum and then run the half marathon all in one trip.

As it is, I am able to do another event. So this Sunday I'll be swimming in the local reservoir:

http://bluemile.wwf.org.uk/

Shockingly expensive (but then it's a fundraiser), but it's the only chance I'll get to swim in the reservoir that I run round most weeks.

• Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭
    Thanks as ever for all your advice - I'm incredibly pleased I stopped my lurking and decided to post up here. Such a help. I'll try to be more disciplined and remember that I've done the work over the last few months. The Salazar story is a useful one to have at the back of my mind. Once I get on to the taper next week I imagine I'll find it quite frustrating... Any other useful hints and tips for tapering gratefully received. Does the P+D schedule strike any of you as on the heavy side? (week ending w/ 2 weeks to go: 55-57m incl 10k tune up and 17m LR; week ending 1 week to go: 43m; race week 28m + marathon)

Really looking forward to installment 3 of DanA's epic tale.
  • GobiGobi ✭✭✭
    Bloody hell I really thought I would come back to a report !!!!!!

Here are my stats for the last month

My favourite is this one

SWIM - ZERO !!!!!! :¬)

Run - 47:48:19 376.26
    Bike - 13:26:10 242.64
    Weights - 3:22:00
    Grand Total - 64:36
    Rest days - NONE
    Running Races - 5
    Best 5km was a 17.07 (No wins)
    2nd place overall in a 10km which was 1st OLD BLOKE
    Bike Time trials - 6

Busy month and very happy with the standard of my cycling considering how little I am riding now