Muddyfox bikes

hi, does anyone have a Muddyfox bike?

Comments

• They are crap don't even consider one.
  • imageimageThanks for the reply Orange.

I doubt ill find a decent one for the amount im happy to spend, but I keep looking image I thought that one of them looked ok, but couldnt find any reviews online.

ETA can you tell me why this one is not good?   ty image

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-swift-road-bike-933025

• No current muddy fox is worth it. Retail at £300 and sone how they get sold for £99! this because they are worth £99! Grip shift changers that are shire full stop. £100 more and 2nd hand is much better option.

Muddy fox of today has FUCKALL to do with muddy fox of old(god rest OLD Muddy fox!)
  • ShivaShiva ✭✭✭
    So true, my first MTB was a muddy fox and it was superb. Now they are just crap.
  • Lottie you do not seem to know what you want on the other thread you were after a MTB thats a road bike what is your maximum budget and what type of bike do you want? absolute minimum for a reasonable Half decent starter bike if you shop around the clearance stuff is around £350 there is a good article here

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-swift-road-bike-933025

If you are after an MTB and are around 5'2 to 5'8 one of these in 14" or 16" may do

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/28786/Saracen_Mantra_X27_Bike_2010

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-grace-5-ladies-2011/

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/28769/Saracen_Mantra_Pro_Bike_2010 

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/hardrock-2011-mountain-bike-ec024187

or Road bike

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/36385/Giant_Defy_4_Compact_Double_Bike_2011

most importantly make sure that you get a size that fits you  

• thanks for the replies, ridgebackmax, is your first link incorrect? image

I do not want a MTB, but i currently only own a MTB, which is why i asked about it on the other thread. I would like a new bike, not a MTB, but a road or hybrid. It doesnt have to last forever (If I decide to do more cycling ill probabily upgrade in a yr or two) 

I was hoping to spend around £200-250 at most tbh, and doubt that id find a secondhand good one in the area, as i live in the middle of nowhere in mid Wales and dont drive image

I wish this was simple and you could just order one thats for your height and does what you want according to the label!image

• Some good suggestions above all decent makes. You should be able to an entry level very basic decent make as suggested Giant, Specialized, Felt etc for £250 somewhere. At least none of them will fall apart on the first ride and may probably be worth maintaining for a couple of years to see what direction your pedalling takes you.
  • Is the Trek 7.1 FX Hybrid bike any good?

• The reason for my question was because I went to my local bike shop and they suggested the Trek 7.1 so I  am picking it up on Saturday!!!! Tahnks forall your help, I hope that I have done the right thing, as even though it was on sale, it was still over budget.
  • its got two wheels and looks OK image enjoy your bike!
  • I'm a relative novice when it comes to triathlon completeing my first one two weeks ago on a mountain bike but should'nt the op be recomended on getting a proper road bike rather than a hybrid?
  • So Muddy Fox are rubbish now?

Thats not right is it....image

• Some people feel very uncomfortable on a road bike, hence the popularity of hybrids. Road bikes are quite scary for someone who hasn't done much riding. For a beginner hybrids are a good choice and unless someone is seriously interested in getting on the podium it's personal choice what they choose to ride. Also a beginner wants to buy a bike that they can ride regardless of whether they decide to carry on with Tri's or racing.
  • Wot O5 said on her limited budget shes got a reasonable bike from a decent brand for day to day commuting stuff, training and Ok to use for tri when you are starting out win win image
  • that Trek is a damn sight better than anything else lottie looked at - good purchase with your limited budget so enjoy and we'll see you next year asking for advice on £1K road bikes... image

O5 - I see that Orange are launching a carbon road bike at the Eurobike show. that's an interesting departure for the brand.....looks nice as well. Orange carbO
  • Thanks for the replies, my brother (whos 12) was impressed that im getting a Trek bike image Cant wait to pick it up, and no I wont be looking at £1k road bikes, not this decade anyway! Will I find the Trek faster than my MTB?

Do you think that  I should now look at clipless pedals etc.? I like the sound of them, but what sort of price would it cost to get set up with them?

• fat buddha wrote (see
     O5 - I see that Orange are launching a carbon road bike at the Eurobike show. that's an interesting departure for the brand.....looks nice as well. Orange carbO
    Didn't know about that. Bought myself a new Spesh a few months ago but couldn't afford carbon anyway. Well what I meant was I wouldn't spend that much on a darkside bike image
    They have done road bikes before probably about 10 years ago and that died a death. Obviously they are having another crack at it, not sure why really.
  • Lottie - the Trek does look like a good buy image
  • O5 - I seem to remember the Orange road bike from many years ago but it died a death at about the time the company as a whole were starting to go backwards. they've turned matters around of late so perhaps it's the right time for them to dip back into the market. the explosion of the road bike market as a whole is probably persuading them - I get the feeling the MTB market is a little saturated now from a volume perspective (loads of interesting developments still but at the nichier end of the market, not the volume market) so road/tri/fixie/cross market offers more business oportunities
  • So if, and this is only IF,  I was thinking about getting a new bike, which I would want to be able to use off-road, but also be comfortable for road use, what sort of thing should I be looking for?

And how much would I need to spend for a decent one?

• I think you're slowly being converted to the darkside Wilks.......it seeps through the ether of this forum and ingrains itself into runners... image

simply - a hybrid and £500
  • Only a 'proper' mountain bike is suitable for off-road, not a Halfrauds special.

It depends what you mean by 'off-road' do you just mean down the odd canal towpath on fire-roads in a forest or do you mean you'll go to a mountain bike centre and try some of the way marked routes?

If it's just the odd pootle down a canal towpath then a hybrid will do. Anything more you want a mountain bike. Obviously you can use a mountain bike on road but it would slow you down immensely even with slicks on if you wanted to race with it.

What does happen is people buy what they think is a suitable bike for off-road then realise that it's crap and end up spending even more money as they realise very quickly the bike is holding them up. Think carefully about what you want it for.

• fat buddha wrote (see)
    O5 - I seem to remember the Orange road bike from many years ago but it died a death at about the time the company as a whole were starting to go backwards. they've turned matters around of late so perhaps it's the right time for them to dip back into the market. the explosion of the road bike market as a whole is probably persuading them - I get the feeling the MTB market is a little saturated now from a volume perspective (loads of interesting developments still but at the nichier end of the market, not the volume market) so road/tri/fixie/cross market offers more business oportunities
    Yes I think it is saturated and the bike companies mass producing bikes of good quality are damaging the smaller comapnies. But if I was buying a road bike honestly I'd be a bit dubious buying it off a MTB company.  Looks pretty though image

I need a new Five next though mine is battered and tired now.
  • *ignores FB*

The off-road I'm talking about can be pretty rough surface - loose stones, big lumpy hard things, very uneven surfaces, hills on loose surfaces.  Also mud.

My poor old body seems to not want to run much any more, not without hurting anyway, and I was looking for an alternative form of exercise.

I have a really heavy old crap mountain bike, and while it's OK, I know something lighter would be better.  It doesn't even have quick release wheels.

In any case, it's got a flat tyre, so clearly needs replacing!

• A Tri Cross could also be a good option?  Mine doubles up nicely as my winter training bike  image
  • You're speaking in tongues Meldy - what is a Tri Cross?  Is that a make, or a variety?
  • Wilkie wrote (see)

*ignores FB*

The off-road I'm talking about can be pretty rough surface - loose stones, big lumpy hard things, very uneven surfaces, hills on loose surfaces.  Also mud.

My poor old body seems to not want to run much any more, not without hurting anyway, and I was looking for an alternative form of exercise.

I have a really heavy old crap mountain bike, and while it's OK, I know something lighter would be better.  It doesn't even have quick release wheels.

In any case, it's got a flat tyre, so clearly needs replacing!

I use to run in my 20's and it hurt my back so I packed in running for probably about 15 years and took up mountain biking. I ride with loads of injured runners. If you have been into trail/fell running you will probably love mountain biking. It is by far my favourite sport. If you live near somewhere that is good for off-road, I would hire a decent bike and maybe do a mountain bike course. That may sway you into getting a decent bike or it may put you off but either way it will make your mind up for you.

I think the suggestion of a cross-bike is OK for a bit of off-road but it is really hard  on the body due to zero suspension. I think you need some decent bike skills to enjoy proper off-roading on a cross bike. The stuff I do you couldn't do on one of those.

• I'm with O5 on the need for a proper MTB if you're going to get onto the tougher stuff - a tri-x just wouldn't cut the mustard and having some suspension and big fat tyres makes a big difference. sure a tri-x would do on some off-road stuff but once the mud starts flying and the rocks and tree roots are coming at you at a fair lick, then you need a decent MTB

wilks - a tri-x or cross bike is basically the same as a road bike but more suited for some off road. it's sort of halfway between a road bike and hybrid so you'll get wider tyres than a road version, better mud clearance around the brakes and stays to stop them clogging up, better brakes than standard road ones (some have discs now) and just slightly more robust all round. you could argue that it's a hybrid on steroids
  • Hmmmmm, sounds interesting.

I guess I'm going to have to visit a bike shop!

• Like the others I wouldn't get a cross bike unless you fancy racing cross.     O5s advice is spot on - think very carefully about what you want to use the bike for and then choose the bike - there is no such thing as a do everything bike. 

There's so much variety in cycling and it's not all competitive.   Have you thought about trying out the local CTC or cycling club and see if they have some nice steady group rides - from there there is a whole world of audax - it's not racing but the long distance events are as much of a challenge as you could want but there are loads of shorter 100k and 200k events as well - dirt cheap too.