GREAT NORTH RUN- THREAD AVAILABLE

I've started a thread about the Great North Run, but now I'm not able to think of anything interesting to say on it.

I could ask to have it deleted, but it's yours for the reasonable rate of £125 a day. I'm not a chancer advertising by the back door (as it were) and I'm not making any money out of this, honest. image

Comments

• £125 a day?  Sounds very reasonable! image

But couldn't I just start my own thread, for free? image

• I'll offer £150 but only if you take some cheap designer gear off my Chinese cousin !
  • Well, of course, threads like this are very popular and demand far outstrips supply; if you postpone sorting out your thread 'til the last minute, there won't be any available and you'll be left with nowhere to comment on race weekend.

In an unrelated scheme, for a very reasonable £40, I'm starting a scheme which will give you priority in the GNR Thread ballot for the next three years*

* additional charges for actually starting the thread apply

• Am I too late to start posting on a thread for GNR? I'm 41 and usually run twice a month in hob-nailed boots and get pain in my elbow. I'm worried that if I start posting on a GNR thread that I won't be able to fini ....
  • I'll throw in a few handbags...
  • For £125 a day would  you give me a special vest to wear whilst typing and would I get a free massage once the thread is finishedimage
  • I was tempted by the spam and handbags, but I think Seren is top bid so far image
  • if I take your thread will I need to get accomodation or are you laying on free buses to the thread ?
  • Ooh yeah, you'll need accommodation; there are some free unicycles available, but those who paid £30 to enter the pre-priority advance entry unicycle VIP club pre-ballot ballot will get first refusal, obviously. It's only fair...

BDB, you'll be fine to enter; whatever you do, remember that all training plans start with a rest day, you should be tapering by now and strengthen that elbow by lifting full pint glasses from now til the race.

• Will there be transport to Silverstone included if I bid £45?
  • I don't think the organisers allow you to transfer threads.
  • That's unfair! Don't they realise that some of us have to leave our thread bidding / entry until the very last minute - and often till after the Close Date? What are they thinking of?
  • but can I post in the thread under someone elses login if I promise not to tell ?
  • DLDL ✭✭✭
    Why don't you join my charity GNR thread instead ?? - it won't cost you anything. You just need to convince 73 of your closest friends to sponsor you a minimum of £27.29 and spend every weekend holding bake sales, raffles and tombolas. In return I'll allow you access to my 'gold bond thread' and I'll send you a bland corporate thank you for providing me with employment whilst sending 57 pence of the total to needy children/dogs/elderly people/third world countries. I'm actually hoping to link a number of these charity threads together and thereby get into the Guinness Book of Records too - would you be willing to dress up as a pantomime character whilst posting?
  • DL..........what is the current record for linked threads.................I'm sure if we got enough linked threads in one place we can entertain all those threads that will be blocked behind us in the forum.that should please themimage
  • can I wear my iPod in your thread as to be honest I've only ever read threads when listening to music so not sure I'd be able to read a whole thread without my music?

• Bruce, are you planning to read the thread in one go, or will you adopt the read/rest strategy?

• Bruce - no!!!!! I once heard someone say that they were told by someone that they read somewhere that someone once said that someone was reading a thread wearing an iPob, completely oblivious to the fact that their wife wanted to get onto the computer to play bingo.  It took a tap on the shoulder to get them to look up.  Imagine if the wife had have been going into labour?  It would have delayed getting into the car by a couple of seconds and had absolutely no effect on the outcome.  Do you want that on your conscience?  Do you?
  • Oh come on!  It's a well known fact that all GNR threads are produced in the same factory in the Shanghai Fengpu Industrial Park.  I can pick one up for £5.69 a day from www.chineseforumthreads.com.
  • I've been listening to my iPod while I read threads and now I've got earache. I think I'm going to complain to RW Towers, because they should have put a warning at the top of the threads.
  • You wear an ipod at your own risk! Just ensure that you don't get in the way of the poster that's trying to pass you because you posted to early and have now got nothing to say.
  • As a fast thread reader myself obviously I have no time for slower readers or those reading for charity.  Is there a 'Good for Age' entry to the thread so I can bypass all the no-hopers who really shouldn't be clogging up my threads with their 'enjoyment is what counts, I don't care how long it takes me' attitude?
  • I'm a very slow reader, but I will try my hardest to read without stopping for a kit-kat break after 3 posts. 

I have in the past used the read 1 post, nibble, read 1 post, nibble, plan, and it did work.  It took me less time overall to read the whole thread than other threads where I've started reading without breaks, and ended up having to scoff from post 10 all the way to the end.

Will there be plenty of Portaloos at the start of the thread.  I always get a bit nervous.

• I think that if you are going to do 'Read Breaks', they should be done with regularity, otherwise if you just stop reading wily nilly, it is very difficult to get reading again.

Will there be Pace Readers as well? I panic without a Pace Reader as I am no good at pacing myself and tend to rush off too early. This is okay in a small-ish thread, say 2or 3 pages, but when you are getting to the longer ones, 10+ pages, I blow up towards the end.

I also think that people should get in the right pens at the start of the thread; there is nothing worse than slow readers in the fast pen and vice versa.

• I think that if you are going to do 'Read Breaks', they should be done with regularity, otherwise if you just stop reading wily nilly, it is very difficult to get reading again.

Will there be Pace Readers as well? I panic without a Pace Reader as I am no good at pacing myself and tend to rush off too early. This is okay in a small-ish thread, say 2or 3 pages, but when you are getting to the longer ones, 10+ pages, I blow up towards the end.

I also think that people should get in the right pens at the start of the thread; there is nothing worse than slow readers in the fast pen and vice versa.

• How do I convince non- readers that there are other threads apart from London?
  • Is there a medal or T-shirt at the end of the thread
  • How long is this thread?

Is it the same as a VLM thread?

• No, VLM threads are the longest and hardest to get into; there's often a 'five rejections of your post and you're in' rule, though I gather this is being waived as it's too complicated to moderate. There are other threads about marathons, but they tend to be much slower, not as long and have fewer comedy centipedes.

Anyway, there can be twice as many posters in the GNR thread, even if it's only half the length.

Min, personally, I can read for hours without stopping, though I'm a bit slow; others apparently read really fast, throw up on finishing then go for a lie down.

• Last year I sponsored someone at work for posting on a VLM thread, only to discover that they kept stopping due to writer's cramp and dehydration.

I thought this was taking the piss a bit, but I still coughed up when they explained they would have to remortgage their house and sell a kidney if they didn't collect everybody's 25p. 

I'm reassured that the GNR thread is only half the length, but I'll still think twice before getting conned again.