Talk to me about GPS

Hello people. Amateur park and pavement lumberer here. Can now manage 5k without feeling like I'm going to need air lifting back home. Getting bored with running mapped out runs. Want to set off and keep going until I have to lie down/wheeze/pass out and see how ar I've gone.

Looking for a little piece of gadgetry that will know where I've run and how long it took and perhaps upload that to a map online and tell me things about hills etc. I think I'm looking for a GPS device a watch or a little thing to clip on my laces? I dont know. I don't like the idea of running with my Iphone and I dont always carry my Ipod nano so I guess that the Nike + whatsit out of the way.

Give me some ideas you lovely people - I dont really have a budget at the minute - what options are out there?

Comments

• With no budget you don't have any options do you?
  • If you can afford a bit extra about £100 gets you a brand new Garmin 305.

Otherwise it's worth jumping on ebay where you can pick up a second hand one for £40-50.

If that's too much then you'll have to forego GPS, get yourself a decent stopwatch with split functionality and map your routes out on mapmyrun.com

On the map memorise the mile markers and hit your split button. Then keep a training log with your times.

• +1 for Garmin 305.  None of these things are cheap really but if you can find the cash a 305 will give you everything you've lsited.  Avoid the 405s though.  They may have improved since their initial release but early models were strewn with glitches.  Personally I don't think I'd be able to read the screen on a 405 either but my eyes are guffed, which is why I like the screen split function on the 305 - it means I can make my target screen big enough for me to read it! I've had mine around 4 years now and still love it.

• Sorry - of course I do have a budget - but didn't want to disregard anything on price at the minute. I hope thats cleared that up.

I'll take a look at the 305. Thanks.

• Crazy Diamond  wrote (see)

Avoid the 405s though.  They may have improved since their initial release but early models were strewn with glitches.  Personally I don't think I'd be able to read the screen on a 405 either but my eyes are guffed, which is why I like the screen split function on the 305

On the other hand, I've just bought my second 405 to replace the one I've had for 3 years which recently died (RIP image). 

I think that fundamentally if you can stretch a budget to a garmin they are probably (?) the things to go for - so just a matter of deciding which one is for you.
  • Ive just bought my first GPS, and ran for the first time last night with it...I really wanted one just for pace, so bought a Forerunner 205 for £87.00 on Amazon.

Charged it up, went for a run, and was surprised just how simple it was to get all the info you listed above with a click of the mouse....as my workout automatically downloaded itself back to my pc when i plugged the 205 in !

Not sure what else the 305 adds apart from a heart rate monitor ??? But the 205 gives me everything i need, Pace, Altitude, maps my run, calories burned, + i can set goals and training zones around any of these things !

If you dont need the heart rate id suggest go for a 205 first, and see how you get along with it for a while !
  • ebay mate is the way forward with limited funds, anything garmin will suit you just fine
  • The 305 is huge, just to warn you. Why not just get a waist pouch and use your iphone - it's out of sight, and the budget is around £10. See if you get anything out of using gps. Another gadget is just something else to make sure you have charged. The only reason I can see to get a garmin (or other) is the added HRM function. But if you dont use it properly, its pointless.
    Just my 2p
  • Diffcult to see your pace, distance and time on a phone in your pocket though.

305 is huge if you are a Borrower

• Sorry kicked-it, I'll remember to be made in the image of a 'real man' in my next incarnation.. I've seen smaller speedbumps.
    OP says they want to map routes after finishing them, and look at pace etc later. Phone in pouch would be fine for this no?
  • I'd choose Eagle for my next incarnation, or one of those monkeys in Japan that live in the snowy mountiains but just sit around in hot springs all day and the locals bring them food  - that looks pretty good to me.

• pmo, poster says they don't want to take their iphone with them?

garmin is the way to go, wether 205 , 305 or something else sub £100.

I bought a 201 ages ago and makes such difference to knowing what you are doing, have done.

• i was worried about size after someone mentioned it right after i bought my 205...However, despite its largeness, which isnt that bad actually for me, it wasnt uncomfortable or even noticeable once running. I could see that for Ladies in particular it could be a tad large.
  • fit-running-cat wrote (see)

pmo, poster says they don't want to take their iphone with them?

The op also doesnt say why though, so maybe if we can quell his reasons he can save some money.

I carry my Iphone (only for music and emergency phone use) in an elasticated SIS pouch around my waist, cost less than £10 from Tesco, I also put the phone inside a small disposable freezer bag to protect against sweat or rain.

There are apps for the Iphone (including lots of free ones) that will give speed, pace, distance through the headphones at pre determined intervals and then produce a map at the end of the run.

• Yes I know all that. I use a phone too sometimes. They are good but not as accurate especially in forests.

Worth remembering some events don't allow you to wear headphones.
  • I'm happy with my Garmin 110; it gives me the simple stats and tells me where I have been. The only disadvantage is that the pacing is restricted to time checks at quarter miles - unless someone can tell me how to do it more frequently
  • No. Think that was the one flaw with the 110, actual pace isn't available

Still pretty good

205 & 305 are bargains at the moment
  • Papa Tumps wrote (see)
     The only disadvantage is that the pacing is restricted to time checks at quarter miles - unless someone can tell me how to do it more frequently

Actuall pace is pretty useless as it fluctuates too much to make it usefull without having a footpod.

Is the pace on a 110 not set to 'average pace per lap'? if so can you not just press the lap button when you want a pace reading and then look at the watch after about 5 seconds or so? this will then give you a fairly accurate reading. Thats how I use my 305 if for example I want a pace reading going up a hill or for a certain section of a route, press the lap button, let the pace reading settle for a few seconds and I have my actuall pace.