Barcelona Marathon 2012

Comments

• Im in the ballot for VLM but if I dont get a spot Id love to do this. I've never been to Barcelona and would absolutely love to go! The route sounds lovely - taking in all the big tourist sights.... 

• Im in the ballot for VLM... I did it last year for charity and I have no idea why I went for the ballot again as I dont really want to do London now. I hope I wont get in image
  • I'm in as well. I am also in the balot for VLM. we'll see. maybe 2 marathons in 2 months)))

• Will be nice to see if this thread gets a bit more attention now that rejections for VLM are out image
  • Barcelona is fantastic.  But I was only there 2 years ago.

Any other good marathons people recommend?

• I'll be making my mind up between Barca or roma for Spring 2012. I'd like to do them both, just deciding the details. Having run Paris 3x before i can recommend that to you jdw, although they are now on the final tranche of 10,000 applicants, so don't hang around if you are interested.
  • Dead Sea from Amman to the Dead Sea is a good one. The first 25 km are downhill, the rest flat. And from very cold to pretty damned hot. Great scenery.
  • Hey guys, Awesome to see that you are interested in the Barcelona Marathon, I'm currently getting a group together to run it next March! We currently have 10 people signed-up and we are fundraising for a charity called Childreach International, an international development charity that improves the health, education and protection of children in the developing world. An information booklet can be found at http://www.childreach.org.uk/images/marathon/barcelona-marathon.pdfThe charity has teamed up with Running Crazy so that all the accommodation, flights, race entry and airport transfers are included in the minimum fundraising target of £1250 and half for the money you raise will be spent directly on charitable expenditure. (Anything raised above will also go directly on improving the lives of children in the developing world as well!)  I think the best part of this is you not only get to run a fantastic marathon but also explore Barcelona and could just fit it into your work schedule as it happens over the weekend from Friday 23rd to Monday 26th March 2012. Not to mention running for a great cause!    If anyone is interested in joining us please let me know at ashley.farrell@childreach.org.uk  To give you some background of myself I am studying an MA at SOAS in London and currently work part-time for the charity. I would also be fundraising alongside you guys and co-ordinate everything on the ground.  Any questions at just let me know but would be great if you would like to join our team!  Best wishes,  Ashley  
  • just signed up for this.

Still got a sore toe after doing the liverpool marathon and only done a few runs the last month, hamstring is a bit funny. So my training plan is take it easy (8 milers till christmas) then post new year give up the booze and run far fast!
  • I have registered,  12 of us going !!  I put a post to get any tips however not many replies.  I am going Sat to Wed.  

Tammy

• I have signed up to the Barcelona Marathon with Childreach International ^^ see above. So excited! Started training this week but going to be more focused next week. So far I'm looking at sub 4.30 but who knows, I may surprise myself!
  • I've just registered for Barcelona, which will be marathon number 3 for me (Berlin '10 and Liverpool '11 were my others). image
  • Who are you all booked with. looking at crazy running now.  did you register yourselves or go through travel company

• Just booked flights with KLM.  Sorting it al solo.
  • Hi Barcelona runners, I've decided to sign up, caving in to pressure from my housemate who signed up months ago...

So I make it 16 weeks this Sunday, time to choose a schedule, any recommendations? I ran 3:21 in Berlin in my first marathon in September so hoping to beat that, although I'm well aware that Berlin is probably a faster marathon...

• All signed up for Barca 2012! Been out from running for a 3-4 months with plantar fasciitis, but the last three weeks have been pain free so hopefully that bodes well. Did 3:41 in Prague this year so hoping to go near 3:30.

Flights booked with BA; nice hotel booked too. Making a long weekend of it (Fri/Mon). Anyone run it before? I assume the registration will be at the Expo on Saturday?
  • I`m In !!!!!

I ran (well hobbled and winced) it last year...But injury beat me (I only just managed to crawl over the line .... Knee surgery was needed just after!.

So this year... I`ve got a grudge to bear !!

Yes Alex .... You pick up your Race number, Chip and nice goodie bag with T'shirt at the expo Friday or Saturday. Which is at the Start, so its a good time to recce for your morning journey.

I really enjoyed the atmosphere of this one last year (even through the pain!) it was busy, but nowhere near as crowded as London, so you can actually set off at your pace and not be dodging in and out of people for the first 3/4 miles.

I`m looking for a CHEAP hotel for Saturday night, If anyone has any recommendations. I`m on my own this year... Mrs Spud is staying home with the nippers.

Now just got to get rid of this bloody cold !!
  • BeddersBedders ✭✭✭

Signed up for this back in October and (with the exception of ONE confirmation email) haven't heard a peep from them since. Thought there may have been some updates or similar, anyone reciving stuff from them? Not sure if it's just me....

• Bedders....

Don`t Worry...this happened to me before last years Barcelona Marathon ...I as concerned at the lack of contact.
    I believe I received an email shortly before the race, and on turning up at the Expo to pick up my number and chip I produced a print out of the confirmation and my passport for ID ...and was away.

All I can say is although not as slick and professional in the run up, the race day experience was every bit as outstanding and enjoyable as the London marathon set up.

The website has ALL the details you need to know.

relax and enjoy your training
  • Just registered for this today.  Lookingforward to it but hopefully it won't be too warm.   Does anyone have any idea how far the start/finish is from Las Ramblas?  Is it walking distance?

• Registered for this back last summer at some point and still have not heard anything!!

Steve it looks like the start (and finish) is around 2.5km from Las Ramblas.

Does anyone have any decent intel on how fast the course is?  I signed up for it because of the time of year (as far prefer winter training) but have really struggled to find any info on hills/cover/wind etc.  Am also a bit concerned about the heat - there must be a reason for an 8:30 start!

• Guys

Regarding the heat ...

While obviously it is going to be warmer than the UK.
    Last year the heat was quite bearable, I believe the highest it got to was 19c.
    A lot of the course is run between quite tall buildings so there is lots of shade. There is one section that was along the seafront, which as quite warm but nothing that was a worry.

The course is quite quick there are a couple of gentle slopes up and down. There are a few switch backs, wind shouldn`t be a problem as its quite built up along the majority of the course. (the website has a virtual route I think!)

I have to say I really enjoyed last year(despite the injury and the pain !)

The underground service is superb and you can get to the start/finish from just about anywhere in the city in 20/30 mins tops.

hope that helps some !
  • Excellent update Spud - always good to get some prior info
  • No worries glad to be of some help ...

Now I Just need to find somewhere to stay on Saturday night.. If anyone can help me with that, I`d be very grateful.

• Hi everyone,
    Don't know if you can help but my friend is running the Barcelona marathon this year and it's her first marathon! I run but it's just to keep fit a few times a week nothing like that. She is doing it to raise money for a foundation she supports. Not only is it her first but she is doing it alone. She lives in surrey and I was just wondering who might be going and if there is anyone near where she lives? I think she could really do with some support from other runners- you guys must appreciate that. If anyone is going and would be willing to give her some guidance could you let me know? I'm on twitter @fudgeburnz if anyone could spare the time.
    I've been reading your messages and just thought you all seem so supportive and experienced.
    Thanks
    Nik
  • Hi Nik,

Where about in Surrey does your friend live? I'm in the Carshalton area and also doing Barcelona - struggling a bit with motivation (especially when it comes to doing the long weekend runs!) so if your friend would like some support or even would be keen to do some runs together it would be fun. Nothing better than being surrounded by fellow runners image

Anna

• Hi Anna
    She lives in Horsham. You sound like your both in the same predicament! I think she'd like that. Even if you just kept in touch I think its always nice to know someone else doing it. She also visits a friend in epsom often so not far. If you want to give me some contact details I will pass to her.
    Thanks for the response.