Options

Ironman Wales 2011

Comments

• Options
    Oh Seren. I feel your disappointment, reading that. But you're right - your body's done a lot this summer so at least one (sort of) positive thing is that you've learnt something about your body that will stand you in good stead for all your future adventures.

And if anyone could have completed the run, it's you!
  • Options
    Was great to see you at end Seren. You did your best, you can not ask for more. Good for you for coming out to support.
  • Options
    Seren .. bad luck .. I feel for you
  • Options
    And great effort Barley. Sounds like it just wasn't to be yesterday. Fancy a little BallBuster actio in November? (that sounds a bit obscene).
  • Options
    Trogs. wrote (see)

Well done Pirates, think IMW wil be added to my evergrowing list of races not to do image

Hope the campers haven't spent the night holding down their tents!

+1 !  You'll not catch me attempting this....I know my limits, lol!!!

Very, very well done to everyone for taking part on what was obviously an extremely tough course, and day.  Seren, what a fantastic report, and so sorry you didn't get to do the run.  Just shows how hard the course was that you and Barlos didn't make it to the end.  Considering what you've achieved already this year, I hope the disappointment doesn't overshadow the successes image  Well done all!

Artful Hen wrote (see)
    And great effort Barley. Sounds like it just wasn't to be yesterday. Fancy a little BallBuster actio in November? (that sounds a bit obscene).
    LOL LOL LOL!!!  What you and Barlos do in your spare time is nobodies business Henny image  Hehehehe
  • Options
    To all pirates, a massive well done whatever the outcome, horrendous conditions, hope to see you back down here next year.
    Batman
  • Options
    Hi everyone, I hope you don't mind me posting on here. A group of us girls from work decided to volunteer for running a feed station at IM in Tenby yesterday. We were running the last feed station on the bike course. We hadn't realised what an emotional experience it would be, we felt so proud to be part of the atmosphere and felt huge admiration for every athlete out there. I wanted, on behalf of all of us, to say a huge thank you for being such lovely people. It was clear that everyone was finding it really tough going and yet almost everybody managed to gasp a 'thank-you' to us as we made our best effort to hand them whatever refreshments they needed. I know it doesn't sound much but, to see that everyone involved yesterday could manage to be so polite and show such gratitude when under immense pressure was truly humbling. I hope you have all had a great time here in Pembrokeshire and that you will be returning next year, hopefully I will be able to make it again too, to make sure you get your bananas!! image Congratulations to all who took part xxx
  • Options
    Christine, what a lovely post!
  • Options

Go Pirates!

That was fun. The definition of "Fun" is officially extended to include any and all of:

- cheering wildly at Piratey people doing an awesome job on a horrendous course in horrendous conditions
    - combining endurance supporting with Altantic swimming in the face of a force 8 wind (aka supporting at the finish chute!)
    - being amused by Hope's son's excellent one-liners in support of random competitors (first prize probably going to "Dont worry, this hill gets flatter at the top" !!)
    - Accidental support of anyone Spanish
    - Piratey bike shop fixing on the fly by bassy
    - Piratey finish chute aerobics, aka the poor chap who got tripped up by the camera man
    - Being asked more times than I can remember "Where are you guys from?"
    - Cake. More Cake. A bit more Cake.
    - "Go Baby!"
    - FatBuddha's finish line pint.
    - Being asked by Garr if we happen to have a phone number for Garr's Mate Nige. (Surprisingly, no. I wonder who is more likely to?)
    - That really cute guy from Argentina
    - Pirates being officially The Best Thing Since The Invention of the Cafetiere.

Go Pirates!

I might go and snooze.....

• Options
    I too want to say a big thank you to everyone yesterday. I was out supporting in Tenby the Lamphey on the bike course, then back into Tenby for the run.

I had my camera out and was taking lots of pics (I'm going to put them up on flicker to allow everyone access to download them, will let everyone on here know when I've done it) and my hubby was supporting with the aid of a cow bell image and EVERYONE on the bike said 'thank you'. I just can't believe the athletes were thanking us for supporting them - that is beyond words!!

Whether you finished or not a massive well done to you. It was truely inspirational just to be a part of the day.
  • Options
    Bah. German Frank did not finish. Boo hiss. What was that about the war...?
  • Options

GARR:

Had a great day yesterday.  I don't there is much to add to what has already been said.

The text I sent that didn't mean a lot was supposed to be preceded by saying that Bassy was doing an oarsome job of mending bikes on Wiseman's Bridge hill, and that when one guy had a knackered chain, and another had a knackered derailleuer putting them both out of the race, he at least managed to put the good chain on the other bike to get one person back in the race!  All under scrutiny of an official, so all kosha.  Top work that man.

Unbelieveable the number of people that managed to 'AHAAAARRRRRRRR!!!' on WmB, or even try to engage us in some banter.

I don't know about the other supporters, but I really felt it was the foreign Johnnies that got the biggest shock on the bike course.  I don't think they realised there were big hills in Wales.  It's not like Wales has reknowned mountain ranges, but the bike times show how hard it was.

Sorry the updates died out.  WmB had naff all signal, so phones strained their batteries and died very quickly, then Tenby had virtually no signal either.

The weather... oh my word!

6am: Sunny and a bit breezy.

Morning:  Windy!

Afternoon:  Windy, overcast, and one shower of rain like God threw a bucket out of the window.

Evening:  Wet.  Very very wet.  Oh, and windy.

The finish:  I don't think I had seen rain that was TRUELY horizontal until this.  Due to the gale blowing up the enormous cliff beside the finish, the rain couldn't go down, but went sideways instead.

Really sorry for anyone who finished late with little or possibly no support.  It was merely weather conditions that stopped us hanging around.  We were shivering, and we weren't in lycra, so I do sympathise.

Last night:  Meldy, you're right about the weather.  I had serious concerns the tent was going to take off at time.  Hope decided to sleep in the car around 3am.  Putting the tent down during that was... interesting!

I took a load of photos (as many of you know) and tried to get plenty of random, and not so random, pirates.  I'll post a link to them once they are online, which could be within a couple of hours if Shannon can do it as soon as she gets in.

Many thanks to all supporters, and even more to the competitors for making the effort to acknowledge us, and more, when they saw us.

Garr
    (Considering IMWales 2012)

• Options
    Im considering IM Wales 2012 aswell,

Would be good to get a loads of us there to support (ill deff go if im not racing and dates dont clash with other stuff). 

I should have also added to my report about the number of locals supporting on the bike course, I was quite surprised and it was great to see.  Just imagine what it will be like as the race grows and gets under the local communities skin.

Go Wales image
  • Options
    Anyone have any insider gossip on what date next year's will be??
  • Options
    Sounds a bliddy hard race this one.  Congratulations to those of you who got through it and hugs to Seren and Barley.  Great supporting you lot. image
  • Options
    Well done everybody, gutted for Rosey & the rolldown, but it's a tough AG (I know, I missed Kona as well in that AG Rosey! image )

Great to see pirate spirit really coming to the fore in adversity in challenging conditions. Sounds a hell of a race, will have to think hard about never ever doing it, but other fish to fry before then though.

Great to see a couple of marshalls/spectators popping in. Re us thanking you (and its the same everywhere in Ironman I think, not just in Wales) but the competitors REALLY appreciate support. Until you've raced, and have been given a boost by someone who doesn't know you from Adam who could be being sensible and warm elsewhere, calling your name, or shouting well done, or clapping, or volunteering, you won't know how big a life it gives. Thank you.

• Options
    +1 re the supporting comments of Gladys....................the support of the marshalls and supporters was brillinatimage
  • Options
    What WAS good fun was supporting USA competitors. After hitting them with our best "awesome" "good jawb" "Go USA" etc Schmunks hit them with the now patent applied for "Have a nice day y'all" just as they got to the worst part of the worst climb on the course.

Quality.
  • Options

Hello you lovely lot!!

I've just read back. Thank you for all your support. There were times out there when it was hard going and reminding myself of the support both on the course and virtual helped me keep going.

So sorry for Alan and Seren, but how amazing to see you out supporting and smiling at us later. Thanks so much.

I'll do a proper report once I can think straight!

Had a message from 8iron, the swim distance was spot on 2.4 miles and the 1000m transition dash was knocked off the run.

What a day!!

Christine, thanks for  your post. The volunteers were AMAZING, so cheery and encouraging and lots giving the Pirates a special mention. To keep so bright and smiley in such horrible weather isn't easy so thank you to you all!! The Pirate Ship of Fools WILL be back. I'm sure of that!!

As for me, well... my eyelashes don't hurt. image

• Options
    Nice to see some reports rolling in even if they dont have the right endings  image

Christina, lovely post thank you ... that shows the right reputation for a Pirate gathering  image

Seren, sometimes there just isnt a reason and it just doesnt happen, you are a strong old bird and will bounce back i'm sure, keep head & heart together and the double will be a good 'un

Barlos ... recover well and bounce back Gaylord  image

Glad the supporters had a good time as well, hope the rest of the crew are not running round kiln park after stray tents !!
  • Options
    Hello image Just to say thanks for your help and advice these last 6 months or so.  I finished in 15.30 and was piss wet through when I finshed, only just started to warm up!  I wasnt one of the pirates crew yesterday but if I do the race again next year I'll apply and see if I can get through your vigorous selection procedure image  Told lots of my mates who have done Lanza before how tough Wales was, they seem to think Lanza is the hardest IM to do, I've told them to give Wales ago image  Gutted for those who didnt manage to finish, my back brake broke (cable snapped) after 3 hours so I spent the next 5 hours worrying as I went downhill but luckily enough I made it.  Anyway, you're all great, I was in the help for heroes cycle top and then a football kit for the run.  All the best.image
  • Options
    and it was sunny and windy on the bike so I was right saying that you needed to pack the suncream..................so whoever promised to give me a piggy back on the run course was lucky I DNF'dimage
  • Options

Huge congratulations to everyone - not the best conditions for a long day of racing, but the reward is extra big bragging rights!

• Options

Flyaway, my son really does have Pirate potential doesn't he lol!

He can't get his head around armwarmers, he kept calling them arm gloves! image

• Options

hey guys, thanks for all the support especially in terms of the guys who were just supporting and not competing- I wasn't in a pirate top but was shouting "go pirates" every time I passed one (I was in an illuminous green tri- suit with blood pouring from me from where I came off on the bike at the bottom of a big hill near Narbeth and was bandaged up on the elbow and had massive cuts!) I also had a few good motivational chats with FB on each lap of the run which was cool and spoke to his wife in T2 and at the end.

I completed the IM UK in 2010 and that was a tough bike and I completed the etape in France this year and that was incredibly tough but I still wasn't prepared for the bike ride- Most people I was speaking to were saying that was by far the hardest IM they had done- I think IM Wales is going to be the one that people want to challenge themselves to.

Really inspirational to stay to watch the last guys come in and the last pirate (well done slag!)- Can't believe there was an old guy who finished who I saw as I was finishing my run and thought there was no way he was going to make it, but did with half hour to spare. And the amazing 61 year old who completed his 126th Ironman- Mental.

Just really, really disappointed I couldn't stay for drinks tonight and meet up properly! I'm definitely going to get myself a pirate tri- suit and enter the Outlaw though!

• Options
    seren nos - I owe you a piggy back image
  • Options
    . Well Hope...He giggled quite a lot when I broke wind.... boy humour innit.
  • Options

He thinks your ace Bassy!!

• Options
    Obviously an intelligent young man.... he had far too much sugar though. He was like a whirling dervish at one point...

Reminds me of the cyclist with about 25 gels on a belt round his waist. I asked him if he had enough.... "Im saving them for the run" says he. Right.... so why are you carting them over 112 miles of hills first then?
  • Options

Lol. Guess who forgot all her bike nutrition for the 3rd loop then?? It's not like I didn't spend enough time in T1!!

I'll be seeing YOU at Christmas young man! image