Options

Cheap and cheerful GPS?

Is anyone using one of these keymaze 300 units from Decathlon? If so, how do you find it? Does it lock on to satellites well, and what sort of features does it have (I guess not many for the price)

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/keymaze-kalenji-300-id_8091473.html

I have a Garmin 405 at the moment, but after 2 1/2 hyears te battery is on it;s last legs, barely lasting an hour, despite attempts to condition it by discharging and recharging.

Garmin want 80-odd quid to replace the battery, which sounds like a bit of a mickey-take, I'm reluctant to put new-405 sort of money their way again on a new one.

Neil

Comments

• Options
    hmm, i think i;d just get a 305 personally, i prefer that over the 405 tbh, and its only about £15/20 more than the thing you linked to. and its going to be much more usable i think, especially as a previous garmin runner , all your courses, virtual training partner etc will transfer over.
  • Options

I suspect that the Decathlon thingy is just an old Garmin model (101 or 201?) rebadged so you would just be putting money back to Garmin.

£80 does sound steep and I would expect the battery to have lasted longer than that.  Have a Google or a search on YouTube and see if you could change it yourself.

• Options

Yep, I had a think about the DIY approach and there is a battery that look to be the correct one for a fiver on ebay, so I've ordered that and I'll post a note here if I manage to change it without terminating my 405 image

Backup plan is to buy an armband for the phone, I've been using that on the pushbike as it makes for nice big speedometer, but the runkeeper app is a bit sluggish on my wildfire and I've never been overly keen on the armband things.

• Options

If you have a phone with GPS on it, you could always just use an app like Endomondo, and you'd get the tracking for free...

Though I admit I do worry about whether the sweat is ever likely to damage my phone!

regards,

/alan

• Options

I've had the Keymaze Kalenji 300 now for about 3 years and it's always been brilliant.  It's pretty straightforward to download the info to file and it used to be easy to view the elevation profile for the route.  However, since I was asked to download the latest Geonaute software the other week, I've completely lost the elevation facility.  The route management aspects of the software like zooming is so slow.  Finally the Geonaute website is poop too.  To be honest, the wrist watch is great, but that's about it.  Sack the softare developers and give the money to the wrist watch team.

D

• Options

Could check out Ultrasport Navrun 500