Apperley Quarter Marathon

Comments

• Well done Andy thats a fantastic acheivement

Rowan it will never always suit everyone but its there for people to have ago and it seems there is alot of good feed back and word of moith will get morr people there next year.
  • I'll definitely spread the word, and will be back next year. 

Rowan, I'm sure you've thought about the pros and cons a lot more than I have, but I have to admit it almost put me off that it was a 1/4 rather than a 10k - if there was a local 10k in the same timeframe I would have done that instead.  But of course there are probably folks who think the exact opposite, so as the commentator from eurosport is so fond of saying 'make of that what you will' image 

HTH,

D

• That shows how the Brain tricks you in the wording of an event doesnt it ? 10km = 6.2 Miles, quarter of a marathon 6.5.05 barely anything in it but 10km when Reading it seems less doesnt it , so i can see what your saying there Dave people look and see 10km and go thats not far , but they read Quarter of marathon and there like no way thats far
  • For me it was because I wanted to clock a 10k pb, but yeah, though that works the other way too - I expect some people like it cos it feels more substantial, and it's a bit unique. I dunno, I only mention it in trying to help, I don't want to come off like I'm trying to tell you your business Rowan.
  • I think it is a very good point cause when i spoke to people previous to it you said Quarter Marathon and you got the are you mad i dont mind a 10KM run, so i do think its a good point , Although it is a Unique name as you say , with the word Marathon in some people see it as more of an Achievement when you look at it that way round .

Did you manage a PB though Dave if you worked it out , what time was you after ?

• I wasn't particularly well so was happy to come ahead of my target for the race of under an hour (58:48).  5k and 10k were both a few seconds behind my PBs for those distances according to my watch - 5k because I still had over 5k to go (obv!), and 10k.. well my 10k pb was on the flat image  Thanks for asking image  How did you get on?  And well done Andrew image
  • Im still waiting on official times on my watch i came in at around 42 Mins which i was quite happy about but my watch may have been out . Thanks for asking
  • Wow 42 mins! I can only dream of that. I'll try to give you a race next year image
  • Cheers dave and yeh no worries will have race, i ran on my own as dont really know anyone, so it was a case of get it done.
  • andrew - that is a brilliant run given your troubles.

quartermarathon or 10 k - my mum first set this up about 30 years ago and quarter marathon was something totally different then and we were still in miles when I was a kid - can't remember 10 k races then! It does help differentiate our race from others and easier to market (www.quartermarathon.co.uk was available!!!!) WOM is the key to the run growing - if we can get to 300 that would be brilliant. 

42 minutes is really, really good! I would have clapped you into ground! You must have been top 5 just behind the older guy (i have been told he was 67!) Next year - ask around for Phil Wiseman (local lad and cricketer) who did 43 minutes and came about 8th and sure he will run with you! You beat Pat Sanderson easily!

anoy thoughts on doing a team event? we used to do it many years ago as groups of 4 but not sure if that is common or worthwhile!

• we have to look at possibilities of chipping as well - cost and do runners really want it.
  • company that was giving us numbers let us down with 5 days to go so had to get sticky labels quickly without testing (safety pins were available!) - will be sorted next year!!!
  • chipping £1,000 + so not going to happen unless we have a very generous sponsor!

• How are all the expenses split is it councils for part rdrd closureand stuuff like that or possible greater advertisement needed?
  • 2nd year in - advertising had many roadside adverts around Tewkesbury and surrounding area but can always do more,emailed all local running clubs, visited many local 10  k races to hand out fliers - we had 25% more runners in second year - if we keep increasing by 25% I will be happy!

Think we provide something different with cross country and river and church and hope will grow organically over the years by WOM. Normally the Echo/ Citizen help with coverage (got in centre pages last year!) would like to try some online advertising but can not afford to!!!

We advise community police and they are happy for road to be closed for start - luckily we have quiet lanes! Medical cover is the biggest single cost but we have to have it!  There are numerous £50-70 costs that also mount up.

• I suppose it is all the little costs that no one realises that are always the ones that sneak up on you, with things as they get closer i could see if the company i work for Enterprise Managed Services who cover utilities and waste and many other things , i could always ask to see if they would sponsor the event as they do like to get behind events as big companies and do my wife also works for a big company and both cover all surrounding areas , if something went out new on RW next year to attract people to read and when we could get more involved and get local people to distibute amongst there work places .

Just a thought i only moved to the area in July but thought it was a good run and enjoyed it and my wife has said that she would do it next year to

• I know you also thought that you may have lost a few because of the HM the week before, but i did the Beast in Leicester the week before and still could not wait to do this run , but with word of mouth it will get bigger bit by bit
  • we put on Lashings World XI this year at the club (I am now exhausted!) and we got a fair amount of sponsors for that event (enough to cover marquee hire) and have been looking for sponsorship for the quarter marathon (mainly to cover the cost of ambulance and medical workers!) on and off during the summer.

I think we would be maxed out at around 350 people running - funnily enough we did our review today and sponsorship and maybe a course change came up (maybe avoiding the big hill near the end!)

• The big hill is good its part of it and lots straight said they would be back, you got the the downhill you got to get back up the hill
  • My wife told me about the veteran gentleman who stomped us all.. gives me hope that there's still time!

Rowan - numbers - I've made a mental note to bring pins with me from now on, newbie mistake image  I didn't know they were available; fancy tee material is a bit gluephobic I bet.

Removing the hill - I dunno, gives the run some character - not that it's lacking it - but imagine if all races were totally flat, would be a bit boring.

• he was 67 - and this is now a "hot thread" - thought he had got lost when first saw him running in last k ... he must have been a hell of a runner when he was younger.
  • one option include much more running around Deerhurst (missing the big downhill early on) but including the hill back up into Apperley but sure will stay where we are as don't want to change web-site!
  • Rowan, no idea how to get messages to people on this site, well it doesn't seem to allow it on the iPhone. However, my company does RFID equipment, so providing chip technology might be possible. You, or whoever I registered at the event online, should have my email contact details.
  • That sounds like a good idea Andy.

Also my Htc phone is the same you can reply to Forum messages but you cant go to Personal Message and send one .

That 67 year old he came past me about half way in as if he had just popped to the shop for a paper haha , i shook is hand after to say well done , i hope im still like that when im older

• you can e-mail me rowanleeke at hotmail.co.uk.

if we can get chipping it would be really good!

the 67 year old is a legend - going to start training for next year's race today!

• I was going to go out tonight but then remembered ive got a trip to Tewkesbury dentist this afternoon for an Extraction so the only place i shall be running is away from there haha
  • we put on Lashings World XI this year at the club (I am now exhausted!) and we got a fair amount of sponsors for that event (enough to cover marquee hire) and have been looking for sponsorship for the quarter marathon (mainly to cover the cost of ambulance and medical workers!) on and off during the summer.

I think we would be maxed out at around 350 people running - funnily enough we did our review today and sponsorship and maybe a course change came up (maybe avoiding the big hill near the end!)

• Little tip for folks having trouble with websites being limited on Android phones.  The mobile versions of websites are usually rubbish (though RW is comparatively good, just missing a few useful features like 'quote' etc.) - anyway, in your Android browser, type the folloing as the url: "about: debug" (with no space - the space is just there to avoid RW replacing colon-D with a smiley!) and 'go' there.  Nothing will aparently happen.  Next, bring up the browser's menu, touch 'more' then 'settings'.  You'll have more options than usual.  Go to 'UAString' (UA stands for useragent) and set it to 'desktop'.  Now web servers won't know you're on a phone and will serve you the full uninhibited versions of their websites image  Unfortunately, it's not a sticky setting so you'll have to repeat the trick regularly.  Obviously, don't blame me if by accessing hidden features on your phone something happens to go wrong with it - it's your phone and your fingers image
  • you can e-mail me rowanleeke at hotmail.co.uk.

if we can get chipping it would be really good!

the 67 year old is a legend - going to start training for next year's race today!

• He certainly is a legend .

Cheers Dave i may give it ago and see what happens