Wrong result

This has never happened to me before. I ran a UKA licenced race on Sunday and ran a season's best, but when the results were published my name didn't appear anywhere on the list. It was as if I'd never run the race at all. I've emailed the race director who promised to 'look into it'. I've heard nothing since. Can anyone advise me what my options are should this not be resolved soon?

Comments

• Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

was it a chip based race, where your chip failed to register?

Did you finish and walk down the finishing line correctly?

Do you remember the people in front and behind? Any chance they've put the wrong name against your time?

Other than that...sounds annoying..hope they sort it.

• No, it wasn't a chip based race (unfortunately). I think someone finished immediately behind me, but I'm not sure. There was no one directly in front of me. I walked down the funnel and collected my medal and suchlike. It looks like someone else has been given my time, but that could be the chap who finished immediately behind me. It's all very annoying, but the race director seems to be taking it all a bit too lightly. I suppose I wouldn't mind quite so much if I hadn't run a SB...
  • Quick Q. what race was it? I thought you were a friend of mine as he said the same thing to me this evening.
  • Imelda, the race was in Kent - I'm reluctant to name and shame them in case they do eventually sort it out. It's an incredibly frustrating experience from my point of view, but I also appreciate that races are generally organised by unpaid volunteers.
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭

that's the conundrum Paolini...sometimes you have to write it off to experience...but don't give up hope just yet...they must have records they can double check..

having had a hand in doing race results for a 5k race in the summer...all very low key indeed...i can tell you i'm sure most organisers price themselves on accuracy and keeping people happy.

i'm sure they'll do their best for you.

• It hapened to me once. I told the race director the time according to my watch, the club of the runner just in front and the runner I passed just before finishing. It was sorted out in a couple of days.
  • If the runner immediately behind you was given your time, that means all the subsequent times are promoted by one place. So where there are big gaps between runners in the field behind you, a runner might be credited with a time much quicker than they ran. If  any are club mates or you know them and can get evidence from them, it will add to your case.
  • Sounds encouraging then, thanks chaps. I've also passed on all the info I could remember, so I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed.
  • Couple of thoughts

Was there anybody taking and subsequently selling race photos?  Could provide useful evidence both that you were there and where somebody wearing your number should have appeared in the results.

Are you perhaps being a little impatient?  The race was on Sunday - you presumably emailed the RD on Sunday night/Monday which means he probably picked it up among dozens of others on Monday.  He's then, as an unpaid volunteer, gone back to his day job but contacted a few others who dealt with the results to get some information.  They are also probably back at work.  Is it really reasonable to expect a definitive answer by Tuesday night?  You don't know how many more 'errors' have been spotted or how many could be created by adding you into the results list.  I know its frustrating (and very easy for some uninvolved smartarse at the other end of the country to say) but please give the RD a chance to do his job properly.  The important thing, surely, is the satisfaction you get from knowing that you ran the time you did - does it really matter that you don't have a written record to prove it to somebody else?

• I tend to agree with CumbriaAndy - give them a chance.

Even if it were a polished, professional organisation I'd say give them a bit more time, but likely they are all volunteers and doing it on their own free time.

• I crossed the line at a recent race a few paces ahead of a lady runner, who seemed to be carrying a little more momentum than me and overtook me after the finish.

This meant she went down the tunnel in front of me and was subsequently given my time and promoted one place.

It doesnt make a blind bit of difference to anything or anyone.... but it irritates my OCD like a chafing waist band!

Of course, I should have politely pointed this out to her at the time, and re-taken my place in the tunnel, but that would have been staggeringly petty and obsessive... so i'll just quietly stew over it instead!image

• Probably stating the bleedin obvious here but I assume you've given them your race number? The people recording finishers at the tunnel should be able to look you up that way.
  • CumbriAndy – yes, there were a few photographers there so there should be photographic evidence, if the worst comes to the worst. I suppose I am being a little impatient. I wouldn’t usually be so anxious but I was actually running this race for charity and if any of my sponsors ask for proof I completed it I can’t provide it (other than my finisher’s medal, of course).

Wilkie – see above. But you’re right, of course.

Kicked-It – I know that OCD feeling all too well!

SophieC – yes, I’ve given them my number and any other info I could think off. I guess I just have to sit on my hands and wait now...
  • Stevie  GStevie G ✭✭✭✭
    Kicked-It wrote (see)

I crossed the line at a recent race a few paces ahead of a lady runner, who seemed to be carrying a little more momentum than me and overtook me after the finish.

This meant she went down the tunnel in front of me and was subsequently given my time and promoted one place.

It doesnt make a blind bit of difference to anything or anyone.... but it irritates my OCD like a chafing waist band!

Of course, I should have politely pointed this out to her at the time, and re-taken my place in the tunnel, but that would have been staggeringly petty and obsessive... so i'll just quietly stew over it instead!image

You sound generous...a lot would say that she cynically stole a position at the end...every organiser's pet hate!

I honestly can't imagine changing position at the end like that...the way I tend to annoy organisers is by being so weak and dizzy i can hardly move...meaning i get loads of "COME ON KEEP MOVING PLEASE".

• Do you gain anything from this?

Qualification for 2012?

Sorry but its a hobby, why get so het about it. Unpaid organisers have to work fecking silly amout of time just for the rest to race for upto a few hours. 

I have organised races before and the sh*t nitpicking that goes on, has made me stop doing the races. 

As above unless you have missed out on a once in a life time qualification like Kona, 2012, national champs. Get over it, gracefully accept mistakes happen and get on with it. 

• Jeez!

Its offended my OCD but I'm not planning on tracking down the girls home phone number and stalking her club!

Calm down Karen, and learn to quietly fume in a self righteous but dignified manner. image

• My husband love taking photos and this has come handy in the past with wrong finish times for me and friends.

The first time I run a sub 60 min 10k the was a medical emergency at the finish and lots of us go 5 to 10 mins added to our times. I was very upset at the time.

Hope you get on the results.