New Forest Marathon

Does anyone know whether this will close soon. Would hate to miss out but awaiting injuries to mend before committing.

Happy running

Comments

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

There are no messages on the web page to say it is full.

Recently heard the course has changed, anyone know much about this?

• Usually sells out 4 months in advance but places can normally be picked up by people dropping out with injuries etc.

IIRC they sometimes allow you to swap from the half to the full and vice versa.

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

I will be entering the marathon at the end of this month, loved the course last year and it is very unique.

Especially when you have to stop at one point because you are about to be mown down by some stampeding ponies on the road, and at another time to extract a couple of large stones wedged into the recess on the sole in both running shoes making me sound like a New Forest Pony.

Will be interesting if the course has changed although I would of thought the major part of it would follow the same route as last year.

Just had a look at the course and its exactly the same as last year with the exception that when we get to the Rising Sun Inn we turn right  instead of going straight on and do that part of the course the opposite way round to last year, everything else is the same.

• ah, but does doing it the opposite way round make it harder?  Some of it looks like a long old drag.  Too late for me, I'm already in image
  • Hog-mouseHog-mouse ✭✭✭
    Darkman wrote (see)

I will be entering the marathon at the end of this month, loved the course last year and it is very unique.

Especially when you have to stop at one point because you are about to be mown down by some stampeding ponies on the road, and at another time to extract a couple of large stones wedged into the recess on the sole in both running shoes making me sound like a New Forest Pony.

Will be interesting if the course has changed although I would of thought the major part of it would follow the same route as last year.

Just had a look at the course and its exactly the same as last year with the exception that when we get to the Rising Sun Inn we turn right  instead of going straight on and do that part of the course the opposite way round to last year, everything else is the same.

Most be a feature of the race - was exactly the same for me when I ran this.

Oh and no long old drag in this race. Is very scenic.

• OK, I'm in  image.  Looks like the entries are almost full.
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Right, I'm also in imageimageimageimageimage going to hone my lasso skills so I can catch a pony and hitch a lift.

I've heard they are wild, ....... well when I catch one and jump on board it will not only wild but livid.image

Hope to improve on my VLM time of 3hrs 27mins 28secs, I'm already cycling to work a distance of 15.82 miles as part of my training and as a build up for my first Tri next year.

• CheshercatCheshercat ✭✭✭

Due to the slight change in the route the last hill heading towards the finish is quite tough.  It used to be the first hill you ran down on the old route.   On a plus note though it is where the jelly babies are. 

• So are we all publishing our expectations?  Ah, what the heck, added motivation (or humiliation post race)!!  I'm hoping for a sub 3.30 - did my first 20 miler with an overall avg of 8mm at the weekend ... I started off too fast which is why I'm assuming my last mile was pantsimage.  If I reach my target I would like a different focus for next year so am also considering a tri... Darkman, which one are you doing?

I've never been sidelined by stampeding ponies so, to those of you who may be put off, it's not all hooves!! 

• This'll be my first marathon, I did the half last year and a few halves since. I can vouch for the scenery, I'm a member of the local running club and we do our training in the New Forest. it's a beautiful course. The reverse from last year and this is so that one of the villages in the Forest can reopen its roads just an hour into the race once all the runners have passed rather than stay closed for most of the day. The support from locals is great, Longslade Bottom is the steep undulating bit that everyone dreads but it's no easier if you run the route clockwise or anticlockwise. The hill at the end is going to be grim, last year it was the downhill bit just after the start, this year the uphill bit near the finish.

Enjoy! And please wave as you pass me!

• Looking forward to my first New Forest run, I wanted to enter last year but missed the boat! I ran the South Downs Marathon a few weeks ago, and there's nothing better than having great views and scenery to lift the spirits in those final miles. I know the New Forest will deliver on that!

I see the route is both on and off road, is this road shoe or trail shoe territory. See you on the day!

• Road shoe, the trail bit (just 3 miles) is compacted gravel with the odd puddle.
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

This race despite being classed as a multi-terrain race is mainly road with the exception on what was a railway line (so its stated and it looks like it could be) so you only need your normal road running shoes deffo not a trail shoe event. 
    The off-road bit has alot of large gravel parts much like railway ballast, the only drawback is possible stones wedging in your sole of your running shoe like what happened to me. That was when I wished I'd got a swiss army knife with one of those attachments to get stones out of horses hooves 'cos it took a bit of leverage to get 'em out.

I loved this course last year which is why I'm travelling down from Loughborough to run it this year, great scenery, great course, great support, great organisation and some super houses to ogle at along Bistern Close whilst you're passing by them. image

• Hi all. If anyone is pulling out due to injury etc. Could you please email me at mike_doyle1984@hotmail.co.uk .
  • First doing the this event.  On the website it dives the course profile and map but no info about drinks stations.

Have any of you folks done this before and of so whats the score with drinks stations,

Thanks

• DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Scarlet Pimpernel

If you look on the map the drinks stations are marked with a big D in a circle, this is also shown in the map legend.

I ran this last year and the weather was warm, sunny and dry but not too hot.  There were enough drinks stations for the course because unlike in the VLM which has one every mile you don't really need that many along a marathon course in September, if its really hot I'm sure the organisers will be savvy enough to add extras to enable everyone to cope with the conditions.

The only advice I can give is to be aware there could be wild horses encountered along the course because of where it is, I had to get out the way of one that decided to run down the road towards me and was determined he was owning ALL the road. Was quite worried I would be found lying on the ground with horseshoe marks all down my back by my fellow runners following behind me, would of been quite something to add to my running diary ........ 'today had a DNF in the New Forest Marathon due to horseplay'image.

• Be aware that, as it's in the New Forest, drinks will be served in cups. Bottles aren't permitted as the caps get "lost" and the wildlife eat them and get sick and the plastic cups are easier to spot and pick up by the cleaner uppers. If possible bung your empty cup in the rubbish sacks on the way round  or chuck in the direction of a marshall as you pass.

• Thanks for the information on the course. Now i am really concerned!!!
    Do not like the sound of that climb at the end. See you there.
  • Thanks for the advice guys.  Looking forward to the 25th!
  • Got my number ... I was exhausted just reading the course description image.  One more long run and it's time to taper, whoop whoop!
  • Got my number too! Thought i'd say hi to a small New forest mara forum!! Hoping for a 4 hr 10 time but have done 5 maras before so know what i'm up against! Will be wearing a red bandana so say hi if you see me - happy training see you on the 25th!
  • DarkmanDarkman ✭✭✭

Hi folks

Got my number today: 841 don't forget to wear your chip on the day, I forgot mine on a 20 mile race last year and didn't get an official time so be warned.

Congratulations to the race organisers as the race pack is excellent compared to last year even though the info sent last year was good.

There is plenty of parking in the field on the A337 (don't go to the Fawcetts Field Football Club) just follow the traffic as most at that time are converging to park for the race. Last year I got changed in the car and left my stuff there and walked to the start from the car as it was much easier.  Because of heavy rain in the week the exit in the corner of the field was too muddy so we all walked along the road, if its the same this year just follow the crowd and you won't get lost.

Looking forward to this year and hopefully will do a good time, good luck everyone.

• Welcome Sue!

21 miles in the bag yesterday and they felt good!!!  Just as I was hating my long runs this one was much easier.  Ah, the joys of isotonic drinks!  Now, will I be able to be disciplined enough to go out at MP and no faster???  I'm guessing not!image 

Enjoy the taper guys and I'll see you on the 25th!

• It's been 10 long years, but I'm back for revenge!

All sorts of problems besieged me on September 9th, 2001 (although no horse hazards funnily enough), but this time nothing will stand in my way...well, you’ve got to be positive eh!

Good luck to all and yes, enjoy your taper and that well-earned, final week of (at least comparative) rest!

Nb. Drink stations are only marked on the online map (well, at least they weren’t marked on the map I got with my race pack!) so here's the link: http://www.newforestmarathon.org.uk/Downloads/2011%20NFM&H%20Webmap%20A4.jpg

• Hi Guys

Well ................ !!!!!!

I'm really confused now, already had my race pack and number of 841 ages ago and ..............

on Saturday another race pack and number arrived of 1193 .............

can't remember entering twice  and the competitor list has me on the list with number 841 so ........

do I wear both chips one on each leg and both numbers or should I just wear one of them???

do I get someone to wear the second on their ankle and ride the course on a racing bike and cross over the finish line so I can claim the marathon world record. image

• Darkman:  How funny!!  Definitely one for the organisers methinks.  Check you bank statements image

Coxy, good luck for your revenge, I'm putting demons to rest from a rubbish run last year too!

• Sadly I am no longer able to use my full marathon place image

If anyone is looking for a place let me know asap. The organisers would prefer that the transfer is completed this week.
  • Limper: sorry to see you've pulled out, there's always next year.

FH: I've relented and regretably emailed the organisers see what they want me to do with the second number, now have images of the world record and first sub 2hr marathon slipping through my fingers. image

Coxy: good luck with your revenge, just wish I could have a proper taper week as I cycle to work every day which is a 16 mile journey each way and takes just over an hour. Thats 32 miles cycling daily but at least its not pounding the knee, ankle and hip joints.

• Yeah, I'm sorry to miss it Darkman. You could always buy my number and make it a hat-trick entry! Good luck with your run.
  • I had a dream that I didn't get the time I wanted so I went round another time image  Perhaps I should have an extra number just in case!!