Any Sports Massage Therapists here?

This could just be a bit of a mid-life crisis, who knows...  I really don't enjoy my job, I find it very tedious and dull and there's very little opportunity for me to do anything else within my company.  My company is also not that stable and the long-term prospects are not looking too brilliant. 

On the plus side, it's very good pay and very flexible.  As I'm a single parent this is obviously very important to me.

A couple of my friends at work have left recently and another is re-training for a complete career change which has got me thinking...

I've been looking online at courses and degrees and something along the lines of retraining as a physio appeals to me.  Problem is I can't afford to stop work to do a three-year degree full time.  Then I saw the courses for Sports Massage Therapists which can be done part-time. 

I'm now pondering whether I could do one of these courses part time, start a mobile practice part-time to build up a client base and then assuming I enjoy it, leave work and set up full time.

So, now over to the wise people of RW, anyone here a Sports Massage Therapist who could give me the inside knowledge on working hours, best training providers, ongoing costs etc?  Is it a very competitive area?  Would I be earning a decent living if I were full-time?

Any advice on alternatives also welcome.

Thanks.

Comments

• Hi GG - we train people in Remedial Massage and sports massage (we're in Northern Ireland so I'm not touting for business lol!) - I think one of the most difficult part is after training building up a reputation and therefore client base. We've found that our qualified students need to put in a lot of hours to start with (volunteer working with sports clubs, or dance studios etc, work evenings and weekends maybe). There is a very good living to be made as a good sports massage therapist can be in big demand (we're beating people off with a stick in our clinic - that's not therapy btw image )

Part time is probably the best way to start. Going solo is a good option as well as some clinics would charge a lot of money to hire out a room - but they might also recommend clients to you.

Running costs aren't all that bad...rent, advertising, insurance, professional association...creams/oils, bench, linen. I think it's the outlay for the training that would be the most expensive.

If you pm me I can send you details of a good college in England and professional association and a couple of insurance people.

• How do you know it's very good pay? I pay my physio £40 an hour, which isn't much at all when you factor in the cost of a building, equipment, a receptionist, and all that. Without the costs of the building, kit and support staff you'd still be looking at charging £40 an hour, 20% of which is lost straight away in tax, then you've got to get places, possibly get a new vehicle to carry your gear, and all that.

Do it. If you don't like your job, just do it. What's the absolute worst that could happen? What's the absolute best that could happen?
  • Do you already have a love of how the body works and how the muscles and tendons work.......

what  level is the course .level 3 or 4..............the level 4 is needed to understand how to deal with injuries..........

and then look at your area where you live..............

there are very few successful fulltime sports massage people and they are usually long standing............

you will have to be extremely good and really put yourself out to different areas to get a full time wage...........

remember sports massage people can not usually charge as much as physios...................physios are taught on how to indentify injuries. and how to exercise etc to recover.....sports massage just on how to deal with the injuries in the muscles when they diagnosed........you will only be taught about the muscle recovery not the ligaments etc unless you do extra courses............

so the good sports physio who then does sports massage is  in the best position and can charge the most. 

but if you have a real love for this subject and how it all works together and great people skills and the time and effort to put yourself out there then go for it..............unless you are in demand then the clients will want to come when it suits them...evening and weekends being the most called for..............

good luck

• Another thing to consider is that it is very physically demanding - you will feel physically drained at the end of a long working day (see I'm being positive and seeing you with a full appointments book!)

• I got the PM GFB, thanks.

Thanks also to all the others. On phone so can't reply fully, you've given me lots to think about. I'd love to just do it but its the financial risk that scares me. Two kids, dog & mortgage to worry about!

• Hi,
    You are searching for online courses of massage therapy. I found some websites which are providing an online courses for massage therapist. I remember one of them. It gives online courses for sports massage therapist at affordable price.
  • Yes, check Time for a massage. Small, but professional team.
    https://www.timeforamassage.co.uk
  • Sports injuries are very common issues and faced by every sportsperson who is a professional.Ignorance might be risky for your entire sports career as you should care for your body first.We at Atozen therapies do it professionally. We have professionals who knows the exact techniques, the pint where to trigger and stretchings. Deep tissue massage focuses on stretching fascia. By using a combination of deep compression massage techniques and stretching it helps you to restore the mobility of the affected muscles. Apart from this we have so many techniques to understand and solve the problem related to injury.
  • I'm not a sports massage therapist. But I'm a sportsmen and I would recommend you to use Massagers instead of Visiting a therapist every week and pay a lot of money. whereas you could do it by your own.
    https://zarifausa.com