Hello from a Newbie

Hello all, I have lurked in this section for a number of months and have quite often typed an intro, only to scrap it and continue to lurk.

I'm not shy or standoffish, just cautious lol.  I was in the Royal Navy for many more years than I can remember and usually kept myself in reasonable shape, however, due to being almost permenantly at sea I never had the opportunity to explore or set my own boundaries.  I left a few years ago and basically just drifted around, toying with different, pretty sedate outdoor type persuits, none of which really rang my bell.

I started running in March of this year at the age of 49 to shift some weight.  That has just continued and led me down the path which has long fascinated me, although I thought my age would also work against me.  My gains in strength and speed, whilst still modest, have been enough to give me encouragement that I could give triathlon a whirl and that I would have nothing to loose.  Basically, in terms of fitness and self esteem, it's win win.

So I have just joined my local tri club with the aim of competing at tri endurance distances, starting with a couple of 1/2 ironmans next year.  This year I've been working with my local running club, training and competing at 10k road races and 1/2 marathons. I'm currently training for the Dublin city marathon and I'm also putting my efforts into gaining strength on the bike.  I had never really owned a decent bike before, but I accidentally bought a lady's Trek 1.2 off Gumtree so decided to stick with it for nowimage .  The swimming part holds no particular fear for me as I have always been a half decent swimmer, although I'll never be a leading from the front standard.

I have tinkered with attempting the Outlaw 2012, however, I have a pretty clear idea what I am trying to achieve and the potential for injury by biting off too much too early.  That is why I'll start with the Northern Irish 1/2 Ireman and perhaps another 1/2 over here.

My question is would it be acceptable to put my name down for a cycling jacket in the very likely event that I will run a couple of events under the pirate flag, or should I wait until I have run those events under my own colours.  I don't want to feel disloyal to my new tri club by signing up to piracy at this early stage.

Once again hello to all, and I look forward to asking questions and taking your advice.

Comments