Male Vets Over 40 Discussion

Comments

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Nice running Rob

I managed a poor 19:47 today at parkrun.... felt terrible and very tired....

• LuvsaPB - 10k next Sunday our club race so local, possible 5k roadin Lancaster following sat then think about X-country probably 1st race 8/10 North staffs League at Winsford

RFJ - Thanks.  was the weather windy and humid with you sweat was dripping off me warming up!!

• Excellent running Rob. Hope a few youngsters were trailing in behind you feeling jealous.

I'd never run 12.5 laps before my training group tried it a few weeks back as a max effort run. My 18.21 was mainly due to one of the guys leading us lap after lap at our target pace, I tried not to think about what I was doing and wouldn't have had a clue how many laps were done without my Garmin. Sadly my parkrun times since (on flat, grass) have been nearly a minute slower so either the soft surface is tougher than it feels(but good training for the cross country season I guess) or I need to stop missing my interval sessions.

• Don't beat yourself up too much 57.5. Track is always quicker than road/grass/trail because of smooth & level surfaceimage
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

57.5 - Im faster on the track than on grass / road....

30:15 at Victory 5 today.... not bad as 1st m was a 6:20... my hip rotator was givig me serios jip and eased of at 1.5m and then flew nicely... would heve been a sub 30 with out that.... need to wait till thurs for the massage that I need....

• Ran 33.37 for 10k today very pleased thread has been quite for a little while hope everyone is ok

• Well done RFJ & Rob!  Stevie G on another thread got a pb at your race today{Victory 5}.

Rob- You are the fastest 'old fart' I knowimage Did you achieve a negative split on purpose?

• RFJ, Rob...... Still knocking out some serious times.... Fantastic.... RFJ four weeks to Abingdon, need to get yoursefl sorted mate....
  • Will be at Abo for my 2nd mara in 6 weeks. 24 mile LSR tonight. Oxford half next Sunday,then it's taper time again!
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

thanks guys

Rob Nice 10k time well done

• LuvsaPB not quite a negative split 16.45 and then 16.52 but the incentive of not getting caught by Michelle Ross-Cope was all I needed not to drop the pace much.

• Rob- That MRC is certainly fast right up to mara distance.image
  • hi everyone new to forum

Been training for a year constantly 40+ miles a week. before that used to train a couple of days a week but 6 weeks ago decided to step it up a bit now training 70 a week. starting to feel the benefits now. aiming for somewhere in the 16s for 5k in the near future hopefully. Nice times robt

• Welcome davmimage

We are both averaging 70 miles per week.  Did you actually jump from 40 to 70 at once or apply the 10% mileage increase per week?  Are you training for longer distances than 10k?  I'm doing my second mara in just under 3 weeks time.  

• No just sort of stepped up, running as i feel on the day. started counting the miles ( very obsessive ) also just started running on the track once a week which i feel is nessesary. most of mileage is done on the fells behind my house and the surrounding area  bar the sunday long  run which is usually done  on the canal to give my legs a rest.

Not training for anything in particular just want to get faster!!

• davm- The mileage jump is quite impressive & risky!  Remember the first time I did 40 miles per week, I got injured & was out for 2 months.

But good luck to you! Running's all about knowing your limitations & pushing beyond them gradually.  My goal is to get up to 100 miles per week in order to improve endurance & future mara times.

• mileage doesnt seem to be a problem ( only problem is finding the time to get out, family comitments )  like i said i run as i feel on the day so if im a bit sore or tired then i dont push which seems to work quits well as ive not had any serious injuries yet during the past 13 years running only niggles, doms etc.

What is they say about hitting the 100 miles a week. You`ll never find your true potential till youv`e done it!!

• Yes,finding the time to get the miles in is a struggle you can't always win. I hardly ever do double runs & do a standard 14 mile run usually four times a week,with something totalling around 10k down at the track on club night once a week,which would include my speedwork. With mara training I'll fit in one long run of 24 miles,but this gets chopped down a bit from 3 weeks before the next mara. Have managed to run 6 days a week now without feeling too fatigued,but I'd hardly call my approach scientific.

I've been running just under 4yrs,so I hope there's still enough time to build up endurance before age starts the slowing down process.
  • LuvsaPB    how you getting on still banging the mileage in. struggled myself last week only managed 60miles, family commitments. on target this week though 30 miles from monday.

• Hi davm.  40 miles last couple of weeks due to a half & 10k race.  Just under 2 weeks before next mara so another 40 this week & about 10 following week{36 if you include actual raceimage

One more 10k in Nov, then can concentrate on ranking up mileage to as near as possible 100 image

• Been lurking watching you all for a couple of weeks. Would really like to know how many of you have started to notice getting slower as you get older or is all down to training??? I had a long layoff a couple of yearss ago and have found it impossible to get back to what i preceive as anywhere near where I was. Basically dropping from low 35's to mid 37's over 10K. Over th last few weeks I've gone back to concentrating on mileage only to start feeling that maybe its the spped thats missing- or maybe I'm just getting old???
  • Hello aaaargh. I only started running just before turning 42,so I can't give you any perspective to your original question. I'm on an upward curve I hope! with under 4 yrs running under my belt. I've got this idea that I can keep getting faster til I'm 49,and then times will start tailing off. So I'm going to make sure I hopefully don't miss the opportunity through not enough effort or injury layoffs.
    Increased mileage has certainly improved my times in the last year from 39 mins down to 36 in 10k races,but not such big improvements in half marathons.
  • Hi aaaargh,

Like LuvsaPB most of my serious running has beenin my 40s so I also had a steady improvement from 40 to sub 37 for a 10k. I have found it a little tougher at 5k and 10k aged 45 than I did at 44 (off more mileage and slightly more focussed interval training) but had more consistency at the half marathon. Hard to spot a trend in that short a time however.

Problems with getting older include slower recovery and a gradual loss of cardio-vascular capacity and we can certainly mask both by better training if we can stay injury free. But without regular training we'll lose muscle bulk which is very hard to get back, this might be the problem of taking an extended layoff. But your basic physiology won't change so there should be a gradual improvement with plenty of injury free miles, core strength and  speed work.

P.S. I'm not a doctor but I am married to one.

• 57.5 Degrees of Pain wrote (see)

P.S. I'm not a doctor but I am married to one.

That's very handy 57.5!image

How are you? Any races coming up? Aren't you doing Abingdon mara this Sun like me?

• i'm really not sure that i'll be setting out to find anymore pb's

but of course, if on route anytime things seem on and realistic to do so then who knows

• With over 15,000 posts Mick, I think that's a pb I'm never going to surpass!image
  • Hi Mick! About to attempt only my 2nd mara in 6 weeks.  Hoping to get under 3hrs.  Missed it by 29 secs at Wolverhampton in Sept!  But the last 10 miles felt very uncomfortable so that experience has taught me to just take each race as it comes!

How many for the year will this one be for you?