Great north run 2012

2011 has been and gone and now it's time to start looking ahead !!

Come on everyone, let's get started nice and early and maybe just maybe I'll get a chance to tackle a GNR injury free !!

Comments

• I'm with you on that mr sj! No GNR 2011 for me due to the car not being fit.

I was so disappointed to not be there that I have decided that I will be back for 2012 with a target time of 2:15:xx.

There - now I've said it and it's on the first page. No going back now....
  • Tradition demands it :-

XL's 4 run plan

Run 1 - 5 miles. (DON'T think about anything further) Huge crowds, great atmosphere, bands. Take it steady, not too fast, you've run five miles or further loads of times. Enjoy the spectacle, and remember you are part of it. Those inspirational pictures of thousands running across the Tyne Bridge? Red arrows trailing the red, white and blue vapours. You're in them this year. Yes, you're in the Great North Run, the world's biggest half marathon. Enjoy!

Run 2 - 3 miles. Forget the 5 behind you, they're done. Think only of the next three. Three miles? Piece of cake, you've done 9, 10, 11 .. much more in training. These three are all downhill, wheeeeeee !! Great news for those of you after PBs for the event, or even if it's your first time and you have a target. Go for it here, within reason. Unfortnately, the road narrows, so you may notice it feeling a little more congested. Be careful.

Run 3 - 3 miles. SLOW DOWN. This is where you need your mental toughness. Console yourself with the fact that even the élites slow down here. It's a bit of a slog up the John Reid Road etc and there's not much to enjoy, but hey, if it was easy, the medal wouldn't be as important to you would it? If you're a run/walk person this is where you may want to be taking extra walks, and psych yourself up, but don't start thinking about the finish yet. Just get to 11 miles

Run4 - 2.1 miles That's nowt! Of course you're tired but you're nearly there. Now, start to tell yourself that you've done it (almost) the goody bag is waiting for you, go and get it. Gan steady down that bank! The last mile and a bit up the sea front is fantastic. Huge crowds yelling at you, the end is nigh. Let your spirits fly, even if you're knackered. You can stop soon. If you're after a time, push, you know you are fit, you have prepared well, and as knackered as you will feel when you cross the line, the elation will speed your recovery. Well done, you've finished the GREAT NORTH RUN 2012

• After watching today's GNR I really know I have to do this run next year, the tv coverage looked simply amazing, I can't imagine being part of such a huge event and everyone simply looked great from start to finish, really loving GNR and have 2 B a part next year. When do entries open?

• Well may as well set our targets out nice and early, I'm looking at gnr 2012 and a sub 1:35:00 !!
  • Hi, Jwheezy, and welcome to the thread.

If you register with the website, they will e-mail you when the ballot opens.

1:35:00 - go for it, sj

• I have nothing to say ... I just wanted to be on the first page image.

Well done to everyone running this year.  Whilst I enjoyed spectating (other than the downpour) I wished I'd ran it.

So my target is to be competing in it again next year.

• Hi XL-man and thank's I have signed up now, fingers crossed!

And well done to all GNR 2011 you are all inspirational!!!!

• My aims are 1) to be there and 2) to smash through this 2 hour barrier that always gets in my way.
  • Think ill be giving this a go next year. Started running this year and i am working my way up to a local half marathon for early next year. The GNR 2012 would be fantastic for me in 2012 i think. Watched today and can see myself doing it defo
  • Sign me up was really inspired yesterday ..just got to convince the missus that we both should do it..image

And Nell McAndrew as Batgirl....imageimageimageimage

• you can sign up for the email reminder thing for2012

for those that havent done GNR before, it is a fantastic day, amazing atmosphere and just a great race to be part of, so go on, you know you all really want to !!

• Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    The King is dead, long live the King.

Not bad MrSJ at least you waited till after someone crossed the finish line this year. image
  • Great run yesterday well done all those with a pb, I also managed to knock off a full minute of my time and came in at 1:57:32. Also so true about being addictive want ti take part next year, but instead of spending the afternoon in the road going to stop the sunday night too! So I can spend afternoon having a well deserved drink.

Looking at the bbc show yesterday (the wonders of sky +) it is going to be 16/9
    Sign me up now!
  • slowfoot wrote (see)
    What date is it ?
    I think that it was announced that the 2012 race will be on 16 September 2012.
  • im just planning on being fit for it , would make a nice change !
  • Fantastic day yesterday, loved every moment, did it in 1:54:37. I'll be back next year.
  • Stage one already complete for next year booked my hotel!  Next set up the reminder image
  • I'd like to be back next year, but only if I get in through the ballot. I don't want to tie myself in for another 3 years, just in case I decide to run Berlin Marathon one year! If I get to be in vaguely Sub 3 shape then that's the course to run it on.

Must we really set targets already? A lot can change in a year! I'll have a stab at 1.24.59. 

• I get in through the ballot every year cc2, refuse to pay the extra fee to get guaranteed 3 year thing
  • I heard about this 3 year thing while in the pens and I don't know anything about it. I must have missed something.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get through the ballot, got any tips mr sj ??

• I signed up for three years for 2011, 2012 and 2013. And I am hoping that 2014 will be my tenth GNR. Oh I must be a glutten for punishment as I have aching legs and a tender achilles this morning! You'll get the option to sign up for next 3 years Kirsten. I had a win on the horses so I spent my winnings on signing up for 3 years and race entry fee. Yep, I am mad!
  • Rod Goodwin - forgive me, I've been stalking your GNR times on the BUPA website.

It seems you were running times similar to me when you were my age (late 40s), and now you've cracked 1:40. I'm in awe. Just wondering what kind of schedule you put in to achieve that? I know you're a club member, and I'm not. Do you think it's achievable without joining a club?

• Kirsten - I alway enter the early ballot that is in either the daily mail or mirror and got through that twice, if you don't get in through that one then they just pu you into the main ballot and I've alway got in that one aswell ! Guess I'm just lucky!
  • Sounds like we've got a few with past experience of this ballot system so a couple of questions -Any idea based on previous years when registration usually opens?What sort of entry fee is it?Chance of getting a place (unlikely, good, pretty much certain)?When do you find out if you've got a place?
  • Bugger - missed page 1 again!!!

So - this is our new home is it???

*Gets out comfy settee and settles down with nibbles and drinks!*

• Stage one already complete for next year booked my hotel!  Next set up the reminder image