macclesfield or warrington?

rjhrjh ✭✭✭

advice sought as to the best organised and flattest, half marathon for the autumn.....not to mention the best goody bag! didn't even get one at blackpool!!

any feedback gratefully received.

becks

Comments

• Not done Macclesfield but I reckon Warrington must be flatter.

• DeanR7DeanR7 ✭✭✭

macc is not flat, but an excellent HM.

• Both are very well organised, Warrington has (I Believe) a slight course change to finish in the Town Centre this year so cant comment on new route BUT it will definately be flatter than Macclesfield. Maccelsfield has several hilly bits, nothing exceptional but you certainly know about them.

On the old course Warrington was really only one long drag out of town and then downhill on the way back with one short hill over the bridge towards the finish.

As mentioned above do Both and you could do both and then do Congleton a couple of weeks later

• rjhrjh ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice guys. This will be my 4 th half so don't feel ready to attempt consecutive weeks!

How hilly is macc? Enough to make a quasi novice crumble?
  • rjhrjh ✭✭✭
    Just had a look at congleton too. All close to home and 8 th October which iS even better. Description is undulating and course profile looks that way. Though to be honest I could do with knowing a visual of one of the peaks to give my limited understanding some perspective.
  • I did Macc last year and the last 3 miles are pretty much up hill. Its prettty indulating up until 10 miles. It was my first half marathon and pretty small in comparison to Bath and Liverpool which I have done recently

I want to do Macc again this year, but 2 weeks before the Liverpool Marathon it might not be the best idea.

• I did Warrington last year, I'll probably do Congleton this year. Warrington wasn't the most inspiring course in places. The goody bag was ok though, with a decent technical shirt.

Warrington is pretty flat, except for crossing a steepish bridge over the Ship Canal after about 2 and 12 miles (off the top of my head)

• Haven`t done Warrington but did Macc a couple of years ago,well organised starts and finishes on running track (congested at the start) and hilly.
  • my thoughts of Maccs HM is it' borders toughish  - plenty of long drags on route and a couple of hills

Warrington last year was'nt easy, having said that it was wet all day, and i had just returned from sickness , so was not on full par

both excellent events IMHO, which i prefer i dont know TBH

for a seasoned pro, or " Old Hand " theres no need to worry, but for a newer runner, still building on fitness and stamina, they could become tough work

• Macc is hilly, but it was the second half marathon I did and I beat my previous time from the much flatter Chester Half marathon.

• rjh wrote (see)
    Thanks for the advice guys. This will be my 4 th half so don't feel ready to attempt consecutive weeks! How hilly is macc? Enough to make a quasi novice crumble?
    Macc is gloriously hilly not like a hard core fell race but not exactly flat. Never done Warrington so got no idea if it's better or worse.
  • rjhrjh ✭✭✭

thanks for the helpful advice, i did warrington and had a great dry day - unlike the previous year's deluge.

well organised, undulating in a flattissh way(?) and some lovely rural roads to run down, we had a blast i would definately recommend it. good tech t shirt too.

now i am being persuaded to do conwy - but that is a whole other thread....

• So who did Macc then? I'd forgotten how hard it was.
  • image I did it and got cramped up at about mile two. I was right sh*t on the day but enjoyed it if thats the right word to use. image
  • I did the Macc as well. It's my local race and was my first HM a year ago. I came in 8 minutes quicker than last year, and 2 minutes outside my (flat course) PB. I certainly enjoyed it, though the hills are character-building.
  • I did the Macc Half as well. First time and hard and not helped by ITB flaring up at around mile 4 in Prestbury which meant the hills were a real struggle after that.  I'll be back next year now I've got a time to beat!