For Goodness shakes

2»

Comments

• Ah, I didn't know that. I've used Rego in the past, but I may avoid it in future, as I am not a fan of soya. (That's another story). Perhaps I'll just use whey powder plus a source of carbs.
  • just had a for goodness shake (got it 1/2 price) after a 23 mile run and it was pretty good actually ....legs are still totally knackered though...
  • There is suggestion that the protein from whey is somehow different to other protein and that whey protein is good for refuelling but not for building muscle.
  • Squeakz

I understand it to be fairly well established that rapidly absorbed proteins inhibit protein breakdown and promote protein synthesis.  Rightly or wrongly, elite trainers in all athletic disciplines prescribe protein supplements on this assumption, and sports protein supplements are designed to promote this type of absorption.  The manufacturers of REGO are at pains to point out that it should always be taken within 20 minutes of finishing exercise and must only be made up with water. 

If the idea of rapidly absorbed protein being optimal is erroneous, then it is an error that is universal across all sports.

• It depends on what sport you are doing as to what the protien is being used for. If you're doing marathon running (Aerobic)  then you're replacing energy if you're doing 100m (Anaerobic) then you're building muscle.

Too much protien consumption is not good for you at all. According to Doc Martin image and wikipedia....

• TimR wrote (see)
    There is suggestion that the protein from whey is somehow different to other protein and that whey protein is good for refuelling but not for building muscle.
    I would suggest that suggestion is wrong imageAsk any bodybuilder who's goal is to build muscle which protein they use (as a supplement) and 9 times out of 10 it will be whey. A casein protein such as cottage cheese is generally taken at night due to it's slow assimilation.
    Too much protien consumption is not good for you at all. According to Doc Martin image and wikipedia....

bizarre, the guy that sits behind me just quoted Doc Martin's opinion on protein image

• Ben Davies 15 wrote (see)

If the idea of rapidly absorbed protein being optimal is erroneous, then it is an error that is universal across all sports.

I think it's more to do with getting as much in when it is possible to actually absorb a lot. After training your body is more effiecient at utilising protein to repair muscles. You can absorb more then you might normally, hence more regeneration = bigger stronger muscles. So it is helpful to have a rapidly absorbed type of protein in order to be able to consume what the window of opportunity post training allows