Bring my own water for 10k?

Hi all,

I'm running in the Great Edinburgh Run (10k) next month. It's my first 10k and I'm ready(ish) but was wondering about water.

In training I have always run with water bottle on a belt for anything over a couple of miles. I have tended to sip as and when I felt like it. At the 10k there will be water stations, but I have to wait for them rather than drinking whenever I want.

I get the impression that people don't generally carry water with them on these things so I'm tempted not to, although that would then break the rule about not doing anything different on race day. Will I be the only one if I do?

What do people think?

Thanks

Comments

• IMO you shouldn't need water during a 10k
  • If you feel you need water, then I would take it. I usually do, as I know what type of bottle I will be drinking out of, and I can avoid the crushes that can occur at the water stations.
  • You should certainly be able to manage 10k without water, if you hydrate properly beforehand, but if it's your first race, then maybe stick with what you're used to - one less thing to worry about.

You won't be the only person carrying their own water, but the runners up the pointy end don't tend to.

• Compromise by taking your own water - but just a bit of it ? image
  • Do whatever makes you comfortable, but don't change your routine on race day. Have tried a 5 mile training run without water?
  • I'd take my own if I were you.  Although you don't need water for that distance, if you are a bit nervous and get a dry mouth, it can be very uncomfortable.  I've been there..............
  • Wow, lots of quick replies -thanks!

David White: I'm sure you're right from a hydration point of view, but I've got used to it, perhaps it's a comfort thing.

Dan Ellingworth: Thanks, glad it's not just me.

Wilkie: I definitely won't be at the pointy end. I'm just aiming for anything under an hour.

Cougie: Good idea, but I was going to use my usual bottle and, apart from the weight, I don't know how much difference it will make if I don't fill it up.

Intermanaut: I built up miles quickly, then dropped the distance down and have been building up again with a training plan. I've run 5 miles a few times but always lately with water. I may not have done in the early days but can't remember - even though I only started a few months ago!

Nessie: Good point. May be nervous.

I only have a  few more runs left till D-Day so I'll try a couple of experiments to see what works.

• you could go out on a couple of training runs water free. Of course you must do what you need to do but knowing you can run 10k wihtout having to drink some water would free you up a bit

• David White 35 wrote (see)

you could go out on a couple of training runs water free. Of course you must do what you need to do but knowing you can run 10k wihtout having to drink some water would free you up a bit

I'll definitely have a try before the day. I don't bother for my 2 mile runs. I started taking water after a long run in the sun, but there's not much of that around at the moment!
  • indeed. Sometimes you can create what you think are necesscities but are more idiosyncrasies. I don't think it's a good idea to allow yourself to get to a place where you must have X or Y in order to run. But as I said do what you feel you need to run well

• i would not bother with water on a 10k especially now that it is becoming much cooler.
    as long as you start the race in a hydrated condition you should be able to wait until the end. good luck!
  • Nessie wrote (see)
    I'd take my own if I were you.  Although you don't need water for that distance, if you are a bit nervous and get a dry mouth, it can be very uncomfortable.  I've been there..............

Totally agree Nessie - you don't want to end up focussing on your discomfort rather than your running.

However, as others have said, as it gets cooler the less you're likely to find you need it.

• Has the race not got a water station? if so just have a drink there.

I do agree with the others that for 10k, you should not really need it.

But if it is a mental thing and you want to repeat what you do in training, then take a bottle.

• The only hazard of taking your own water and being nervous at your first race is the tendency to drink it while waiting for the start............then you need to pee. image
  • I normally take water whenever I run, just because I like occasional sips. I have taken water to 10Ks before and always end up just carrying it round and not bothering to drink it, just getting the water at the water station.

However, just do what you think best for you, and you'll know whether or not you want to take some next time!

• I use a camelbak for nearly all my races as I just prefer to drink small sips when I need it, and have a more comfortable race.

I did my best 10k time without one but felt awful at the end as i had pushed myself really hard and was gasping by the end.

• As a postscript, I didn't in the end take my own water. I had a couple of practices without and an LSR where I took water half way through. Didn't miss it, but was ready for the water stop when it came. My goal was under the hour and I came in at 55:51, which I was happy with.
  • Nice one - a fine first time.
  • well done! Excellent first time.
  • Thanks guys. I cheated by having long legs!