Options

Breakfast before a Half Marathon

Running a Half marathon next week and will be staying in a Travelodge (No kitchen) Usually have porridge but of course won't be able to.

Just wondering what others munch on before races in the same situation.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Toast & honey + strong coiffee
  • Options
    Do they have a kettle in the room? You could still make an instant carbo breakfast thing. Or muesli, milk, banana a couple of hours before would do the trick. Nothing excessive.
  • Options

Eating before races is very individual, so the best advice is to do what you normally do before a run and not change too much. So if porridge works for you normally try and stick to it, maybe get a pot of porridge, they sell them in M&S and Pret amongst others, where you just add hot water.

Failing that, a flapjack bar would probably be quite similar.

Good luck with the race.

• Options
    E mmyE mmy ✭✭✭
    I normally have weetabix made with hot water - works a treat! I normally mix in an apple as well to give it some flavour
  • Options
    Mr KMr K ✭✭✭
    Take a small travel kettle & some of those `Oat So Simple` type of pots that`s what I do.
  • Options
    Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭
    Thanks for ideas. I will try one of those porridge pots & putting water with it this week. Trouble is I always add milk. If it tastes yuck I might just go down the weetabix road.
  • Options

I don't eat before a race but I like to drink fluids - well sip at a bottle of water with plj.

Porridge made with water tastes fine, you could add a knob of butter though.

• Options
    I usually go with a bagel with peanut butter and a banana if I'm staying away from cooking facilities (and yes, I have taken little tubs of peanut butter through airport security as hand luggage). But leave at least two hours to digest, and whatever you have make sure you try it out before a training run in advance.
  • Options
    I had the same problem, and opted for readibrek. Not as good as porridge, but a taste of my childhood, and it did the trick.
  • Options

if you take the porridge from m&s & your milk i bet if you ask really nicely at reception the staff there would probably have a microwave in their tea room... worth a try!!  I like you always have milk on my porridge, hate it made with water & have done this a few times before marathons & been in other countries & they have always been only happy to help!

Good luck x

• Options
    second vote for take a travel kettle and one of those pots of oats. i have seen them from m&s & oat so simple. If you prefer it with milk ring ahead and see if they have a microwave in their kitchen you can borrow per the suggestion Sian made....
  • Options
    I've just used my usual oats and poured hot water over them before a race if I don't have access to anywhere to cook porridge normally, it doesn't end up perfect but it's not too bad! Maybe have a try one day this week while you're still at home? I never used to use milk in porridge though.

Good luck for Sunday image
  • Options
    Have a word with the Travelodge staff - they will probably be able to help with getting some porridge sorted out for you.
  • Options
    The pots of oats-so-simple or Flahavens version (which is the one I use for races away from home) are meant to be made with water....they have powdered milk in them.  Taste just as good as my normal porridge made with milk in the micro.  All you need is a kettle & a spoon which you can generally find in most hotel rooms.
  • Options
    Running Rodent wrote (see)
    I usually go with a bagel with peanut butter and a banana if I'm staying away from cooking facilities (and yes, I have taken little tubs of peanut butter through airport security as hand luggage). But leave at least two hours to digest, and whatever you have make sure you try it out before a training run in advance.
    Try dates.  image
  • Options
    how about a smoothie? Every night I mix up some yoghurt, banana, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, oats and some protein powder in a blender and drink on my way in to work the next day.  I have before runs too and works well for me
  • Options
    When I stayed at the Hilton before the MK half (sounds dead posh, was the same price as the Travelodge), they knocked up a bowl of porridge for me.  Didn't stop me craving and lusting after the bacon/sausage/scrambled egg buffet though.  D'oh! 
  • Options
    Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭

Thank you everyone, helpful suggestions from you all. Thank you for the well wishes too.

I have been testing out porridge this week with boiling water, leaving to soak for 1-2 mins covered, then adding enough milk to make it taste nicer but not enough to make it go cold. Not of course as yummy as my usual version but will be good for the morning of the GNR & other races.

A bagel with peanut butter is up there too. This might go into my bag for after the race. Depending.

A smoothie sounds lovely but it would have to be in my bag for 24 hours. Not so lovely...

• Options
    Just take some milk and boil it in the kettle, just give it a good rinse before and after, works a treat.image
  • Options

I'm pretty chilled about hotel brekkies the morning before a race these days.  My second marathon was Paris and I was a bit concerned that there wouldn't be an opportunity to have my usual porridge.  As it was I didn't feel very hungry in the morning and breakfast was half a roll, a coffee, OJ and some water.  Didn't stop me running a PB and a negative split.  image

Since then I've been happy to eat whatever is on offer that has a bit of carb in it.  Any cereal's OK as long as it's not tooo high fibre, or a couple of slices of toast.  I think the evening meal the day before - plus sensible taper, sleep, hydration, etc. - is just as important as being able to fit in your usual race morning breakfast routine.

• Options
    Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭
    Milk in the kettle - Thats a brilliant* & simple solution. Will be doing that.image
  • Options

Agree its personal thing but I swear by 2 poached egss on toast!!! No cooker......bugger that i bring my single gas stove for camping!!! with a little thing that does toast on a hob!!

• Options
    PiXieLoNgStOcKiNg wrote (see)

A smoothie sounds lovely but it would have to be in my bag for 24 hours. Not so lovely...

why not chill it then stick in a Thermos flask?
  • Options
    Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭
    UPDATE - DO NOT PUT MILK IN A KETTLE - EXPLOSION !!!!
  • Options
    LOL ! I use the porridge pots and just add hot water .... tasted good enough to me and did the trick for my race last sunday image
  • Options
    Lil.Lil. ✭✭✭
    Yes, Hubby sat on the bed eating his porridge pot (Made up with water) as he watched me running around with this bubbling kettle. Just water for my porridge in future...
  • Options
    Another image for the porridge pot. Had one for the first time on Sunday and I was pleasantly surprised.