Running in San Francisco

I am flying to San Francisco next week from Monday to Friday and planning to fit in my training when there. Fortunately, I will be tapering for a marathon then so won't need to worry about getting lost on a 20 mile run. However, I wondered if anybody had some recommended routes in and around the city that I could try? Anything up to 16 miles would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Hi There,

A wonderful city with plenty to do and see.

You could run over the bridge and down into the port where you can get the ferry back.
    I did it by bike.  It is a steep decent and was glad to get on the ferry, along with about another 1000 bikes and their owners.

I organise City Running Tours in Scotland.  (www.cityrunningtours.co.uk) and I am an associate of Global Running Tours (www.globalrunningtours.com).  If you follow these links, it will give you an idea os the scope of running with guides around the world.  "Cheap, Cheerful, Safe and Healthy".
    Such a site exists in San Fran (www.achillestours.com).  Have a look and pass the word.

Hopefully I will see you in Glasgow one day.

"SeeYouJimmy"

• I only stayed in San Francisco for a day en route to somewhere else but I did manage a very nice 10 mile run along the bay.  Headed out from Marina Bay, through Fisherman's Wharf, although it starts getting a bit industrial after that, so heading in the direction of Golden Gate Bridge is probably a better idea.

Warning: if you can get "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" by Otis Redding out of your head for more than 10 seconds whilst on the run, you're a better man (or woman) than me!  image

• I was in San Francisco on holiday last month and did a 20 mile training run. It's pretty easy to find a route, just go along the Embarcadero and up to the Golden Gate Bridge and back. I ran over the bridge but it was so foggy I couldn't see the top of it, just the huge cables going up into the clouds!

Here's the Garmin link to the run:

20 mile run in San Francisco

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    That link is very useful, Alan - thank you v much for posting it! I agree that a run out along the Golden Gate Bridge sounds a good idea, PhilPub, as it will mean I can easily do an out and back loop without getting lost, although I will curse you if that song does pop into my head as I hadn't thought of it until you mentioned it now (up to now I have been humming about flowers in my haaaaair!) I really appreciated your link Chomski. Another vote for the GG Bridge has definitely persuaded me to run it at least once!