how to train after a half marathon to keep fitness up

Hi all,

After some advice please regarding training, I've recently done the bristol half marathon following a sub 1.45, 10 week training plan and did it 1:39:08. Am not planning another half until Bath in March. (when i will follow another training plan)

What training should I do to keep my level of fitness, Is the following acceptable or should I just keep following the last few weeks of the training plan?

Monday:- Rest
Tues:- 5 miles easy
Wednesday:- Rest
Thursday:- 6-8 miles Race pace
Friday:- 3 miles
Sat:- Rest
Sunday:- Long Run 10 miles

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Well done on the 1:39.
    Depends what you want to get out of it really if you want to get a faster time for the next one then I would use this time to build a good base mileage eg increase the long run gradually up to say 15/16 miles. You could also benefit from some intervals/speed/hill repeats. If like me you are too lazy/disorganised to do this off your own back then join a running club - unless you are already in one.

Of course you know your next target is sub 1:30 image

• Ha! 1:30 In my dreams I'm 34 seriously sleep deprived thanks to my two small kids, Think my time has passed..... mmm 1:30 could you imagine!!

Was thinking of joining a running club, I've been running on my own, think I would enjoy the company and extra motivation.

So should I do the intervals/speed/hill repeats during the week and just mix it up a bit?

• If in the week is easiest for you. Also if you don't want to do a dedicated session not being in a training plan you can mix it up during a normal run ie sprint to the next lamp post, push up a hill etc. Maybe think about trying some 10k races or even 5k parkruns ?
    The main thing for me between plans is just to enjoy it and yes a club is good for motivation and company. With your HM time you needn't worry about being at the back either.
    And why not sub 1:30? You have a couple (ahem) of years on me and I hope to get that next year. Ok well 1:35 first - my last was 1:37.

• Katy1 wrote (see)
    Ha! 1:30 In my dreams I'm 34 seriously sleep deprived thanks to my two small kids, Think my time has passed..... mmm 1:30 could you imagine!! Was thinking of joining a running club, I've been running on my own, think I would enjoy the company and extra motivation. So should I do the intervals/speed/hill repeats during the week and just mix it up a bit?

You have plenty of time to train and achieve a 1:30 hm. I'm significantly older than you and am aiming for close to 1:30 as I can get. It's really down to putting in the training.

Because of my work I aim for

1x hill reps - usually weds am after night shift.
    1x track - thurs eve - intervals
    1x easy usually off road 6 miles @ 8m/m with a friend tue am
    1x lsr usually at the weekend but dependant upon work

If I can fit another run in I do

I swim 2x / wk and cycle to and fro work.

Training has not been too easy, sometimes I will do 2 runs in one day, used to be the norm.

Another little thing you can do is 10 really short fast hill reps after an easy run. I quite like doing hilly runs, you can get in a reasonable length run but also some hill work. Depending on the time you have available you can mix and match your training runs so that you don't do the same thing each week. It works for me as my work is quite erratic.

• Thanks guys, well you have motivated me to train hard and maybe get close to 1:30! Thanks for your great tips, it's been a real help.
  • ...some more races inbetween??

Pick say 2 or 3 if poss - perhaps 10 milers and 10k's. Also joining a running club could get you some cross country races in too.