Dublin Marathon 2011

Comments

• Hi guys, I'm just trying to do some planning ahead for Dublin. One of the main things I want to get right is the 'night before' meal. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good place to grab some appropriate nosh? Somthing fairly plain like some rice and chicken / fish would be ideal. However, it's sometimes easier said than done trying to find plain food out and about in a city you are not overly familiar with.

Any suggestions welcome!
  • Marc,

There is a huge number of places in Dublin.  Two years ago this forum met up in Temple Bar (West end of Dublin) in  a restaurant for a pasta meal.   Went really well.   If your staying on the south sude of the city, Baggot Street is a lovely safe area to go to and they is a large number restuarants in the area.  

John

• Yes, there will be pacers again this year. These groups will run a pace for 3:00, 3:15, 3:30, 3:45, 4:00. 4:15 & 4:30. They will be easily identifiable by the large balloons and one pacer normally carries a sign too.

• <a href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?sp=&v=8&MemNo=671504" title="Visit marcdavis member profile">marcdavis</a> - Re. food options the night before....there are lots of places but of course something pretty plain would be best. In the centre of town, near Stephens Green, there's a Wagamama where you could get basic rice or noodles. Might be an option?  Let me know what area of town you're staying in if you need more ideas.

• Hi all, I am also planning to do Dublin Marathon in October, I live in the North of Ireland and am considering travelling down to Dublin that morning - Has anyone any advice on this as I have no idea what to expect a far as traffic conjestion and parking goes.  Thank you and best wishes on your training and staying injury free.image

• Thanks finbarr and lindap for your suggestions.

Wagamama sounds like it might fit the bill. You know exactly what you get there and there are plenty of suitable dishes on the menu. I'm staying fairly close to baggot st too so it sounds like there will be some good options.

It's really starting to get close now. There is still plenty of hard work to be done but it's quite exciting.

I'm flying over from heathrow on the sunday. Annoyingly my flight time has been changed about 3 times. I originally arrived in Dublin at about 1300 but I now don't get there until around 1430. Hopefully that should still leave me plenty of time to get down to the expo to register at a leisurely pace.
  • MarcDavis:

I think the expo stays open until 6pm but if you're nervous about getting there in time you can get a bus straight from the airport to the RDS (expo venue). It's the blue bus called AirCoach. Alternatively it's only about 20mins from Baggot St to the RDS if you want to drop your bags first.

Kaz40:

You're brave to consider driving down the morning of the race! Unless you're just a passenger of course? Depends on where you're coming from but you'll probably arrive in on the M50 around the airport and will get into town from there in about 30 mins that time of morning on a bank holiday. The street closures are normally posted on the marathon website but you'd easliy get parking around 8am on the periphery of the closures. In terms of vicinity to the start / finish area you could park in the Jurys Inn carpark on the north quays or in Stephens Green / College of Surgeons on the south side. You'd have to check their bank hol opening hours on their websites though. There's also a small amount of on street parking available. 

• aaaarrrrgggghhhh, I have got myself a lower back injury! I am seeing the physio today, it happened last friday after a run and is better today but still can't run, starting to panic!!.  I am due to do a 20 miler this weekend which I will have to move back to the following weekend assuming i'm back up and running, which in turn means that i will have to re-schedule my last 20 miler to 2 weeks before the day.  Is this too close to the marathon, any advice welcome.

• It depends - is this your first? Have you done one yet?

Personally I would do it as it gives you a lot of confidence. I have done an enforced 4 week NO RUNNING AT ALL taper due to injury and still managed to get round (it was my first - it was not great but I survived).

• I have done one marathon before but wanted to crack the 4 hours in Dublin,  was gonna do a 20 miler this weekend then a step back to 12 the following week, then my last 20 the week after leaving a 3 week taper.  Not sure now wether to do two 20 milers one week after the other and still leave a 3 week taper or leave a week inbetween the 2 20's and have a 3 week taper?

• LINDAP

Thanks linda for the travel info, I would only be a passenger as my sense of direction is really bad and I I live just over an hour from Dublin airport so if left early enough should'nt take too long getting on into Dublin center.

hav'nt totally ruled out staying over night before but trying to keep cost to a minimum. 

• Kaz40: You have to register at the expo on the Sunday unless someone is doing that for you.

Last year I parked on Lombard street 10 minutes walk to the start - It's a bank holiday so there is a good bit of parking and it's free but don't leave anything on display.

I think I have strained a ligament in my knee doing the Phoenix Park 1/2 on Saturday and I can't run at all at the minute ( tried twice and had to give up after 100 metres) - longestrun  I have done is 15 mile so I could be out if it doesn't clear up in the next week or soimage

• Braceface - what I would do is head out this weekend and see if you are happy enough to do 20. If yes then that's one in the bag. Takes the pressure off next week (just in case you catch a cold or whatever).

• Braceface- same as looking to break the 4,  gonna do a 20 next week and start winding down after that, I'm up to 18 and a good 20 will be enough for me I feel, you gotta trust yourself really. I've a blog on the training I'm doing if interested on breaking the 4 hour mark below

www. rorymccauley.com

• Another long run in the bag. Did 19.5m yesterday at a steady pace of just over 9 min miles. Its the longest run I have ever done so feel pretty pleased. It was (dare I say it) fairly comfortable for the first 15 miles but the legs really started to tire towards the end. I have scheduled 3 more long runs (next 3 Saturdays) which leaves a 2 week taper. I'm not sure exactly how long I will go in the next 3 yet. Possibly 20,22,20.

One thing that has bothered me a bit on the longer runs is the drink situation. I'd be interested in how you all handle this. So far during my training, I have tried almost every method to avoid actually carrying one including...

- Running loops so I can hide a drink en route
    - Carrying some change so I can pop into a newsagent en route
    - Getting my wife to go for a walk along the same route with my drink
    - Using a camelbak (but the sloshing noise is irritating!)
    - Not bothering at all and just relying on the gels (not recommended over 10 miles!)

None of them are perfect but I seem to have settled on the newsagent en route option.

Hopefully all you guys had/have a good run this weekend.
  • I used to use a camelbak - the trick is to squeeze all the air out of the bladder after you fill it - all the tiny air bubbles. Then it doesn't slosh at all.

Now I take a bottle and stick it half way. It's not ideal as I always end up getting thirsty towards the end of the run.

I have now found that I don't mind the miles as much as I mind the thirst towards the end. But it's not THAT bad.

The worst one was when I got home and my family had gone out - I resorted to drinking out the garage tap... Still having swallowed the Thames when doing the London Triathlon - any and all water tastes fine now.
  • Set a new pb of 46.45 in the Swansea 10k today taking nearly 2 mins off my previous bestimage

Steady all the way and not feeling too tired at the end.

On the down side my back is feeling a little sore. Been having the odd twinge for a couple of weeks and felt it again at 5k.

I'll see how it feels tomorrow. I may decide to rest for the next few days and then do some cross training before a 20 miler on the weekend (hopefully)

marcdavis

I just do loops (calling back in my house every hour for drinks, jaffa cakes), or take money and stop in a newsagent. There's no way i could carry a camel. Especially with my back image

• marcdavis

I have a nathan hydration belt which fits round the waist and has 4 10oz bottles. dont even notice it when i'm running.

Stevej

well done on the Swansea 10k, I did that run last year with an almost identical time to yours, really  nice 10 with music on the way! I have just recovered from a bad back and have had to take 10 days off running, it is my first run back from injury tonight so fingers crossed I can get back in shape to do a 20 miler this weekendimage

• Thanks for the camelbak tip GymAddict. Sounds obvious when you mention it but I still didnt think of it image

I'll look into the hydration belt braceface. Sounds like it might do the job.

Hope your back recovers quickly Steve! Every little niggle now starts to worry me. The thought of getting injured now after all the hard work is unthinkable. I have complete sympathy for anyone who picks up a serious knock at this stage.
  •  still pretty quiet on here compared to previous years...I'm a happy camper endurance wise (have 3 20-milers & one 22-miler in the piggy bank) but have done ZERO mp runs/speedwork plus I'm a stone (!) heavier than when I ran this last year...a PB is out of the question but I'll give it all I've got...hoping for a slack wind, blue sky type of day, settle in behind the pacers, grit the teeth and give it hell...four and a half weeks to go...thinking of running a half by myself at the weekend all out in effort to estimate where I'm at pace wise...

• Hi Adog,

It is indeed quieter here. I'm going pretty okay without over killing myself in comparison to '09. Have three runs done over 18 miles. In '09 after 13 weeks I had 496 miles clocked up. This year I have 350 miles done.

I'm actually a stone lighter this year so I'm hoping that will make the difference in the latter half of the race. So plan, go out at 9 minute pace and not 8:30->8:45 like in '09 and stay at it until > 15 miles. After that it's just on the day weather / how i feel etc. if I can sneak another sub 4.

john

• marcDavis - I used to be annoyed by the sloshing and then had the lightbulb moment after the 6th time that turning it upside down and sucking the air out stops the sloshing!

I've got used to running with a camel back and also a sports drink too and I don't feel it weighs me down at all.

Ive got a marathon on the 9th October aswell so I'm well in my taper for that one, but not sure what I will be doing between that one and the Dublin one.

Maybe a couple of 15s.

I'm hoping for a sub 3:45 but we'll see. My 9th october marathon is trail and undulating so sub 4 would be ideal!

• Hey all,

Dublin will be my first marathon.

My times are

5km 21.00 

10K 45mins (been a while since i did one)

Half Marathon 1hr 38min 16sec (3 weeks ago on a flat course)

Marathon predictor times are saying i can go sub 3.30

I have trained pretty ridigly to the sub 3.30 runnners worls schedule

but im thinking  i'll be a lot closer to 3.45

as the schedule doesnt go beyond 20 mile, and few of the runs are at race pace.

Should i up the pace of my long runs now, to get closer to what i want to run on race day

Plus i hear Dublin is a hilly marathon so that will add afew minutes to my time.

any advise??

• It isn't all that hilly - there are 2 that I remember - one fairly early on and then one a 19ish. Neither are massively long or steep (again - it was 2 years ago - maybe I will be changing my mind in a few weeks).
  • Hi Debutant,

My half marathon time was also 1:38 before my first marathon in Belfast in May, my marathon time was 1:42.  Was running with a not fully healed ITB injury so took it a bit slower at start than I normally would have but was able to maintain exact same pace the 1st and 2nd half.  Looking forward to hopefully being injury free for Dublin and doing it in bit better time. 

I'm no expert but I found getting in a couple or even one 23 mile run before not only good for fitness but great for confidence and lets you know what to expect and you know if you manage it you'll be able to squeeze another 3 mile on the day.  Think at this stage you might be encouraging injury by trying to increase your speed on long runs.

All the best and wishing you an injury free enjoyable marathon.

• Sorry just noticed I said marathon time was 1:42 should say 3:42.  I must have ate whole box wheetabix that morn LOLimage
  • Hi Debutant ,

I 've similar times to you, and am also following a sub 3.30 schedule from this website, although it's a slightly different one.

My long runs are scheduled to be at just one pace, (slow) , I guess yours is the one where it splits them as first part easy, second part MP.

I don't know which is better for training, but I'd guess the time of the run would be roughty the same, and from what I've heard, it's time on the feet that helps the most, getting used of going for 3+ hours. I know I got a lot more conifident once I came home after my first 3 hour run

Training going okay here so far, have one 18, and two 20 milers done, and have a 20 and 22 scheduled for the next two weekends. Following week was a scheduled 18, but I'm replacing that with the cardiff half, will have to ensure I treat it gently as don't want to get injured pushing for a pb.

am finding the last week or so quite tough going, which I suppose is to be expected with the peaks in milage and long  distance. touch wood, no injuries as yet, so hoping Dublin will go well, and the weather is as good as last year!

Martin

• Finbarr, you wouldn't think of just going out with the 4-hour pacers, would you? 

I find the pacers a great help - it makes it all so simple: all that there is to worry about is keeping up. 

Where are all the regulars from previous years on this thread gone?! 

I think there's a minor alteration to the course this year - a different road is being used through the Phoenix Park, but elevation is unaffected. Does anyone know anything else about this? 

The hour later start time is defo a good thing. I remember eating chicken curry and rice and downing a pint of flat coke at dawn last year! Nothing like a heary breakfast on marathon day. 

• Adog,

In '09 I thought they done a bad job with the pacing. All the Balloons were at the front of the 'Green' section while I was 3/4 way back in 'green'. The people in the purple section did not have a hope in hell of catching their pacers.

I tried for two miles to catch the 3:45 pace group but never even saw them on the course.

I was not there last year so I don't know if it was any better.

I did the Enniscorthy half earlier in the summer and I stead with the 1'45" pace group which I though was great image. but then that was a smaller group 20/30 people. Not sure about running with a couple hundred people bunched very closely.

• Make or break on Sunday - I hurt my knee doing the Dublin 1/2 two weeks ago and I have not gone above 15 miles yet due to another injury - I did 7.5 miles today at a slower pace and got through that but I could still feel the knee although it got no worse as I went round the laps and that was my first run since the 1/2. I am doing the Athlone 3/4 on Sunday - If I can't manage that then I think that's it for the Marathon - If I get through it I will try to get another 18/20 miler in the week after and then taper. Last year I had 2 x 20 and a 22 Miler in before the Marathon and came in at 4:30.

This year ( I am a bit lighter) I have been a lot quicker in training on 10k's and have 1.55 and  1:57 1/2 Marathon times but have been injured twice in the last 5 weeks and lost 3 weeks trainingimage - The 15 miler was 6 weeks ago. I did the Athlone 3/4 in 3:17 last year but I think finishing is the aim this yearimage