Leicester Marathon 2011

I can't seem to find anything about the 2011 Leicester Marathon on RW? Maybe I am just missing it...

Has anyone who has run it before provide some details? Fast course? Good support etc.

Comments

• Ran it last year as a training run for Snowdonia - had a whale of a time image
    It is a small event, but very well run with some outstanding marshals. The course is lovely in parts, but pretty uninspiring in other bits and the finish through the city centre was a bit odd; being a relatively small event, bystanders seemed a bit bemused as we puffed through the final miles image
    IMHO it isn't the fastest course, but certainly not a killer slow one either.
    Hope that helps image
  • Ran the full last year and the half the year before - a really well organised event. Starts and finishes in the City and as Frodo says a mix of well spread out supporters and confused shoppers walking in front of you in the city centre. It can be a bit lonely between mile 10 and 18, but when you get back in to the villages and City there is good support. Relatively flat course apart from the up hill final half mile up New Walk, can be a killer on the legs as well as having to watch people drinking beer and eating steak sandwiches in the bars !
  • I would recommend it as it is my local race, although this year I am doing Chester instead on the same day. The half marathon version is all I have done and is flat apart from the last half mile which has a hill - although it's not that bad!
  • Yep - did it last year - nice enough course - rolling I'd say - but great marshalling, great support and a nice start/finish area.

Running through the shopping precinct was a bit odd - but you got to see the city !
  • Did it a couple of years ago and conceding it this year at the moment. It’s small for a city marathon but well organised if the course is still the same first bit city run and then a bit boring on a motorway type road. Then goes through lots and nice courtyside will some slight hills back into the city, through the city centre confuzing the shoppers and a big of a hill at the end. Well worth doing and there are excellent facilities at the start/finish with the local uni. image
  • Would say that the event has  got more and more popular each year. Very well organised and pretty well supported too. As others have said, a little bit odd with bemused shoppers towards the end but they will still give you encouragement. I expect to be there again this year.
  • Thanks for the replies folks. I will be doing it but just wanted to know a bit more about it. Will be looking for sub 2:50 but it sounds as though the hilly last mile or so may stand in the way of that.
  • Did you know WarrenK is an anagram of.........image
  • Yes, of course I know that, but only if you can't spell and spell it with 2 r's.image
  • Martin HMartin H ✭✭✭
    Warren - If you are aiming for sub-2.50 then the final hill will only knock a few seconds off of your overall time as you should be strong enough for it.  It is not a killer hill, just a steady incline for three quarters of a mile (I run it most lunchtimes).  When you get to the end you still have another 200m to sprint for the lineimage.
  • Final hill not big at all just feels it after the other miles before hand. image
  • Hi

I'll be running the Leicester Marathon this year and was just wondering if anyone knew what the route will be?

The Leicester Marathon website only shows a half marathon route. I have emailed both the company that is processing the entries and a guy from Loros who appears to be one of the organisers but have yet to get any information back.

I'm hoping that it doesn't turn out to be two laps of the half-marathon course as I think this would be a bit de-moralising, especially as it's my first marathon!
  • This has ben the route for the last 3 or 4 years....

Leicester Marathon route

• Thanks for the link. I emailed the organisers again after posting here and actually got a reply almost straight away. I didn't get a map of the route but I did get a list of all the roads and it looks like it is the same route as previous years. It's certainly not two laps of the half-marathon route which I'm relieved about!
  • Does anybody know what time the marathon starts? I can't find that info on the offical race site. Thanks.
  • I seem to remember seeing 9:15 as the start time but I can't see this on the website now. I did find the following hidden away in the FAQ though which may be some help:

"What time do I need to get to Victoria Park by?

It is advised that you aim to arrive at Victoria Park at 8:00am on the day. This will give you time to deposit your bags, kit, and valuables. To prepare, warm up and stretch. You’ve been preparing for this event for months so don’t rush the last part, don’t place extra pressure on yourself by being late for the start. Runners should be there by 9:00am in the starting pens."
  • MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    just signed up for the half marathon, it's my local race so about time I tried it! I have been a spectator in the past, the bit in the city centre looks good, but the faster runners will be done before the shoppers have arrived.
  • I really enjoyed last years which was a well organised & friendly race & would be a certain PB opportunity if it wasn't for New Walk.  To put that climb right at the end is cruel & I would advise any new comers to leave something in the tank! Hoping for cooler conditions this year.
  • Can any past runners give an idea of what the start is like? I believe there are a few thousand people all setting off at once, so I would imagine it is important to be reasonably near the front if you are looking for a quick(ish) time.

• Hi Warren,

I haven't had a problem in the past at the start.  I certainly haven't found that I am under peoples feet or visa versa after starting in the middle of the field.  Within a couple of hundred yards you turn left on to London Road where the course widens out & you can get a decent first mile in down the hill! 

There is a good post on you tube if you type in  Leicester marathon 2010 with the field turning into London Road & shows that there is plenty of space. 

• Has anyone had their race packs yet?

I had an email on the 22nd saying they would be posted out shortly but haven't received mine yet.

• I had an email today saying it would be sent out shortly. But i had an identicle email last week. It better be very shortly now.

To be honest im not too impressed with the organisation of this so far. Theres no start time anywhere on their website, the route shown is only a half marathon route (and somebody has posted already that its not simply two laps of that) and its getting very tight for the packs to be sent out. Im sure it'll be alright on the night, but im not filled with confidence.

• I had another email saying it would be sent out shortly not long after my last post.

I agree that the organisation hasn't been very good. The website generally seems to have been updated bit by bit with no indication of what is relevant to last years race and what is new information for this year and it took two or three emails just to get confirmation that the marathon route wasn't two laps of the half marathon course.

With this being my first marathon I was hoping that things would be a bit more organised so that I can just worry about completing the course rather than having concerns over the organisation as well!
  • I agree, pretty unimpressed by what I have seen thus far. Hopefully the race itself will be better.
  • Would agree that this year has been the poorist in terms of communications and information etc.

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    I accidentally deleted my email confirmation from the organisers whilst on holiday, I was expecting a race pack on my return. So no need to worry, still a few days to go. The website does look a bit poor I must admit. Hope the race is better organised on the day. One thing I do remember from watching it a couple of years ago is that it goes under the dual carriageway in the centre of leicester, so it means running up the steps, probably not what you want at 11 to 12 miles really, plus it smells of p*ss down there! good luck everyone.
  • No steps. Uses the ramps IIRC.
  • Uses the ramps but I found the 'U' turn at the top a bit challenging given how tired my legs were at that point last year - it was my first half, so I'm hoping to be in better shape this year.

I haven't had my race pack yet - just some e-mails saying it will be on it's way.  I hadn't even thought about the start time - so thanks to those who have pormpted me to think about how I'm going to get there in time!

• MACbMACb ✭✭✭
    OK, I thought it was steps only, the ramps sound easier. I have always wanted to to try this race, but I normally do Nottingham instead and then give up on the idea of this race due to fatigue/laziness! but it is my nearest half marathon so about timed I finally gave it a shot. Not sure how much parking there'll be around the start area.