Sydney marathon

Hi Runners World
I am running my first ultra 50k in a few days. My dream for next year is to run in the Sydney marathon. Are there some travel companies which would help with getting there, accomodation etc... Companies that can be trusted??
Anyone who has run Sydney before can you get in touch with any useful tips? Thanks very much
Nat x

Comments

• If you google 'Sydney Marathon' there are companies offerering travel packages, some including entry.

I can't give any opinion on whether they can be trusted as I've never used any of them.

• PG3PG3 ✭✭✭
    I can only talk from about 2002 but Sydney marathon is awful.  It runs out to homebush, ie the middle of nowhere, no support, the city doesnt care about it (it comes out in droves for the city to surf which is a similar time) and unless it has changes significantly, DON't do it!  If you are going to Sydney anyway then great but dont travel all that way for a pretty rubbish race.
  • I've just completed the Sydney Marathon (18th Sept), it must have changed since 2002, as the route was pretty good, although the small ups and downs in the last 10km are not fun,over the harbour bridge finishing at the opera house, running through the gardens, past the SCG, ANZAC parade, DO IT image The support in places isn't there but in most places it is. Watch for the temperatures though, it was hot this year at 28 degrees, the days before 20 and 21 the days after 19 and 18, I want a word with the weather maker image.

As for packages DON'T sort your flight out yourself comparison websites will get you a great deal, the same for accomodation and enter yourself on the sydney running festical website.

If you decide against Sydney (but you'd be bonkers) look into the great ocean road marathon about May, it's cheaper to enter and the views are stunning image