Walking the London Marathon - is it feasible?

2»

Comments

• but the london marathon is like the lottery...its open to all and you take your chances..............as long as they stick by the marathon guidelines.................no point in saying Mr A is more deserving than Mrs C............

when the lottery winners are announced........we don't moan that they should give the prize to anyone already earning more than £30,000 as they already have money and are not deserving of their lottery ticket..........

good luck to anyone who gets the places....its theres to take part in however they want to...........I won't be racing on my place next year ..................i will be enjoying myself takingh in the sightsimage

• Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
    You are entitled to that opinion Warkie. I hold the opinion that if you walk you should be forced to drop out. Unfortunately the organisers go along with your opinion.
    SO your not going to walk any of the Beachy Head Marathon then SR image
  • Well Tommy. I don't intend to walk any of it. There may be those type of hills where it is as quick to walk as it is to run. I think I might be able to climb up Mount Tower Bridge though - he
  • hahaha... Mount Tower Bridgeimage

Yep I'll probably be walking up some of the hills at Beachy especially the steps, which are spaced so unevenly apart they are almost impossible to run all the way up.

• And the reward for best response goes to a PIRATE!!

Yes the London Marathon is open to all!!

Some of my friends are Pirates (Crashy, Squishy, Fat Budha) they wouldn't dream of criticising anyone who has the guts to go out do this event.

There are plenty of races out there for the 'purist' runner, however no walkers stopped my son doing 2hr 50mins at this years London Marathon.
  • No Crashy ,Squishy, Slushy, Cuthbert and Dibble wouldn't would they?

Thanks for the warning about the steps Tommy.
  • What number you running at Beachy Head Tommy?

Coming to watch my son and wife running it, and I'll give you a cheer!

And you Sussex Runner, what number are you?

Oh and btw Pirates are out on course as marshalls!
  • seren nos wrote (see)

but the london marathon is like the lottery...its open to all and you take your chances..............as long as they stick by the marathon guidelines.................no point in saying Mr A is more deserving than Mrs C............

when the lottery winners are announced........we don't moan that they should give the prize to anyone already earning more than £30,000 as they already have money and are not deserving of their lottery ticket..........

good luck to anyone who gets the places....its theres to take part in however they want to...........I won't be racing on my place next year ..................i will be enjoying myself takingh in the sightsimage

I wrote a really long reply that was lost due to being too long ... but basically it said the same thing as Seren image 

An event like London that is always oversubscribed will always have elements of unfairness, some people find it unfair that people can buy their way in with a charity place, others might find it unfair that someone can get in on a GFA, when another (slower) runner never succeeds in getting a ballot place. For the vast majority of people, whether they get in to London depends on how lucky they are in the ballot - and if you pay your money and take your chances along with everyone else, then who is to say you can't compete the event running, walking or a mixture of the two? 

• You, Knackered. We don't get our number until at least the day before.

Looks like junior might have the edge on me. Do you know who is favourite to win the ladies race?

• 'kk' aka 'knackeredknees' wrote (see)
    And the reward for best response goes to a PIRATE!! Yes the London Marathon is open to all!! Some of my friends are Pirates (Crashy, Squishy, Fat Budha) they wouldn't dream of criticising anyone who has the guts to go out do this event. There are plenty of races out there for the 'purist' runner, however no walkers stopped my son doing 2hr 50mins at this years London Marathon.

All hail to the wonderful Pirates..

I'm going to tell Tony Blair about you lot - I'm sure you'll be able to sort the middle east out too..image

• Well if Pheidippides would have strolled from Marathon to Athens to announce the battle victory instead of getting some serious miles in as the legend suggests it would have been remembered very differently.

In my view the only reason people should walk in a marathon is due to injury or illness. Anyone walking after a few miles should be hauled off the course. There are plenty of walking events taking place nationally without the huge demand of the VLM. I don't think it takes guts to walk 26 miles for the average relatively fit human being. It takes guts to RUN it as the human body isn't designed for it.
  • Sounds like you need some real running experiences, why not try:-

Isle of Jura Fell race

Goatfell Race

Highland Cross

Ben Nevis Mountain Race

Snowdon Mountain Race

Bob Mortimer Round.

• WiBWiB ✭✭✭

Andy Stevens 3 - I agree with you regarding getting around, anyone can walk it. Anyone who can't consistently move their body at such a slow pace whilst being provided water and energy supplements (excluding injury/disability etc) should sort themselves out.

However, the human body is designed to run a lot more than you appear to think. Although running on the terrain of completely flat tarmac is something that most likely wasn't in the early models!

• WilkieWilkie ✭✭✭
    'kk' aka 'knackeredknees' wrote (see)
    ....., however no walkers stopped my son doing 2hr 50mins at this years London Marathon.
    I would think he probably started near the front?  Not likely to be many walkers in pens 1 and 2.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Bob Mortimer Round? I've heard of the Bob Graham Round but now I'm going to have to google...
  • "....However, the human body is designed to run a lot more than you appear to think. Although running on the terrain of completely flat tarmac is something that most likely wasn't in the early models!......"

I half agree with you. I think the human body is designed to run. I think it is designed to run short distances. It certainly isn't designed to run 26 miles at a steady pace as it cannot carry enough fuel internally without burning fat.

Bob Mortimer Round ? Is that a sort of celebrity fell race ?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Google suggests that the Bob Mortimer Round is good old-fashioned humour.  I think KK was seeing if we were all paying attention...

• I've run marathons and walked two, deliberately - the Manchester Shine walks, and I was worse off for injuries etc after the walk this year, I walked it in 6:15 and finished with blisters and soreness in hips and knees, running is infinitely more comfortable, I'm happy to run a marathon knowing I will be a little stiff that evening but right as rain in a day or two. Besides if we all listened to the Doc, none of us would ever run  
  • MrsPB have you decided what to do about London?

I have been diagnosed with chronic arthritis in both knees and I know this will be my last chance at London. I am 58 this year and as arthritis is only going to get worse I know I won't have another chance. Training is nt going well due to pain but I really want to go and enjoy the day. I have run many of the London marathons and am going to be sad to give up.

I know I won't be able to run it all but I just want this one last time before hanging up my shoes regardless of how long I take.
  • Speedy - sorry to hear about your arthritis - you won't be alone on your walk.  As you say - just enjoy the day.  The Hash House Harriers have a beer table at mile 22 and you would be more than welcome to have a refreshing slurp on your way.
  • Thank you BBH I will certainly have a slurp to keep me going on the last 4 miles. I had hoped to keep running to 60 but I think the knees are too bad for that. 25 years of running can't have done them any good.
  • Hi all. I am walking vlm as having gone from 30 ston down to 22 stone, still too heavy to run. How many walking miles do I need to be up to? Currently doing 15 miles in 4.00 but finding I hard to carve out training time in on stint. How far 15, 20, 25?
  • I reckon if you can walk 15 you can walk 26.

That said - the more miles in your legs - the easier it will be.
  • William, i'd walk 18 - 20miles if i were u for ur longest training walk, good luck to you all whether u are walking or running, i did vlm last year, had a knee injury

so my theory was run a mile walk for a minute, and it worked for me, on my minute walking i had a drink, a jelly baby or even took a photo hahaha, I managed it in 5hours 49 and was well chuffed with that and although i was in agony at mile 18 with my knee and took painkillers, i was determined to finish I ran the last 2miles without stopping and decided to knuckle down and run my legs off as a result my last 2miles i ran in 20mins lol not bad for my run walk theory!!!