Ironman Wales 2012

Comments

• Bought n Paid For;

Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slags mate Tony (forum name tba but he may get stuck with this)
    Slowerthanilook

Is entering but procrastinating on actually paying up:

Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Supporting and Volunteering:

Iron Pingu
  • Bought 'n' paid for
    Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slowerthanilook

Entering but procrastinating on actually paying up
    Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Supporting and Volunteering
    Iron Pingu
    Schmunkee

• Bought 'n' paid for
    Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slowerthanilook

Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Iron Pingu
    Schmunkee
    Mr Zuvai

• Bought 'n' paid for
    Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slowerthanilook

Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Iron Pingu
    Schmunkee
    Mr Zuvai
    M..Triumphant
  • Bought 'n' paid for
    Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slowerthanilook

Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Iron Pingu
    Schmunkee
    Mr Zuvai
    M..Triumphant
    Artful Hen - volunteering image
  • Bought 'n' paid for
    Hokori
    Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slowerthanilook

Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Iron Pingu
    Schmunkee
    Mr Zuvai
    M..Triumphant
    Artful Hen - volunteering
  • I cant seem to be able to break my name from Joddly's image when adding myself to the list ... oh the horror ... finally made it rofl
  • image I copy lists into Notepad to straighten them out when they break.

• I was doing just the same and it looked fine when pasting the text into my box .. but came out wrong. I managed to fix it in a very cheeky way. I added an html break code since I saw that is actually converts it when first loading a paste image
  • Hokori wrote (see)
    . I added an html break code since I saw that is actually converts it when first loading a paste image
    lol.. need an anorac to go with those shades ?
  • "In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest, perhaps obsessive, in niche subjects. This interest may be unacknowledged or not understood by the general public. Although the term is often used synonymously with geek or nerd, the Japanese term otaku or the American term "fanboy/fangirl" are probably closer synonyms."

I had to look it up ... I probably do not need it for IT related content but I sure qualify as a fanboy for plenty of subjects. I believe the original otaku term would not support wikipedia's statement though. I am hesitant to accept html lingo to be a niche subject in an online forum of any sort image.

Anoraks are quite confy so would not mind one at all.

• lol... valid point re html lingo and online forums..  i guess its just a case of me being left over from the days of typewriters image
  • I still have one of those! An old italian machine, heavy as a warhorse.

The typewriter clicking sounds were awesome ... I miss that to be honest .... zzzzzzzchink haha. Back in the day something like CDs was almost science fiction.

• oh-oh! IMW 2012 just happens to be on my birthday! Is that an omen?
  • Considering IM Wales...have never done an IM, and only been to Wales once, but loved it! Any reason I shouldn't take this on as my first? Also, would be bringing the family (wife, 3 kids) and would need a place to stay...preferably with kitchen, etc. Can anyone offer some advice to a fellow triathlete from across the pond?

Do I need to be a pirate to do this race, or post here? Always kind of wanted to be a pirate...

• No you don't - but being a pirate is a state of mind. No "joining" as such, just a desire to race triathlon, not take yourself too seriously, not mind looking silly in the yellow and black kit - oh and being able to down a few beers at the after-race party!

You'll find a lot of advice and help on the forum, as well as a good helping of bs...........welcome.

•  Canuck Kev wrote (see)

Any reason I shouldn't take this on as my first? Also, would be bringing the family (wife, 3 kids) and would need a place to stay...preferably with kitchen, etc. Can anyone offer some advice to a fellow triathlete from across the pond?

Hi Canuck Kev .. No reason at all why Wales shouldnt be your first ... quite a few of us on this years IMW were doing an Ironman for the first time .. and the atmosphere in Wales was just brilliant .. as you'll see elwhere on the forum threads racing in the Pirate colours makes it infinately more achieveable just by virtue of all the additional support you get from the crowd and other competitors

Kiln Park camping and caravan park is pretty well Pirate HQ for the weekend .  

http://www.haven.com/parks/south-wales/kiln-park/index.aspx

see you there image

• ok FB - as resident guru on routes, what would you advise as a possible route to Tenby? Better to drive over, or fly? If I were to fly - where to? Is there an airport fairly close?
  • I'm in! Bought 'n' paid for
    Hokori
    Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slowerthanilook
    Ultra Ironwolf

Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Iron Pingu
    Schmunkee
    Mr Zuvai
    M..Triumphant
  • Sorry! Correcting format ....

I'm in! Bought 'n' paid for
    Hokori
    Joddly
    Kelvyn
    Slagiatt
    Slowerthanilook
    Ultra Ironwolf

Alan W
    Orangecannon
    thedrainman

Iron Pingu
    Schmunkee
    Mr Zuvai
    M..Triumphant

• hi, always thought the pirates were a triathlon club,,maybe i could become a pirate my daughter loved supporting all the pirates at ironman wales i think i am going to need all the support i can get. i have booked into the clarence hotel right by the finish line , free bar 8-9 for residents so i need to finish my first ironman in 13hrs...
  • Not an "official club", we're just a bunch of like-minded people who race in our yellow/black skull and x-bones lycra kit and take the p%ss out of each other on the forum. But you'll never get better support during a race than from the pirate crew.

Hmmm.... hotel right on the finish line sounds good to me........

• sound good couldn,t believe the support the pirates were getting awesome! clarence hotel looks ok phone no.01834844371 dont know if they have any rooms left ,worth a try....
  • where do you get the pirates kit from?
  • Kelvyn, bit of reading.....

http://www.pirateshipoffools.co.uk/

there is a kit article on there that needs updating, and a psof kit thread on here.........

• Hello all - dnf'd this year at 92 miles on the bike - booooo!  Wasn't good.

But I'm going back in 2012 to turn that round and raise more funds for my daughter  - would just like to say thank you to the pirates who were stationed halfway up Wiseman's Bridge - You Rock!!!  Made the hill a lot easier image

• HI

Will hopefully be signing up for Ironman Wales 2012 as soon as I scrape enough funds together. Having done IM UK this year looking forward to a change of scenery.  Will be booking Kiln park accomodation, does anyone know if this is within walking distance to transition for the morning of the race or will I need to get a transport in? Just like to plan ahead! Noticed a few Pirates on the IM UK course and how much support they got. Wondered how you join the PSOF group? image

• Sono. I stopped at 80 miles on the bike and DNF in going back to beat it in 2012, good luck to you too.

Ironnurse. Kiln Park is in walking distance of everything and is Pirate HQ for IMW. I will be staying there 2012 as I think most of the Pirates do.

Just need to get over this 4 week fle/cold man thing to get back into training
  • thedrainman, thanks re Kiln Park will book up.
  • Muaaah haa haa .... and another friend falls victim to the lure or becoming an Iron Man .. met up with my old boss this week and after hearing all about Wales he's signed up . Quote of the eve was his "what the feck are you wearing" in ref to the pirate monaco .. so i think he may still need some convincing to go pirate .