Winter running plans

Hi all,

I am torn between working on developing my 5k and 10k times, or building mileage towards some HM's in 2012. I think the building mileage will be my way ahead, with parkruns (also the Mo-Runnng 5k in November) and any 10k's near me I can fit in.

What are you all planning for the dark nights ahead?

Brian.

Comments

• I love winter - long muddy damp fell runs or crisp sub-zero blue sky mornings where your breath freezes and you can see for miles from the top of the peaks.  So, not so much the dark nights but the glorious long weekend runs... bring it on!
  • I agree with Tigerlily, the morning runs in winter are great - blue skies, nice & fresh!! I struggle with the midweeks runs though. You get home from work and it's dark , hard to motivate myself sometimes to get out.  Does anyone have any ideas ??
  • Tanlash - any chance of you running all/part of your commute?

Welcome btw
  • Hi Omar - thanks for the welcome, good to be a part of this.

I am charged with the school run in the mornings and wouldn't have time to drop my car off and make it to work on time so need to take my car to work and  then drive home. But your idea has got me thinking, maybe I could do a run by work straight after I have finished , then drive home when finished???  

image - thinking now!!!

• RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Back to the fell running in the evenings. This will be my first time by headlamp, which I'm looking forward to immensely.image
  • Redjeep! wrote (see)
    Back to the fell running in the evenings. This will be my first time by headlamp, which I'm looking forward to immensely.image
    I've not run on the fells by headtorch except in summer but I do forest runs with my OH who comes along on his MTB. Forests are spooky in winter so I take him with me..... which is daft really as I bet it's more risky running in urban areas in the dark than where I live in the sticks!
  • Tanlash I take my running kit to work and run straight after I finish either with a few guys from work or on my own depending who is about.  Doing it this way means no chance to let any demotivation hit in your dark commute home! image
  • RedjeepRedjeep ✭✭✭
    Tigerlily wrote (see)
    Redjeep! wrote (see)
    I've not run on the fells by headtorch except in summer but I do forest runs with my OH who comes along on his MTB. Forests are spooky in winter so I take him with me..... which is daft really as I bet it's more risky running in urban areas in the dark than where I live in the sticks!

I'm really looking forward to it and have got my headtorch ready. This Wednesday may be my first practice run (been recovering from injury).

I'm even hoping my club do a Halloween Fell run image just to add to the general spookiness.

• Winter = find mud, go running.  Love it!

Tamlash, I tend to run in my lunch break then eat lunch at my desk.  I'm lucky that I have use of a shower though, which I appreciate not everyone has.  Other than that, the headtorch is pulled out and I go spooky running.

• @ CD/RJeep I'm glad i'm not the only one..... I love midweek spooky running and mud image
  • Thanks to everyone, some great ideas. Not too sure about the headtorch yet though.

Looking forward to Tuesday( day 1 of my weekly schedule!!) 

• Back to the streets and hill work and even treadmill if i have to.i do my running around parks and near the river around a golf course,so i will have to leave them runs until a saturday,so really 1 run in the week around the streets and the other on treadmill.

• I've learnt to love winter as of last year. I'm lucky now my children are at school/pre school in the mornings so I do my running then so rarely venture out in the evenings unless somebody is ill and I have to be at home with them. Winter used to be my hated season but now I am looking forward to it.
  • I'm just thinking of keeping it going through the winter months and not taking a break like I did last year - big mistake.  First run back and:

http://www.houseofdiabolique.com/tinman2.jpg

• Hate the winter, hate the cold. Am not going to run in the dark, far too risky (I don't see well in the dark). Hate freezing, hate numb painful fingers and toes (have raynauds). I can't see anything pleasurable in that at all. It's just a chore. Abvoe all else I hate running in the peeing rain.

I dislike the stopping and starting of offroad running in the winter, the deep muddy puddles on all the tracks and paths. I dislike the sodden ground where the water just sits on top of the grass and the entire run may as well be a swim.

I've never liked winter and I don't like running in winter. Bring on the summer. I should move to Australia.

As for training - don't know how I'm going to fit any in between now and the summer. Been trying to figure that out this eve. Still not got anywhere.

• Tigerlily wrote (see)
    . Forests are spooky in winter so I take him with me..... which is daft really as I bet it's more risky running in urban areas in the dark than where I live in the sticks!

made my laugh image

i live in the sticks too - i turned off my head torch last year -  very dark, no moon light even, very quiet - then all of a sudden a bird made a dart for it out of a hedge that i didnt even know i was standing next to. I 5hit myself and the next 4 miles seemed to go very VERY quickly indeed.  

edit - sorry   should say hi   - im from the otherside - triathlon forum - dont get out often  image

• Anyone else have distinct plans? Welcome along Doner Kebab...good post run meal there image
  • I have started the Runner's World sub 2:15 Half Marathon plan and stuck that into my Garmin - and made some changes to the days etc, and a couple of the distances (eg every time it's 3 miles made it 3.1 to make a nice 5k image)

Brian.