Talkback: Ironman World Championships Contenders: The Women

Hmmm, missing a few athletes out here I think. For example (although I admit to some bias);

http://www.catmorrison.com/?page_id=50

Podium in every ironman she has entered except for Kona, where she has twice started with an ilness.

You've missed some others too, but I'll leave you to return to your research. 

Comments

• If they're looking at contenders for the win I think there's a few too many on the list, to be honest.

But yes, it would be good to see what a fully fit Cat Morrison can do in the race.

• Are you related Alasdair ? But yes I think she stands a good chance - its been sad to see her not live up to the hopes on Kona in the past. Hope she's luckier this time.
  • Crazy validation problems...

Yup, you caught me, Cat is my sister. Pleased to inform that she does not have the swine flu or some other inappropriately timed virus yet (don't want to tempt fate). So all being well, we'll see a much more realistic account of her abilities! Hopefully she'll get some more recognition and no longer being classed as someone who doesn't cope in the heat (IM Lanzarote, St Croix 70.3, IM Texas and 70.3 Texas seem to suggest otherwise...).

If I could find anywhere accepting bets, I'd happily say she'll podium. Think top 3 will be Chrissie, Cat, Miranda, in no particular order. I think 2nd to 10th is very open though. With Cat of course way ahead...

Did I mention I may be biased? 

• Nothing wrong with being biased!! If there's one person I want to beat Chrissie it's Cat, but that might be something to do with being from north of the border myself!

Fingers crossed for her! image

• Best thing Cat can do to ensure she podiums is race in yellow and black!!!

Loved her tweet about getting a suntan as two of her freckles have joined up!

Hope the weather is kind to her on the day. I think Chrissie first, probably Rinny second and a great battle for third. Would like to see Julie Dibens, Cat, Leanda Cave, Rachel Joyce, Xena and Mary Beth Ellis have a really great race of it.

Tell her this is the place for her official race report! None of the pros ever visit our little forum!

• I know Chrissie came off her bike the other week - I wonder if that will take something out of her ?

I'd love to get a bet on, but I cant find anywhere either.

Go Cat !
  • Gladys (all over!) M. wrote (see)
    Loved her tweet about getting a suntan as two of her freckles have joined up!

I can relate to that!! image It's called a Scottish Suntan when you go from blue to white!! imageimage

• Ah well, a good day for the Brits anyway. Wellington is just a supreme competitor. How well did Leanda Cave do as well!
  • The girls did an astounding job

Pity they wont get the media attention that they deserve
  • The BBC site is over a week out of date with info about Kona, if a footballer had farted it would have been updated quicker.
  • Yes, coverage here is a joke, considering how many world class athletes we have. Unless it's an olympic sport, football or rugby, forget about media interest! Crazy how they are all much more well known in the US and Australia etc...

Great Britain - Fostering athletic talent (as long as we like your sport). 

• Hats off to Cat! But I did say that to podium she needed to race in black and yellow! #justsaying image

Send her congrats for a great season from the Pirates!
  • Alasdair .... do you partake in the old tri religion yourself ??????    image
  • Will pass on the good wishes!

Ha ha, hells no I don't triathlon! It would be too much to bear being beaten by my sister all the time! I'll stick to ball games, racquet sports and mediocre 10k times! 

• You sound like ideal pirate potential    image
  • Alasdair Morrison 2 wrote (see)

Yes, coverage here is a joke, considering how many world class athletes we have. Unless it's an olympic sport, football or rugby, forget about media interest! Crazy how they are all much more well known in the US and Australia etc...

Australia isn't that much better unfortunately.The race/results itself didn't even make the front page of the main Australian news website and the article re Crowie, Pete and Miranda's results all feature in one article at the bottom of the sports news page titled 'Aussie makes triathlon history.' Needless to say, there was quite a delay till the article even being published. The rugby results went live on the main news page as soon as the game finished.

• That surprises me about Oz. One of my friends just moved there and says he has met more people that have heard of Cat in one month than he ever did living in Glasgow. 
  • Who's Cat?

Just kidding. My comment above was referring to the media coverage, or lack thereof, not the public's awareness. Is your friend a triathlete too?
  • Usually better public awareness means the media coverage is better too... I think the Aussies take participation in exercise far more seriously though, so that migt be why.

Nope, he's also not a triathlete. It's just for crazy folks!