headache after running

I'm fairly new to this running lark, but have hit a bit of a problem. Whenever I have a really good run (over 6 miles or 60 minutes) I tend to develop a headache soon after finishing. I always take water with me (250ml) but don't eat before I run as I get indigestion. I now drink some water with a rehydration tablet in when I've finished, but last night still found myself getting a stinking headache.

Is it just me, or is there something that I should be doing?

Cheers!

Comments

• Hi I get the same not all the time just now & then but I do suffer migrains , as you have already said drink with rehydration tablets , a 10 mile run I will have 2 pints with tablets & 2 just water this really helps . Also avoid dark chocolate & parcetamol these can make it worse . If they persist see your doctor you can get some migrain tabs on prescription melt on Tongue work in an hour
    Hope this helps Martin
  • BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Whereabouts in your head is the pain and what sort of pain?

• It's like someone pressing down on my head. Looking at jacktomomax's reply, I wonder if I'm getting dehydrated. I'm only having about 330ml after a run.
  • stutyrstutyr ✭✭✭

hydration isn't just after the run - make sure you've drunk enough in the day before your run.  As a simple test try drinking 1 or 2 litres of water the day before.  If you run in the morning before work, then just a small drink before setting out.  If you run in the evening try drinking 1 litre of water during the day.  You'll probably pee lots during the day, but as long as you stop drinking at least an hour befor your run you should be OK while you are out.

Then see how you feel afterwards. If it gets rid of the headache, you can then experiment to find out how much additional fluid you need to add to your daily routine.

• BookyBooky ✭✭✭

Unless you're poorly hydrated before you run it's not likely that the headache would be due to dehydration. It's an easy thing to test though - make sure you drink regularly throughout the day to keep hydration levels up and either take a drink with you or drink plenty once you've finished your run.

Some people just get headaches with higher intensity exercise - I'm one of them! If I'm doing anything over an hour I take an ibuprofen before I start and it tends to keep them at bay.

Another option could be poor posture - hunching your shoulders or clenching your jaw whilst you run.

• Low blood sugar might also be am issue. Make sure you eat something in the 20minsor so after you finish.
  • Lots to try there. I'm looking forward to my next run so I can give it a whirl.
  • Hey there... i had the *exact* same problem when i first started increasing my miles. I ran my first 5.6km back in July then started training for a half marathon. I was getting two-day headaches (horrible to put up with) and asked the same question on a separate forum here.  

Managed to solve it myself by eating within 20 mins of finishing my run. I've not had a headache since - and i've completed the Royal Parks half-marathon this weekend without a hint of a headache! image good luck, hope this helps!

• Had something to eat within 30 minutes of finishing tonight, and no headache. It was only a short "stretch my legs" but I'm certainly feeling better than I normally do.
  • Today was more challenging so I took a banana with me and started to eat it as I began my cool down. It definitely helped.