RunLiverpool Marathon 2012

The date is fixed at 14th October for the second RLM and the planning actually started some weeks ago. Once the event debrief is out of the way (and the problems regarding the delay have been remedied!!) we can look at a range of improvements across the whole event.

Probably the one big difference will be the 2 day Expo / Registration at the Echo Arena on Friday, 12th and Saturday, 13th October.

Lots to consider and plan over the next twelve months but entries should be open in just a couple of weeks.

As ever, I will be delighted to keep you informed as to progress.

I was thinking of arranging a number of event evenings as part social and part informative events.

Any suggestions on venue, frequency...

Comments

• Is it wrong to want to register before I can even walk following the last one?

Bring it on.
  • Don't let the grass grow and all that.

At least (hopefully) people won't be able to complain about lack of notice of the event, the date has already been in the echo

• regarding traffic ignoring the road closures, i actually took a picture of the lorries just after mile 10 that decided to drive onto the course taking no notice of the road closures!!!

yeah socials are a good idea Alan ( even tho we live so far away lol ) it was great to meet so many runners from the forum ( we would have probably met more if there had been a first aid tent image) but a runnersworld meeting place before hand would be a good idea lol

• compo 1compo 1 ✭✭✭
    hope the Police catch these people who drove on your closed course they are just idiots
  • Yay....somewhere new to hang out!!  I can't wait for entries to open for next years 'half'....nevermind 14/10/12!!  I'm also looking forward to the Santa Dash....and I know Mrs XD is too!!

If the sucessful marathon hasn't already filled you to the brim with pride.....with the 'Fab Four Miler' you've also managed to get a very committed 'non-runner' to take part and finish with her PB!!! Mrs XD now seems hooked and whilst she swears that her limit is 10k....I'm hoping I can get her to join me in the 'Half' by March!!

Just one quick question on this infant page.....what's the current situatioin regarding the 'Festival of Running' planned for 5/6 May?  And if it is going ahead, when would the womens 10k be held?  

Thanks again for 9/10/11 and I really can't wait for 14/10/12!!!

• XabiDood, I was looking at the Festival of Running info page the other night, and it says the women's 10k will be on the 6th.  No times yet though.

Man, it only takes 3 days and I'm already contemplating changing my mind from doing the Fab Four/volunteering the marathon for '12, to trying to find someone to drag around the course with me in an attempt to beat Upper Parliament Street.  image

• Hmmm....6/5/12 might make it a difficult decision for me!!!  Mrs XD has pencilled the Womens 10k in as her goal, and obviously I'd like to be there to cheer her on to the finish.  BUT.....after missing out for two years for different reasons......I'm really tempted by the Belfast Marathon on 7/5/12!!

Decisions, decisionsimage!!!

• I'm working on all aspects of the 2012 programme constantly and details regarding the Festival of Running will be available soon. It will be on Saturday, 5th May and Sunday, 6th May. the Women's 10K will be part of the weekend.

I really enjoyed the Fab Four Miler and would like to develop that aspect of the marathon weekend for non marathon runners. Will probably run it myself next year!

I'm already looking at reducing the amount of marathon miles in Sefton Park and tweaking the course where necessary!! Upward and onward...
  • I will probably be up for doing it again, although I might consider doing chester instead just for a change, ill see how I feel about the new course. Weird the way I thought on sunday I would never do one again and now 4 days later I am planning my next marathon
  • Joe - that's generally the way it goes! I did one and said never again and now I'm putting one on!!
  • I'm up for it - and I may even train for the next one !

I thought Sefton Park was fine. I think it was quite good never being quite sure if you still had to do the loop that the runners you could see in the distance were on or not.
  • I'm going to have to do the marathon again next year, just to prove to myself that my slow time was down to helping someone else round and not the fact that I am that slow.

I would like to praise everyone at the water stations again. I have never had such helpful, encouraging people in a race before, they were second to none.
  • 15West15West ✭✭✭

Maybe not doing this one in 2012, may try the Chester one as also fairly local to me, variety being the spice of life and all that. But, I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone out there interested - thought it was brill - coming out of that tunnel to the drums and the fantastic Liverpool crowds will stay with me forever.

Alan - be nice to be able to rate this on this site - can it not be registered with runnersworld website or something so can be rated in the future?

• YOU SWINES!

You started without me!

A girl can get a complex you know.image

Alan - It's Mr LB's birthday on 14/10. If we can get him a PA shout for putting up with me for 20 years - you're on!

• Found you!

I can't wait for next year. I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of this marathon from starting training and the lovely people I have met a long the way, right through to crossing the finish line. Maybe if I can stay injury free next year I can actually do myself justice in my time. This was my only disappointment .

Alan, have you considered a junior race for the marathon weekend. I know my kids love to run and am sure there are plenty of others. Event evenings sound good, the social aspect is all part of the wonderful marathon experience. It makes you know that you're not alone in your suffering.

LB are you going to run next year then? 

• As I will have reached the tender age of 40, 11 days prior to it, Like someone not too far away image I think my old bones might be able to drag me around in a quicker time than this year!

I'll look forward to social evenings Alan, as for venues, Anfield has some good function rooms image 

• Scouse Elvis, YOU ARE CONSIDERING DOING IT AGAIN !!!!!!!  also alan is an everton fan, does that make a difference for using rooms at anfield is that allowed ??? I'm not into football at all so wouldnt know lol

you have to do the fab four run again Alan, it made such a difference to my weekend coming up to cheer Ulen MAABOF as i felt so part of the whole marathon weekend experience, especially when i wore my fab four t.shirt to shout to the runners on saturday and I had loads of runners shout back at me, i did that yesterday too 

What is the Festival of running? not heard of this, 

LB you have been with Mr LB 20 years!!! OMG congratulations, thats amazing 

The other thing about Sefton park although many of the runners didnt like it, alot of people who were specatacting have said it was good as they saw the runners they were supporting several times in the park without having to go very far 

and Paul22, i cheered you on ( not sure if you remember me at mile 15 ) I only know this as now i see ur picture on the FB group page they have created and OMG How tall is Beer & Lard!!!!!

• HannahsmomUK wrote (see)
    The other thing about Sefton park although many of the runners didnt like it, alot of people who were specatacting have said it was good as they saw the runners they were supporting several times in the park without having to go very far
     I may have liked Sefton Park moreso had my friends come to that part of the course at all image
  • Think I will be in for this one.   Chester and then Liverpool in 2 weekends,  what A challenge.

• Hannahsmom, I always said I would do Liverpool as my only road marathon next year. I will attempt to do a trail event up to or beyond marathon distance as I prefer being off road and now I've had nearly a years experience of running, I think I will pace myself better next month when I possibly run the Yorkshire Ultra Trail Race image
  • Oh no my brother is getting married in Gretna Green the day before.

How long does it take to get back from Gretna?
  • Anyone know when entries for the half marathon open?

Is the route similar to the marathon on the Liverpool side?

Cheers!
  • Gretna Green is only 4 hours or so - simple !

The Half route last year was pretty similar to the second half of the Marathon, except we came back along the promenade rather than the roads.
  • Alan

Would it be possible to get a finishers certifficate with the finishing time on next year?

• Certificates can be made available but they would have to be charged for. No idea how much.

Half Marathon entries will be open from next Tuesday. The course is not the same as the 2nd half of the Marathon course.
  • Cheers cougie I've just checked on google maps it says 2hrs 30 I'm even more determined to run it next year having had to pull out of this years race late on.
  • Jimbojet - it's not a surprise, it's just that I have to rearrange the start and finish and move it from side of the Liverpool Arena to the other (to where the marathon finished) and this will entail changes to the course .

It returns from Sefton Park along the promenade via Otterspool Park.
  • cougie wrote (see)
    I'm up for it - and I may even train for the next one !

image Steady now that sounds a bit advanced. image

I'm up for it next year. image