Ironman Wales 2012

Comments

• Kelvyn, that's where I stayed this year, the rooms are basic but it did the job very well for me and the family.

My head was all over the place pre IM (forgot my bike repair kits at home so needed to rebuy everything) and needed to pick up Pirate colours from FB...so being so close enabled me to pop back as much as I wanted. Also on the day I could pop to the bike racks, pump-up the tyres, load-up the gels and then go back to the Hotel to finish off the rest of the mornings prep and pick up the family....and lastly I was a whimp...lying awake in those early hours, with the wind and rain lashing it down, I was soooooo glad not to be in a tent with the family image

The pint afterwards with my Dad, which was 'on the house' in the relative quiet of the hotel was also another of the cherished memories from that day.
  • Sounds good to me too - I don't mind camping in general but not before/after an IM, need a bit of comfort and a nice hot bath or shower on demand. Had enough of camping in the rain in Switzerland.
  • The camping conditions this year were, erm 'special'! image
  • i still need to find replacement poles after several broke on the last night courtesy of hurricane irene

it was a bit of a shame - cause everyone packed up and left on the monday - nobody fancied another night of gale force winds!

• I didn't think it waas that bad? Oh yeah... I was living like Royalty over in the 'statics image
  • Although I'm only in Tenby next year in a volunteering capacity, on the day they released the race date I booked a 3 bed caravan.  Worked out the same price as 3 of us camping this year!
  • God dammit ... i looked last week but didnt book it , just gone back on the site to book my live like a pikey luxury weekend experience  and the price has almost doubled ... didnt take Haven very long to cotton on that it's the IM weekend image 

• Iron Pingu how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? It cost me something like £280 for 3 nights this year
  • And just so you all know....

although I'm back on here after three weeks away... that doesn't mean I'm signing up for next year. No it doesn't. Definitely not.

• GB you soo know you'll be doing it mate image

Just cost me £311 for the three nights ... same spec was less than £200 a week ago  <kicks himself for not just booking the thing in the first place >

• i know I wish to have a social life this year unlike 2011. image After splitting with the OH I really need to try and meet more people in and around London, rather than living in the relationship/IM training bubble that I was this year

I also need to bare in mind that I could get moved quite easily to a new location in a couple of months or so, which would probably leave me living in hotels and therefore make cycling difficult!

Saying that though, I do like the idea of doing the double with yourself rather than just doing one. No point building all of that fitness and letting it go to waste on an easy course like the Outlaw image

• Sorry guys, paid £165 ...

• Its my own stupid fault IP .. didnt book it last week as was hoping to get another pay day in first .. didnt spot the pay deposit only option until today ... oh well... i'll recover my losses when i sub let the sofa to soggy campers on race night image

• So it was mentioned that Kiln Park was walking distance...could I get some clarification? I've looked at it online, and it looks like you've got to cross tracks, the golf course, etc. I'm not worried about me, but my wife will have a 9yo, 7yo, and 8 month old (in a buggy) to get to the finish line from our rental.

Is it an easy walk for her?

• you don't have to cross tracks if you don't want to - there are various routes from KP into the town but with the tribe in tow it might be easier across the tracks (there's a bridge) and then follow the pathway up the side of the golf course into town - no obstacles to speak of and very straightforward. it looks worse on a map than the real deal. it's about a 20min walk if you're on your own so longer with the tribe

there's a quicker route which has a few small obstacles which is the one most people use but with a buggy your wife may not find it so easy.
  • With the kids it would not be a problem, not so sure with a buggy as there is a steep hill depending on which way you go and a path which could get a bit muddy after heavy rain. It's about 20-30 minutes depending on where you are in the campsite
  • Thanks for your advice. Considering some hotel options in town as well...any advice? Anything to avoid? This is great...you guys are a big help.

One last question...any way I can incorporate some Canada into the Pirate kit (or vice versa)?

• CK - can't help on the hotel thang - plenty of them in Tenby though at varying prices. I guess with tired kids at the end of a long day, you might want to avoid anything too close to the finish so they can get to sleep - the finish line will be hammering away until midnight.

as for the kit - it is what it is - no variations/no names. that's been a given from the start. although being Canadian you might be able to bring a load over to save costs - it's made by Louis Garneau in your country!
  • I stayed at the Fourcroft which overlooks the North Beach where the swim start was - my wife and daughter watched from the bedroom at 7am before making their way down to see me after lap 1.  I expect IMW will keep the swim at North Beach due to the positive reviews but can't be sure (the long course weekend training event in June has confirmed it will use North Beach).

They were really accomodating and set aside a meeting room to store bikes, laid on a great breakfast from 4am etc. 

Highly recommended.

• Darkness...they've said on the website that the swim will be on South Beach this year...not sure why the change. FB...I'll have to find some other way to identify myself as Canadian...I'll be too tired to say 'eh' to everyone I meet.
  • CK - the swim this year was supposed to be South Beach but the weather conditions were awful so it was changed at the last minute to North Beach which is more sheltered.

many who took part feel they should keep it at North Beach as it created a special atmosphere on the day - go check out some of the IMWales swim videos on YouTube to see - and the extra 1km transition from swim to T1 added some "spice" to the event (they took the distance off the marathon!).

I think it will be a shame moving it to South Beach but I don't think it will make a huge difference to the event - it should still be a great swim - if conditions are good!
  • After this years goggle catastrophe. i'll all signed up for 2012.

thanks for the room Iron Pingu image you're a star.

it was great to meet you all there this year now i'm finally signed up to the forum.

• Hey that's great news WND ! . Swim cap over goggle strap perhaps this time maybe ... Be on the safe side image
  • i would have signed up ages ago but took a long time thinking up a forum name.

imangine having to introduce yourself at races as something like pingu pongu image

• image Oi ! It's not that embaressing, no, not at all!  I like the name WND.  Double goggles this year image
  • I'm in...signed up at lunch. Feels good to be committed, now I've just got to put the time in! Will be continuing to pick the collective brains here for advice as the months go on. Looking forward to meeting you all next September!
  • Iron Pingu wrote (see)
    image Oi ! It's not that embaressing, no, not at all! I like the name WND. Double goggles this year image

one of my favourite moments from this year was asking you what your forum name was and getting a rather embarrassed ...."errmmm...pingu pongu"

i actually don't thinks its too bad a name at all - was only funny because of your embarrassment image

good to see you about WND!! - you'll ace it this time