Fink for Outlaw 2012

Comments

• I bought some cheap ones from Ribble. Hindsight is 20/20!

Go back to the place that did your fitting, and get what they recommend, and get the bike set up for it. I have had a good attempt, but couldn't get much power in to wind at Dorney the other week. Saddle kept digging in where it shouldn't image.

• Thanks Cat - I'm having another bike fit next month when my saddle comes into stock so I thought I'd get them fitted at the same time.  But its at the Specialized concept store and didn't see a range of clip on bars there. They suggested I buy some elsewhere and take them with me.
  • Great! I've heard good things about Profile T1 or T2 (depending on whether you want ski or S-bend). YMMV!
  • ski??  S bend???  image

I have actually been looking at the T2's on Wiggle that have great reviews.

Ahhhh - I see now, the T2's(s) are flatter than the T1s(ski)image  I assume the ski would be easier to use as a beginner.

• Cat. What's your max hr then? 205 or something . I wish I was that fit image
  • FWIW Soup, I have the T2+ as my LBS had recommended them and find the bars really comfortable.  I have the waterbottle too and find it okay.. It's a good idea to get the bars sooner than later so you can get used to them. Otherwise they can end up as a handy airer image

• Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    Cat. What's your max hr then? 205 or something . I wish I was that fit image

or that young   image
  • M...eldy wrote (see)
    Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    Cat. What's your max hr then? 205 or something . I wish I was that fit image

or that young   image
    cheeky bagger    im 39    a very young 39 or so i tell myself, but in reality i talk to kids and wonder wtf they are on about.
  • Thanks Ninja. image 

I already have a handy airer in my turbo trainer. image

• I have the MHR of a 16yo!

It was 204 when I did my 5k PB. It was a cold day and the garmin showed a steady rise towards the end, so I find it believable. It alsmost correlates with an old Tesco HRM that showed 221 on a 5k.

Soupy - I have ski bends. They hold the helmet easier in T1.

• TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Schmunks and M.eldy for the Winterswim link, think I might sign up to see how the swimming goes.

Anyone come across White oak tri along the way as they are my local club?
  • I'm another one with a sillily high MRH - have regularly seen 206-9 when hill training.
  • Cat   how old are you mate if you dont mind?  and have you always been active?

what i want to know is = am i really pushing myself or just too many years sat on my arse image

• 33, and I sat on my arse until NYE 2009; an excercise-phobic. My HR has always been high.

• Is your resting HR high too then, Cat?
  • Sitting here it would appear so: 60 - 70. Proper resting is <45.

I did get up to get my HRM though image. What's your Frodo?

• Wow! I leave my computer for a few hours and come back to 4 pages! image Wonderful to have everyone join us.

ST - Yes, I'm thrilled to find out I'm now 907th. What an idiot! And a cheet! And a xxxxx image

Anyway, it seems there is going to be quite a number all doing about the same.

It's bit late for me know, but tomorrow I'll post the first week of the "just finish" and "intermediate" too. I guess some will start a few weeks early.

Thanks Schmunkee for those tips. Will give it a go tomorrow and see if I can manage it - but you are so much more technical and details minded then me.

Oh boy, this is going to fun! image

• Cat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Sitting here it would appear so: 60 - 70. Proper resting is <45.

I did get up to get my HRM though image. What's your Frodo?

If I do it properly (as in the morning, without moving from bed) it is around 37-8. During the day, if sat on the sofa kind of thing, it hovers around the high 40's.

I had a proper HRM malfunction this morning, though - it tried to tell me my HR was between 50-70 during my ride in to work! And that included a rather shameful "race" with a gentleman of a certain age on a folding bike imageimage

• Morning all!

Frodo - I bet his HR was unusually high.....do you use %age of HR for training, or something like Karvonen?

• But did you beat him Frodo?
  • I think we called it an honourable draw at the point he turned off the main road!

I use %HRM as calculated using the Parker - HRM Training for Complete Idiots image

• Running Postie wrote (see)

If you having real trouble with HR zones then my advice (I am qualified as a personel trainer, just as a hobbyimage) is used the Percieved rate of exertion scale, RPE1 =sedate stroll pace up to RPE 10+ maxed out pace couldn't go any paster and want to die pace.

zone 4= rpe 9

zone 3= rpe 8

zone 2=rpe 6/7

zone 1= rpe 5/6

I hope this is of help.

I've Fink plan spread sheet and you do a 5 mile run as a time trial and record you average HR for last 20 mins and enter that in the box and it gives your zone for running and cycling.

Min Max Run Zones

Zone 1 Less than 85% of LTHR < 134.4
    Zone 2 85% to 89% of LTHR 136 142.4
    Zone 3 90% to 94% of LTHR 144 150.4
    Zone 4 95% to 99% of LTHR 152 158.4
    Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR 160 163.2
    Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR 164.8 169.6
    Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR 171.2 >

Bike Zones

Zone 1 Less than 81% of LTHR < 128
    Zone 2 81% to 89% of LTHR 129.6 142.4
    Zone 3 90% to 93% of LTHR 144 148.8
    Zone 4 94% to 99% of LTHR 150.4 158.4
    Zone 5a 100% to 102% of LTHR 160 163.2
    Zone 5b 103% to 106% of LTHR 164.8 169.6
    Zone 5c More than 106% of LTHR 171.2 >

I've just done a ride at what I would say was RPE 8 (10 mile TT= RPE 10) and averaged 120 bpm, did about 23 miles and ran out of steam, then took it easy for the last 10 mile (RPE 5.5), HR went down to 100-105 bpm.

Just realised I've been looking at the run zones, not the bike zones, but I'm still 10 bpm off getting into zone 2 at RPE 8.

I'm thinking of working with a new made up system;

Target Outlaw Race Pace (TORP);

TORP 1 = 16.5 mph  (rpe 6)
    TORP 2 = 19 mph  (rpe 8)
    TORP 3 = 21 mph rpe (9+)

(not sure of the numbers there, they have been randomly plucked from somewhere, would have to set some benchmarks to establish proper parameters)

• Im in for this, great idea

Structure to my training is going to be a god send, i was planning on using Fink anyway so it will be great to follow the journey with others

i have started a bit of a base programme already, just trying to get my body used to training almost everyday

6 1/2 hours last week

7 hours planned this week, Turbo time tonight, lucky me

• Marshalini. You can't attribute speed to rpe, that's the whole point of rpe
  • I use the Parker formulation for HR zones too.  Fab book. image
  • and you certainly dont want to be hitting 8/9 RPE on an ironman bike leg!
  • Doner Kebab wrote (see)
    Marshalini. You can't attribute speed to rpe, that's the whole point of rpe
    which witch wrote (see)
    and you certainly dont want to be hitting 8/9 RPE on an ironman bike leg!

I've no idea what I'll be doing then. Guess I'll just ride my bike best I can before hand and wing it on the day.

• Marshallini - get yourself this book.  Its been recommended by all sorts o people on here who seem to know what they are on about and its easy to read. 
  • TJ1004TJ1004 ✭✭✭

jUST PUT MY MONEY WHERE MY MOUTH IS AND SIGNED UP OFFICIALLY FOR OUTLAW!

better start taking this stuff seriously nowimage